Old 14-08-2005, 11:04 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
jw 1111 wrote:

"Geo" wrote in message
.. .
On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 10:28:07 GMT, "jw 1111"

wrote:

Hi, i have been given some soil, buts it's 100 meters away and there is no
access for a wheelborrow, or any path suitable for wheeled transport.

What is wrong with the path - boggy? steps? - more data required...

many thanks to all. there is no path just up and down downtrodden through
brambles and round a narrow ledge.

What's wrong with a rucksac? If you can't move it that way, you can't
move it at all.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 14-08-2005, 02:19 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from Jupiter contains these words:

Do you have access to a donkey with
panniers?

It's so refreshing when somebody thinks up a completely original
question to ask here :-)

Janet.
Old 14-08-2005, 06:27 PM
Hazel

"jw 1111" wrote in message
Hi, i have been given some soil, buts it's 100 meters away and there is no
access for a wheelborrow, or any path suitable for wheeled transport.
so far i have been using supermarket plastic bags. (my plastic buckets do
not hold much more and i have to hold them out to stop banging my legs,
which makes my arms ache more than using the plastic bags).

since i want quite a lot, any tips on the best way to transport it?

Carry it in bags the same way a coal man carries coal bags

Hazel

Old 14-08-2005, 07:12 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from martin contains these words:

Definitely a job for a donkey or mule.

You can use it for growing rhubarb, when it's knackered. Rusty will
describe exactly how.

Yes, plant a grape vine over it, and grow the rhubarb somewhere else.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 14-08-2005, 08:00 PM
doug

"Hazel" wrote in message

"jw 1111" wrote in message
Hi, i have been given some soil, buts it's 100 meters away and there is
no access for a wheelborrow, or any path suitable for wheeled transport.
so far i have been using supermarket plastic bags. (my plastic buckets do
not hold much more and i have to hold them out to stop banging my legs,
which makes my arms ache more than using the plastic bags).

since i want quite a lot, any tips on the best way to transport it?

Carry it in bags the same way a coal man carries coal bags

Hazel

***************
Providing the distance is within reasonable walking distance there should be
no problem so long as you are not crippled.
You take your gardener's sack truck (and if you haven't got one you are a
rookie so go to your Ironmongers or Garden Centre but beforehand sacrifice a
couple of nights dahn the pub and use the money saved to buy said gardener's
sack-truck and you'll bless the day.
I couldn't operate without mine.
But beware! , - don't lend it out. I lost my last one and forgot who I
loaned it to. Let 'em do without the booze.
You had to!
Doug.
**************

Old 14-08-2005, 08:02 PM
Mike Lyle

Hazel wrote:
"jw 1111" wrote in message
Hi, i have been given some soil, buts it's 100 meters away and

there
is no access for a wheelborrow, or any path suitable for wheeled
transport.
so far i have been using supermarket plastic bags. (my plastic
buckets do not hold much more and i have to hold them out to stop
banging my legs, which makes my arms ache more than using the
plastic bags).

since i want quite a lot, any tips on the best way to transport

it?

Carry it in bags the same way a coal man carries coal bags

Hazel

Am I missing something here? You mean there's no wheelbarrow run at
either end of the route? No path or reasonably level strip at all in
between? If that's your position, you should, of course, move house.
But meanwhile, invite everybody you know to an earth-moving party:
you lay on a vast quantity of beer and wine and curry or something,
and tell them to bring their own sacks and shovels. My second wife
threw a wallpaper-stripping party on this principle, and the job was
done, and everybody had a great time and giggled all the way home.
Think of Amish barn-raising, and old-style Highland potato-planting:
we need more cooperative ventures like that.

--
Mike.

Old 14-08-2005, 08:22 PM
doug

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
Hazel wrote:
"jw 1111" wrote in message
[...]

************
Sorry, Mike!. I must demur. Make it tea, - preferably Earl Gray
doncherknow, and a few cakies. It is irresponsible to send a load of boozers
off pi-eyed and swerving their motorcars all over the roads. (:^).
Doug.

***********

Old 14-08-2005, 10:03 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Mike Lyle" contains these words:

Am I missing something here? You mean there's no wheelbarrow run at
either end of the route? No path or reasonably level strip at all in
between? If that's your position, you should, of course, move house.
But meanwhile, invite everybody you know to an earth-moving party:
you lay on a vast quantity of beer and wine and curry or something,
and tell them to bring their own sacks and shovels. My second wife
threw a wallpaper-stripping party on this principle, and the job was
done, and everybody had a great time and giggled all the way home.
Think of Amish barn-raising, and old-style Highland potato-planting:
we need more cooperative ventures like that.

Not only potato planting - in many areas crofting villagers will spend a
week digging peat communally - like a holiday, it is, with lots of
picnic.

And sheep-dipping and shearing is often a communal affair, and when the
salmon are running - oops! I know nothing, yer 'onner!

Old 15-08-2005, 03:09 PM
shorty

Wait till 'bob a job' week.

Or

Round up some keen young men, offer them drink and sandwiches.

Or

Round up some keen young sexist women, tell them the young men can do
the job in a day. The women should be then be able to do it in half a
day with no drink or food.

Old 16-08-2005, 04:16 PM
Mike Lyle

doug wrote:
"Mike Lyle" wrote in [...]
[...]

(:^).

Well, OK, subject to the usual common-sense rules. I wasn't trying to
encourage the OP's friends to DUI!

--
Mike.