Old 09-06-2014, 04:06 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Green potatoes

I always wondered about potatoes green under the skin.

Does this Snopes article deal with all-green, or just under skin?

Anybody have the skinny on this?

http://www.snopes.com/food/ingredient/greenpotatoes.asp

HB
Old 09-06-2014, 05:02 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Monday, June 9, 2014 11:06:22 AM UTC-4, Higgs Boson wrote:
I always wondered about potatoes green under the skin.

Does this Snopes article deal with all-green, or just under skin?

Anybody have the skinny on this?

http://www.snopes.com/food/ingredient/greenpotatoes.asp

HB

I've never seen a potato turn green other than just under the skin. The green flesh is poisonous, but it would take a large amount to cause harm. We usually just peel them a bit deeper.
Old 09-06-2014, 06:16 PM posted to rec.gardens

Go he http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/e...cle/002875.htm
Old 09-06-2014, 06:35 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 6/9/2014 10:16 AM, George Shirley wrote:
On 6/9/2014 10:06 AM, Higgs Boson wrote:

I always wondered about potatoes green under the skin.

Does this Snopes article deal with all-green, or just under skin?

Anybody have the skinny on this?

http://www.snopes.com/food/ingredient/greenpotatoes.asp

HB

Go he http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/e...cle/002875.htm

That says:
The poison is found throughout the plant, but especially in green
potatoes and new sprouts. Never eat potatoes that are spoiled or
green below the skin.

To me, that means the potato is safe if the green is localized to the
skin. We have never gotten ill from such potatoes even though we
generally eat the skins.

Also, with potatoes that have started to sprout but are still firm, we
remove the sprouts and then cook and eat the potatoes without suffering
any harm.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see
Old 09-06-2014, 08:23 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Monday, June 9, 2014 10:35:55 AM UTC-7, David E. Ross wrote:
[...]

I'm with you, though I don't usually eat skins, but not because of greenfear.

Sometimes I carve out some flesh along with sprout, harden it off a day or so, then plant. Have some coming up now. This time will harvest YOUNG, as I'm becoming addicted to those baby potatoes one can buy for $$.

HB

Old 09-06-2014, 11:28 PM posted to rec.gardens

Higgs Boson wrote:
I always wondered about potatoes green under the skin.

Does this Snopes article deal with all-green, or just under skin?

Anybody have the skinny on this?

http://www.snopes.com/food/ingredient/greenpotatoes.asp

HB

I have never seen a potato that was green all the way through, it seems to
me to be unlikely to ever happen as the green is chlorophyll which is only
useful if exposed to light.

Snaopes have it right, you would have to eat a great deal of tater to get
ill. Another useful test is that nearly all alkaloids are very bitter and
solanine is one such, if your spuds don't taste at all bitter then there is
no problem.

Keep in mind that many plants have toxins in them to ward off animals (like
us) who would feed on them. This is a perfectly normal state of affairs and
if you take normal precautions you will come to no harm. In some cases (eg
chilli) we prize the defensive mechanism!

Old 09-06-2014, 11:40 PM posted to rec.gardens

Higgs Boson wrote:
[...]

As potatoes sprout, the starch starts to turn to sugar, which could mask
the bitterness of the solanine. However, if the potato is still very
firm, that conversion is not very far along.

Old 09-06-2014, 11:45 PM posted to rec.gardens

George Shirley wrote:
On 6/9/2014 10:06 AM, Higgs Boson wrote:

I always wondered about potatoes green under the skin.

Does this Snopes article deal with all-green, or just under skin?

Anybody have the skinny on this?

http://www.snopes.com/food/ingredient/greenpotatoes.asp

HB

Go he http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/e...cle/002875.htm

This is very conservative advice. I have eaten many potatoes (after
peeling) that were green under the skin and never tasted any solanine nor
suffered any ill effects. But if it suits you to lay in bed at night
fretting about the next chemical attack upon your person then plant your
green taters.

Old 09-06-2014, 11:53 PM posted to rec.gardens

David E. Ross wrote:
Higgs Boson wrote:
[...]

