Old 28-08-2005, 11:40 AM
Alan Holmes

Default Green potatoes?

Whilst digging some of the maincrop, I noticed that one plant had
a couple of potatoes on the surface which were green, I covered
them hoping that they would lose the green and become edible.

Is this likely to happen, or should I just dig the things out and
throw away the green ones?

--
Alan

Reply to alan (dot) holmes27 (at) virgin (dot) net

Old 28-08-2005, 11:49 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Alan Holmes wrote:

Whilst digging some of the maincrop, I noticed that one plant had
a couple of potatoes on the surface which were green, I covered
them hoping that they would lose the green and become edible.

Is this likely to happen, or should I just dig the things out and
throw away the green ones?

Dig 'em out. Greening is irreversible. I have tried that several
times. If they are sizable ones, you can cut off the green part
and use the rest.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 28-08-2005, 12:55 PM
Kay

In article , Alan Holmes
writes

Whilst digging some of the maincrop, I noticed that one plant had
a couple of potatoes on the surface which were green, I covered
them hoping that they would lose the green and become edible.

They will lose the green, but whether they become edible is a different
matter, in other words it is possible that they will lose the green but
still retain the high levels of solanin which were produced when they
were green.
--
Kay

Old 28-08-2005, 02:33 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Kay wrote:
In article , Alan Holmes
writes

Whilst digging some of the maincrop, I noticed that one plant had
a couple of potatoes on the surface which were green, I covered
them hoping that they would lose the green and become edible.

They will lose the green, but whether they become edible is a different
matter, in other words it is possible that they will lose the green but
still retain the high levels of solanin which were produced when they
were green.

Well, they never have lost it when I tried that.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 28-08-2005, 02:45 PM
Kay

In article , Nick Maclaren
writes
In article ,
Kay wrote:
In article , Alan Holmes
writes

Whilst digging some of the maincrop, I noticed that one plant had
a couple of potatoes on the surface which were green, I covered
them hoping that they would lose the green and become edible.

They will lose the green, but whether they become edible is a different
matter, in other words it is possible that they will lose the green but
still retain the high levels of solanin which were produced when they
were green.

Well, they never have lost it when I tried that.

The solanin? How do you know?
--
Kay

Old 28-08-2005, 04:04 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Kay wrote:
In article , Nick Maclaren
writes
In article ,
Kay wrote:
In article , Alan Holmes
writes

Whilst digging some of the maincrop, I noticed that one plant had
a couple of potatoes on the surface which were green, I covered
them hoping that they would lose the green and become edible.

They will lose the green, but whether they become edible is a different
matter, in other words it is possible that they will lose the green but
still retain the high levels of solanin which were produced when they
were green.

Well, they never have lost it when I tried that.

The solanin? How do you know?

The green.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 28-08-2005, 04:26 PM
Kay

In article , Nick Maclaren
writes
In article ,
Kay wrote:
In article , Nick Maclaren
writes
In article ,
Kay wrote:
In article , Alan Holmes
writes

Whilst digging some of the maincrop, I noticed that one plant had
a couple of potatoes on the surface which were green, I covered
them hoping that they would lose the green and become edible.

They will lose the green, but whether they become edible is a different
matter, in other words it is possible that they will lose the green but
still retain the high levels of solanin which were produced when they
were green.

Well, they never have lost it when I tried that.

The solanin? How do you know?

The green.

I've found that removing the light removes the green. Certainly does in
the store cupboard and I'm pretty sure it does in the ground too, though
it's now several years since I've paid any attention to my potatoes

--
Kay

Green potatoes Higgs Boson Gardening 118 05-07-2014 05:14 AM
green potatoes keith United Kingdom 14 06-08-2007 08:30 PM
Green potatoes John Vanini United Kingdom 31 03-08-2007 10:37 AM
Planting potatoes that turned Green Cal Mac United Kingdom 14 05-03-2006 11:28 PM
green potatoes hillier United Kingdom 10 04-10-2004 07:17 PM