Old 15-08-2005, 08:12 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
WaltA wrote:

Mind you, thinking of oleum in your other post, I have in the past,
a long time ago in my youth,,, played with a nitrating mixture of
fuming nitric and conc. sulphuric involving tol%^ne.
I wont mention the hoped-for product cos it'll set the "watchers" into
a tizzy ! ( if they are not already !)

We are.

Best regards,
A. Spook
(pp the Gnome Secretary).
Old 15-08-2005, 10:26 PM
Chris Hogg

On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 19:49:15 +0100, Jaques d'Alltrades
wrote:

The message
from Chris Hogg contains these words:
On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 18:31:01 +0100, Jaques d'Alltrades
wrote:

It sounds like you have laurel - you'd know from the smell of it if it
were bay. Bay (surprisingly) smells of bay-leaves, and laurel a bit like
bitter almonds, due to the prussic acid content.

So, if you wish to avoid cyanide poisoning, don't use laurel as a
flavouring...

Not nearly enough cyanide to be dangerous. A couple of elderly
spinsters who lived near us when I was a child always used laurel
leaves to give an almond flavour to their rice puddings.

Are you sure they weren't widows?

Actually, IIRC, HCN is broken down or driven off in cooking.

Not all of it, as there wouldn't be any flavour left.

Do you eat almonds?

--
Chris

Old 15-08-2005, 10:44 PM
WaltA

Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/gnu.htm

We used similar stuff for giving fish a bit of a fright as well

An initial interest in fireworks led to an interest in colouring
them, which led to an interest in spectroscopy which led to an
interest in the electron structure of the shells (no not that kind of
shell Rusty ! ) of atoms which led all the way to Schrodinger and God
playing dice (Einstein - on quantum mechanics). Kids dont have that
kind of intro to science and engineering any more,,,
ooops, I think I just ranted again

I also tried it with a certain trihydric alcohol otherwise used in cake
icing, suppositories and to adulterate cheap wines to give them body.

Crumbs! I never even contemplated doing that, my hands were never
steady enough :-))

Once...

I would have thought that once was one more than was wise !

Old 15-08-2005, 10:47 PM
WaltA

Nick wrote:
(pp the Gnome Secretary).

Oh ! Are they running Echelon on Linux now

Old 16-08-2005, 01:20 AM
WaltA

(pp the Gnome Secretary).

Oh ! Are they running Echelon on Linux now

They Grub around everywhere.

Nah, they just a Lilo to layabout on

Old 16-08-2005, 12:19 PM
WaltA

just usr Lilo to be layabouts on.

Or even 'use'?

No, I meant usr ( as in usr/bin etc standard Linux directory
structure)
and I used it as rhyming substitute for "use a"

Just look what we've done to LOL's thread !
I think we ought to get our coats,
and perhaps our RedHats,
and leave quietly