Old 24-08-2005, 03:32 AM
Lol

Default beginner (improver?) update

hi again - many thanks for all the help, here is an update on how I am
progressing ...

I have been very luck on several counts ...

1) The Lidls pot of Coriander that I planted and was flattened by the rain
has amazingly recovered - albeit only that in the centre of the pot - and it
is flourishing - already able to cut some and add to the salad - maybe use
it on curries yet :-)

2) The Coriander seeds appear to be sprouting - but may yet turn out to be
dandelions :-)

3) The Rosemary which I split and transpanted has fortunately taken and
thrives in 4 new plants - but next time I will be sure to layer it.

4) The Laurel tree looks as though it really is a Bay Laurel - but I await
the berries for full confirmation - in the meantime I have pruned it heavily
as it appears to be taking all the nutrients from the soil.

5) I have become a killer - worse yet, a gloating killer - but the Woodlice
will no longer much my bedding plants, the snails and slugs live in mortal
fear of my salt bombing and the caterpillars writhe in two pieces, every one
bisected with my secateurs - I have also added shears, loppers and a long
handled shears, forks (large and hand) and trowel and scissors to my
armoury - none shall pass. I also have sprays which have evicted the wasps
and ants and another for the the little black dust specs, that move around
the hanging baskets ( mainly Petunias). I may not know fully what I do - but
my feraniums are no longer perforated.

6) I have a compost heap - which I built myself from rocks (who needs a
rockery anyway) and leftover decking boards. Hopefully by Spring it will be
real smelly stuff.

7) I have cuttings of almost everything - even some of the neighbours bushes
which fell over my side when she was trimming them - I feel really guilty
about telling her off for having bonfires every day - burning green suff -
but I was tired of being a kipper.

8) Many thanks for the pointer to the Hessayon books - superb stuff - I may
not yet be an expert - but I have the makings to be one if I can only find
time to read them fully.

There is much more - but enough for now ...

.... but I must do something about the lawn - I have two biggish bald patches
(about 1 metre square) a legacy of the bird feeders being left in one place
for too long- is it just a matter of sprinkling some seed on and feeding it
please ?

Many thanks for all your help - far too many to thank individually - but
thank-you all

regards Lol

Old 24-08-2005, 08:33 AM
Kay

In article , Lol
writes

2) The Coriander seeds appear to be sprouting - but may yet turn out to be
dandelions :-)

Easyish to tell - the coriander will have strap-like seed leaves, and
lacy leaves appearing pretty soon. Dandelion look like dandelions very
early on.

3) The Rosemary which I split and transpanted has fortunately taken and
thrives in 4 new plants - but next time I will be sure to layer it.

4) The Laurel tree looks as though it really is a Bay Laurel - but I await
the berries for full confirmation -

If this is the thread I'm remembering, didn't we all think that it
sounded more like a cherry laurel? Not a bay at all?

... but I must do something about the lawn - I have two biggish bald patches
(about 1 metre square) a legacy of the bird feeders being left in one place
for too long- is it just a matter of sprinkling some seed on and feeding it
please ?

You could just leave it - the grass will grow back in due course.

--
Kay

Old 24-08-2005, 08:36 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Lol" contains these words:

.... but I must do something about the lawn - I have two biggish bald
patches
(about 1 metre square) a legacy of the bird feeders being left in one place
for too long- is it just a matter of sprinkling some seed on and feeding it
please ?

Well, yes and no. If so much as half a dozen seeds are visible to birds,
especially sparrows, you may lose the lot. Seed should be covered with a
sprinkling of soil or sand, or the area(s) should be protected some
other way, (Black cotton stretched between pegs covering the area is
something which works to some extent.)

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/