Old 11-03-2003, 10:13 PM

Default Prickly matter

Hi,

I am now thinking about our new garden, having moved in the autumn and
I have 2 pricky problems.

The first is that there is an awful lot of brambles in the garden (The
previous owner was an elderly ladty and I think it was getting abit
much for her). If I was to try to bag them up to take away as waste
the bags would just rip to shreds and I was thinking of chopping them
into managable lengths and getting an incinerator bin to burn them,
Other than obvious things like not upsetting the neighbours by
lighting up when they have washing out etc, can anyone foresee any big
problems? For instance will they not burn? If I do burn them up,
will ashes be any good to mix in with the compost bin, or am I just
being daft?

My seconf problem is a holly tree, about 6 foot tall which is just
where I dont want it. I would like it in the front garden but am
concerned about the practicalities of diggin it up and moving it (we
have a garage is can be carried though) withou getting our hands, arms
and faces scratched to pieces. Any suggestions.

Sam
Old 12-03-2003, 12:00 AM
Paul Kelly

wrote in message
Hi,

My seconf problem is a holly tree, about 6 foot tall which is just
where I dont want it. I would like it in the front garden but am
concerned about the practicalities of diggin it up and moving it (we
have a garage is can be carried though) withou getting our hands, arms
and faces scratched to pieces. Any suggestions.

holly is notorious for not liking to be transplanted - it put down a deep
tap root which you break on digging out.

pk

Old 12-03-2003, 08:02 PM

Thanks Paul (and Janet too).

Looks like I may have to decide whether to lose that holly then or
rethink my plans.

At least I have time to decide - we are having some building work
done, so there'll be no major garden overhaul until that's finished,
so it'll probably be this time next year.

Sam

On Tue, 11 Mar 2003 23:56:21 +0000 (UTC), "Paul Kelly"
wrote:

Hi,

Old 14-03-2003, 08:53 AM
Druss

wrote in message
Thanks Paul (and Janet too).

Looks like I may have to decide whether to lose that holly then or
rethink my plans.

At least I have time to decide - we are having some building work
done, so there'll be no major garden overhaul until that's finished,
so it'll probably be this time next year.

Sam

On Tue, 11 Mar 2003 23:56:21 +0000 (UTC), "Paul Kelly"
wrote:

wrote in message
Hi,

My seconf problem is a holly tree, about 6 foot tall which is just
where I dont want it. I would like it in the front garden but am
concerned about the practicalities of diggin it up and moving it (we
have a garage is can be carried though) withou getting our hands, arms
and faces scratched to pieces. Any suggestions.

holly is notorious for not liking to be transplanted - it put down a deep
tap root which you break on digging out.

pk

You could of course always turn the Holy into a nice if somehwat large
standard, just cut back all the lower leaves and form a nice roudned ball on
top !!!

Duncan

Prickly pear: What's the law? figaro Gardening 0 16-11-2003 01:22 AM
Prickly Pear Cactus Steve Coyle Texas 8 05-06-2003 09:13 AM
Prickly Pear cactus Jim North Carolina 0 01-05-2003 05:32 PM
Anybody want a prickly pear cactus? Callen Molenda Gardening 2 06-04-2003 10:08 PM
Question for Cereoid+ Prickly Pear Callen Molenda Gardening 1 02-04-2003 01:44 AM