Old 13-08-2005, 11:28 AM
jw 1111

Default free soil without wheelbarrow use.

Hi, i have been given some soil, buts it's 100 meters away and there is no
access for a wheelborrow, or any path suitable for wheeled transport. so
far i have been using supermarket plastic bags. (my plastic buckets do not
hold much more and i have to hold them out to stop banging my legs, which
makes my arms ache more than using the plastic bags).

since i want quite a lot, any tips on the best way to transport it?

Old 13-08-2005, 11:54 AM
JennyC

"jw 1111" wrote in message
Hi, i have been given some soil, buts it's 100 meters away and there is no
access for a wheelborrow, or any path suitable for wheeled transport. so
far i have been using supermarket plastic bags. (my plastic buckets do not
hold much more and i have to hold them out to stop banging my legs, which
makes my arms ache more than using the plastic bags).

since i want quite a lot, any tips on the best way to transport it?

Make some sort of contraption to put on your back like a rucksack?
A large container fitted somehow with straps ??

There are also 'back packs' with a head strap to help distribute the weight:
http://www.eurekalert.org/features/k...-cso060805.php

And this Senegal women has the right idea :~))
http://image24.webshots.com/25/1/5/5...7PoCpgy_ph.jpg

HTH
Jenny

Old 13-08-2005, 01:19 PM
Broadback

martin wrote:
On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 12:54:17 +0200, "JennyC"
wrote:

And this Senegal women has the right idea :~))
http://image24.webshots.com/25/1/5/5...7PoCpgy_ph.jpg

Isn't that the LPG model?

These models are quite popular with male gardeners
http://www.rosings.com/bali3.jpg

http://www.rosings.com/coolies.jpg

How about a stout pole, then place a supermarket bag on each end, and
pole over the shoulder. A yoke would be better but not cheap and hard
to come by.
Old 13-08-2005, 01:37 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from "jw 1111" contains these words:

Hi, i have been given some soil, buts it's 100 meters away and there is no
access for a wheelborrow, or any path suitable for wheeled transport. so
far i have been using supermarket plastic bags. (my plastic buckets do not
hold much more and i have to hold them out to stop banging my legs, which
makes my arms ache more than using the plastic bags).

since i want quite a lot, any tips on the best way to transport it?

Large woven plastic sacks with HD webbing handles..preferably, long
handles so that you can carry them from one shoulder, much less strain
for your arms (and back). They are featherlight but very strong and
rot-proof. I have a couple of old ones I use in the garden which came
from some garden centre long ago; and one I use for storing the dirty
laundry which came from a domestic-supplies shop run by Indians. It cost
50 p :-) I also have a broad webbing sling which can be slipped through
small handles, to make a shoulder carry-strap (Or tied round big bundles
of foliage. etc to carry from the shoulder..a very useful garden asset).

I find that sort of awkward, repetitive job is easiest to tackle if
you just spend a couple of minutes at it every day until it's done. . If
you're very busy or feeling tired, just load up the bag for moving
later. It's surprising how much you can do without exhausting yourself
or doing yourself an injury, just by breaking down a big job into tiny
contributory parts.

Janet.
Old 13-08-2005, 01:41 PM
jw 1111

wrote:

And this Senegal women has the right idea :~))
http://image24.webshots.com/25/1/5/5...7PoCpgy_ph.jpg

Isn't that the LPG model?

These models are quite popular with male gardeners
http://www.rosings.com/bali3.jpg

http://www.rosings.com/coolies.jpg

How about a stout pole, then place a supermarket bag on each end, and pole
over the shoulder. A yoke would be better but not cheap and hard to come
by.

thanks to all. i thought of the pole, but reckon the tops of my shoulders
would not take kindly to it ?

Old 13-08-2005, 01:43 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from Broadback contains these words:

How about a stout pole, then place a supermarket bag on each end, and
pole over the shoulder.

Excellent idea. Or two people in line, could carry an end of the pole
each on their shoulder. Shoulder padding would be good.

Janet
Old 13-08-2005, 02:31 PM
Pam Moore

On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 13:37:12 +0100, Janet Baraclough
wrote:

The message
from "jw 1111" contains these words:

Hi, i have been given some soil, buts it's 100 meters away and there is no
access for a wheelborrow, or any path suitable for wheeled transport. so
far i have been using supermarket plastic bags. (my plastic buckets do not
hold much more and i have to hold them out to stop banging my legs, which
makes my arms ache more than using the plastic bags).

since i want quite a lot, any tips on the best way to transport it?

