Old 22-08-2005, 04:40 PM
Jo

Default Foxes!

Hi All,

Mr Fox has been at it again. I looked out the window this morning to see my
little gem lettuces scattered all over the patio and everything in my seed
tray unearthed. He's dug holes in the grass and in the flower beds on other
occassions but this is going too far. I ws down to my last few lettuces and
a few not-yet-fully grown ones in the seed tray.
Has anyone a suitable fox deterrent that works?

Jo

Old 22-08-2005, 06:47 PM
Alan Holmes

"Jo" wrote in message
Hi All,

Mr Fox has been at it again. I looked out the window this morning to see
my little gem lettuces scattered all over the patio and everything in my
seed tray unearthed. He's dug holes in the grass and in the flower beds
on other occassions but this is going too far. I ws down to my last few
lettuces and a few not-yet-fully grown ones in the seed tray.
Has anyone a suitable fox deterrent that works?

Renadine

--
Alan

Reply to alan (dot) holmes27 (at) virgin (dot) net

Jo

Old 22-08-2005, 07:17 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Jo" contains these words:

Mr Fox has been at it again. I looked out the window this morning to
see my
little gem lettuces scattered all over the patio and everything in my seed
tray unearthed. He's dug holes in the grass and in the flower beds on
other
occassions but this is going too far. I ws down to my last few
lettuces and
a few not-yet-fully grown ones in the seed tray.
Has anyone a suitable fox deterrent that works?

Yes, but how big is your garden? A ·577"/·450" is a fine deterrent, but
the Dibble might object to it...

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 22-08-2005, 07:39 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Alan Holmes" contains these words:

Renadine

Waste of money, IME.

Old 22-08-2005, 08:28 PM
Emrys Davies

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

"Jo" wrote in message
Hi All,

Mr Fox has been at it again. I looked out the window this morning

to see
my little gem lettuces scattered all over the patio and everything

in my
seed tray unearthed. He's dug holes in the grass and in the flower

beds
on other occassions but this is going too far. I ws down to my last

few
lettuces and a few not-yet-fully grown ones in the seed tray.
Has anyone a suitable fox deterrent that works?

Renadine

Renadine, which is very expensive, is ineffective against foxes. They
soon get used to it. I dunked teabags in Renadine and placed them
amongst my young heathers, but foxes (I saw them) continued to cause
damage regardless.

The only effective way to stop foxes causing damage is the selective use
of strips of barbed wire and that is not very acceptable.

I think that the main reason why the fox digs in such a manner is to
hunt for worms when conditions are dry and there are no lobworms on the
surface. But sometimes they cause damage whilst playing.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Old 23-08-2005, 12:35 AM
Emrys Davies

"compo" wrote in message
The message
from "Jo" contains these words:

Has anyone a suitable fox deterrent that works?

Jo

How about a wire fence around the garden? Bury the wire about a foot

or
so into the ground all around so that he/she cannot easily dig under

it
and he/she will probably go elsewhere.

--
Cheers,

Compo.

How tall do you think the wire fence should be? bearing in mind
that a fox is very agile and I have seen one jump over my five foot
fence, probably after it had been disturbed.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Old 23-08-2005, 07:40 AM
Diane Epps

"Jo" wrote in message
Hi All,

Mr Fox has been at it again. I looked out the window this morning to see
my little gem lettuces scattered all over the patio and everything in my
seed tray unearthed. He's dug holes in the grass and in the flower beds
on other occassions but this is going too far. I ws down to my last few
lettuces and a few not-yet-fully grown ones in the seed tray.
Has anyone a suitable fox deterrent that works?

Jo
I have heard that urinating on your boundaries and or sprinkling human hair
[from the barbers] leave so much human scent that the foxes avoid that
area. I don't have any personal experience as the foxes that visit our
garden don't do too much damage, now that the only live stock are few rats
in the compost.

Old 23-08-2005, 04:34 PM
Jo

"Diane Epps" wrote in message
k...

"Jo" wrote in message
Hi All,

Mr Fox has been at it again. I looked out the window this morning to see
my little gem lettuces scattered all over the patio and everything in my
seed tray unearthed. He's dug holes in the grass and in the flower beds
on other occassions but this is going too far. I ws down to my last few
lettuces and a few not-yet-fully grown ones in the seed tray.
Has anyone a suitable fox deterrent that works?

Jo
I have heard that urinating on your boundaries and or sprinkling human
hair [from the barbers] leave so much human scent that the foxes avoid
that area. I don't have any personal experience as the foxes that visit
our garden don't do too much damage, now that the only live stock are few
rats in the compost.

Perhaps I'll get my hubby to 'water' the garden this evening! Thanks for
the tip.

Jo

Old 23-08-2005, 04:34 PM
Derek Turner

Jo wrote:
Hi All,

Mr Fox has been at it again. I looked out the window this morning to see my
little gem lettuces scattered all over the patio and everything in my seed
tray unearthed. He's dug holes in the grass and in the flower beds on other
occassions but this is going too far. I ws down to my last few lettuces and
a few not-yet-fully grown ones in the seed tray.
Has anyone a suitable fox deterrent that works?

Jo

Yes. I have a 12-bore shotgun.

Old 23-08-2005, 04:47 PM
Mike

"Jo" wrote in message
Hi All,

Mr Fox has been at it again.

Mr? How do you know it is a 'he'?

Us poor blokes get the blame again :-((

Old 23-08-2005, 06:33 PM
batgirl

"Derek Turner" somewhat@odds wrote in message
SNIP
Has anyone a suitable fox deterrent that works?

Jo

Yes. I have a 12-bore shotgun.

Oooh, how impressive. Not.

Old 23-08-2005, 06:38 PM
Dave P

"batgirl" wrote in message

"Derek Turner" somewhat@odds wrote in message
SNIP
Has anyone a suitable fox deterrent that works?

Jo

Yes. I have a 12-bore shotgun.

Oooh, how impressive. Not.

He answered the question. Hardly calls for your sarcastic comment.

Dave