Where are these droves of people suffering solanine poisoning from potatoes?
Are there any cases at all reported? You would think that there would be
some evidence other than the theoretical possibility if it was a widespread
real issue.

Old 10-06-2014, 12:59 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 06/09/2014 08:06 AM, Higgs Boson wrote:

I always wondered about potatoes green under the skin.

Does this Snopes article deal with all-green, or just under skin?

Anybody have the skinny on this?

http://www.snopes.com/food/ingredient/greenpotatoes.asp

HB

Hi Higgs,

Solanaceae!

Spent weeks on those critters in my college Economic Botany
class.

Potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant are all members of the
Solanaceae family, commonly know as the "nightshade" family.

All Solanaceaes produce a poison called "belladonna". Some call
it "Solanine".

Here is a good reference on Solanaceae:
http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/...838/Solanaceae

Now the good new is that some enterprising humans in our
past hybridized reduced the poison out of the fruits
and the tubers. DO NOT, DO NOT eat the leaves. The leaves
are still poisonous.

Now for green potatoes, just peal off the green. What little
belladonna you get won't hurt you. The green should only be
skin deep. If they are green all the way through, toss them.

The green comes from exposure to light. Store them in a dark
place. Out in the open, under florescent lights at the
supermarket, will accelerate the greening up of potatoes.

Speaking of hurting you, those same enterprising humans also
increased the carbohydrate levels of potatoes to unnatural
levels not found it nature. You are much more likely to get
T2 Diabetes from them (1 out 6 chance) than to get nightshade
poisoning.

And, folks who eat a lot of nightshades do start to build
up a small resistance to belladonna. (You don't get resistant
to the excess carbs, unfortunately.)

Oh! If you like little potatoes, you must (friend for a suggestion,
not a command) try "Dintje". They were my favorite! I was
thinking of growing them before the Diabetes.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bintje

I use to love my potatoes as hash browns fried in butter
with Rosemary. I will live vicariously through you.

-T

Old 10-06-2014, 04:12 AM posted to rec.gardens

Speaking of hurting you, those same enterprising humans also
increased the carbohydrate levels of potatoes to unnatural
levels not found it nature. You are much more likely to get
T2 Diabetes from them (1 out 6 chance) than to get nightshade
poisoning.

This is where your religion gets so weird and impractical.

Roughly 2/3 of food calories world wide is carbohydrates and we can't give
everybody enough to eat as it is. If we went back to "natural' levels of
carbohydrate intake (yet to be defined) what is the chance that most of the
world would starve very quickly? I accept that there are too many humans
but don't you think this method of population reduction is rather harsh?

It is simply impossible to get enough calories without grains, tubers and
bananas, all high carb foods. Despite all its drawbacks we simply cannot
give up farming and become hunter-gatherers, we cannot turn the clock back
10,000 years and specifically we cannot give up farming grain. How do you
think the green revolution saved hundreds of millions from starvation?

Please don't rabbit on about T2 diabetes, a disease of the people of rich
countries who over eat and under excercise, focus on this one question.

How do you feed the world for the next 50 years without heavy reliance on
farming and consuming high carb crops?

In case you missed it I repeat: please don't rabbit on about T2 diabetes, a
disease of the people of rich countries who over eat and under excercise,
focus on this one question.

David

Old 10-06-2014, 05:12 AM posted to rec.gardens

[...]

David!

Where in the world are you getting this bull shit.
T2 Diabetes is all over the world, rich or poor.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=philippines+diabetes

http://www.charantia.com/about-diabetes/
The Philippines ranks 10th among countries with
the highest diabetes incidence worldwide*. An estimated
6 Million Filipinos know they have diabetes. Another
6 Million Filipinos have diabetes but do not know
they have it. Health experts believe many more have
impaired glucose tolerance (IGT) and are prone to diabetes.

And, that was only one of the hits.

And if you want other countries, try:
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=diabetes+in+the+third+world

http://www.cehjournal.org/article/di...world-problem/

THIS IS A WORLD WIDE EPIDEMIC!

The only difference between rich and poor is the test equipment.
I will let you guess how they test it in poor countries. (Hint:
your kidneys spill glucose at ~160 mg/Dl. World's second worst
job.)

