Old 21-08-2005, 06:54 PM
Registered User

Default Can I move my decidious fern?

Hi

I have two well established plants that are sited too close together and are swamping my deciduous fern (variety unknown).

To the left of the fern I have a Fargesia murieliae 'Jumbo' (H 7ft x S 4ft) and on the other side is a female Aucuba japonica (H 4 ft x S 3ft).

I could really do with moving the fern but I'd like to know if it is possible to successfully move it and what is the best time of year to do this? Also tips on how to move it would be useful. The spotted laurel might be easier to move as it has only been in the ground for about five years. I think the fern has been in for about ten years.

Can anyone offer me some advice please?

Thanks
Jackie
Old 23-08-2005, 06:14 PM
Chris Hogg

On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 17:54:53 +0000, Jackie D
wrote:

Hi

I have two well established plants that are sited too close together
and are swamping my deciduous fern (variety unknown).

To the left of the fern I have a Fargesia murieliae 'Jumbo' (H 7ft x S
4ft) and on the other side is a female Aucuba japonica (H 4 ft x S
3ft).

I could really do with moving the fern but I'd like to know if it is
possible to successfully move it and what is the best time of year to
do this? Also tips on how to move it would be useful. The spotted
laurel might be easier to move as it has only been in the ground for
about five years. I think the fern has been in for about ten years.

Can anyone offer me some advice please?

Thanks
Jackie

I've moved a few Hartstongue and other common ferns around in my
garden in the past. The best time to move them is in the spring, when
the weather's warming up. Go all round the fern with a fork to loosen
the soil, putting it in a little way out from the crown so as not to
damage too many roots and angled inwards. Lift the crown when the soil
is well loosened. Prepare the new site by digging in plenty of humus
(leafmould, peat or compost) and some grit to help drainage. Strong
fertiliser isn't recommended, although a handful of bonemeal is
sometimes suggested. Plant the fern and water it in. Keep it damp over
the next few weeks but don't over-water it, and it should be fine.
I've even divided large specimens with a sharp spade straight down
through the middle and they re-grow quite happily. IME they seem
fairly tough and not easily killed.

--
Chris

Old 23-08-2005, 10:27 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hogg
wrote:

[...]

Thanks for this advice, Chris. I was going to move it in November but I shall wait until spring.

Cheers

Jackie