Large woven plastic sacks with HD webbing handles..preferably, long
handles so that you can carry them from one shoulder, much less strain
for your arms (and back). They are featherlight but very strong and
rot-proof. I have a couple of old ones I use in the garden which came
from some garden centre long ago;

I don't know how much weight they'd hold, but for many garden jobs I
use the big blue bags that Ikea sell, similar to the yellow ones for
use in store.

Pam in Bristol
Old 13-08-2005, 03:53 PM
Kay

In article , jw 1111
writes

wrote:

And this Senegal women has the right idea :~))
http://image24.webshots.com/25/1/5/5...7PoCpgy_ph.jpg

Isn't that the LPG model?

These models are quite popular with male gardeners
http://www.rosings.com/bali3.jpg

http://www.rosings.com/coolies.jpg

How about a stout pole, then place a supermarket bag on each end, and pole
over the shoulder. A yoke would be better but not cheap and hard to come
by.

thanks to all. i thought of the pole, but reckon the tops of my shoulders
would not take kindly to it ?

Try two poles, one to each shoulder, each with 2 bags, and put a thick
pad under each pole to protect your shoulders.

--
Kay

Old 13-08-2005, 04:40 PM
Bob Hobden

"jw 1111" wrote ...
Hi, i have been given some soil, buts it's 100 meters away and there is no
access for a wheelborrow, or any path suitable for wheeled transport.
so far i have been using supermarket plastic bags. (my plastic buckets do
not hold much more and i have to hold them out to stop banging my legs,
which makes my arms ache more than using the plastic bags).

since i want quite a lot, any tips on the best way to transport it?

If the narrow part is not too long I believe you can hire small portable
conveyer belts to transport stuff through narrow gaps. Certainly seen one
used.

--
Regards
Bob

Old 13-08-2005, 04:56 PM
Geo

On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 10:28:07 GMT, "jw 1111"
wrote:

Hi, i have been given some soil, buts it's 100 meters away and there is no
access for a wheelborrow, or any path suitable for wheeled transport.

What is wrong with the path - boggy? steps? - more data required...
Geo

Old 13-08-2005, 07:37 PM
JennyC

"Kay" wrote

Try two poles, one to each shoulder, each with 2 bags, and put a thick
pad under each pole to protect your shoulders.
Kay

And two people too would make it a lot easier :~)
Jenny

Old 13-08-2005, 08:59 PM
jw 1111

wrote:

Hi, i have been given some soil, buts it's 100 meters away and there is no
access for a wheelborrow, or any path suitable for wheeled transport.

What is wrong with the path - boggy? steps? - more data required...
Geo

many thanks to all. there is no path just up and down downtrodden through
brambles and round a narrow ledge.

Old 14-08-2005, 07:50 AM
Jupiter

wrote:

Hi, i have been given some soil, buts it's 100 meters away and there is no
access for a wheelborrow, or any path suitable for wheeled transport. so
far i have been using supermarket plastic bags. (my plastic buckets do not
hold much more and i have to hold them out to stop banging my legs, which
makes my arms ache more than using the plastic bags).

since i want quite a lot, any tips on the best way to transport it?

Prisoners of War when removing the spoil from their escape tunnels
used to hang long thin cloth bags down their trousers. You could do
that, and as you won't be needing to hide the activity from guards,
add to your load with a backpack. Do you have access to a donkey with
panniers?

Old 14-08-2005, 07:52 AM
Chris Hogg

wrote:

Hi, i have been given some soil, buts it's 100 meters away and there is no
access for a wheelborrow, or any path suitable for wheeled transport. so
far i have been using supermarket plastic bags. (my plastic buckets do not
hold much more and i have to hold them out to stop banging my legs, which
makes my arms ache more than using the plastic bags).

since i want quite a lot, any tips on the best way to transport it?

Another idea: get a length of webbing, strapping or wide leather belt,
fix a wire hook to each end (old coat-hanger?) and put it around your
neck so that the hooks are at chest/waist height. Hang supermarket
bags of soil from hooks.

--
Chris

Old 14-08-2005, 07:53 AM
Jupiter

On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 19:59:02 GMT, "jw 1111"
wrote:

.. .

wrote:

Hi, i have been given some soil, buts it's 100 meters away and there is no
access for a wheelborrow, or any path suitable for wheeled transport.

What is wrong with the path - boggy? steps? - more data required...
Geo

many thanks to all. there is no path just up and down downtrodden through
brambles and round a narrow ledge.

Definitely a job for a donkey or mule.