The problem is that carbs are addictive and cheap. The idea
that Diabetes is caused by "over eat and under exercise"
is absolute rubbish. They probably move 20 times as much
as I do in a day over in the Philippines and eat a hell of
a lot less. BUT SURPRISE! THEY EAT RICE!

I eat lots of plants. All low carb plants. ALL HAVE BEEN
FARMED. ALL HAVE BEEN HYBRIDIZED. The idea is to match
what our ancestors ate, not to become them. (Okay, growing
it yourself or catching it yourself is fun. Good exercise too.)

Farmers need to hybridize the fat up and the carbs down.
This will be what finally solves the World Wide Diabetes
EPIDEMIC. But, they will have to get past a lot of
special interests to do it. "over eat and under exercise"
is just the special interests looking guilty say, "Gee Wiz,
how did that happen?"

With one out of six of us going to be injured by this
(perhaps one out of three in the near future), yes,
I will warn others. It is the decent thing to do.
I will also let others that have already been injured
know how they can live a normal life, Diabetes and drug
free. Also the decent thing to do.

For people who are not already injured, a half a potato
here and there won't hurt anyone. Just watch yourself.
Eat a variety of food in balance. And, eschew foods that
are full of chemicals and have four times the amount of
carbs found in nature.

THERE ARE LOTS OF OTHER PLANTS TO EAT! Yummy ones too,
especially after your satiation switch normalizes and
you get your sense of taste back. I am looking forward
to a ton of them this harvest! If I get good at this,
maybe I will freeze or bottle some.

DRUG AND ALLOPATH FREE SINCE SEPTEMBER 2013!

-T

Old 10-06-2014, 06:41 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Monday, June 9, 2014 4:59:06 PM UTC-7, Todd wrote:
On 06/09/2014 08:06 AM, Higgs Boson wrote:

I always wondered about potatoes green under the skin.

Does this Snopes article deal with all-green, or just under skin?

Anybody have the skinny on this?

http://www.snopes.com/food/ingredient/greenpotatoes.asp

HB

Hi Higgs,

Solanaceae!

Spent weeks on those critters in my college Economic Botany

class.

Potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant are all members of the

Solanaceae family, commonly know as the "nightshade" family.

All Solanaceaes produce a poison called "belladonna". Some call

it "Solanine".

Isn't that used to poison people in mystery novels?

Here is a good reference on Solanaceae:

http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/...838/Solanaceae

Now the good new is that some enterprising humans in our

past hybridized reduced the poison out of the fruits

and the tubers. DO NOT, DO NOT eat the leaves. The leaves

are still poisonous.

Now for green potatoes, just peal off the green. What little

belladonna you get won't hurt you. The green should only be

skin deep. If they are green all the way through, toss them.

The green comes from exposure to light. Store them in a dark

place. Out in the open, under florescent lights at the

supermarket, will accelerate the greening up of potatoes.

Speaking of hurting you, those same enterprising humans also

increased the carbohydrate levels of potatoes to unnatural

levels not found it nature.

Damn, damn, damn! I had no idea "they" were ****ing with my potatoes!!!
As a card-carrying potato freak, I highly resent this meddling.

Would buying "organic", whatever THAT means in this day & age, get me
potatoes the way "God" made them? Surely SHE wouldn't ****with one of HER
creations...

You are much more likely to get

T2 Diabetes from them (1 out 6 chance) than to get nightshade

poisoning.

And, folks who eat a lot of nightshades do start to build

up a small resistance to belladonna. (You don't get resistant

to the excess carbs, unfortunately.)

Oh! If you like little potatoes, you must (friend for a suggestion,

not a command) try "Bintje". They were my favorite! I was

thinking of growing them before the Diabetes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bintje

I'll see if they're sold around here (So. Calif). I've been getting my little darlings at Trader Joe

I use to love my potatoes as hash browns fried in butter

with Rosemary. I will live vicariously through you.

I nuke big potatoes & when they've cooled somewhat, slice & fry in butter with
paprika.

Sorry about the diabetes! Medical researchers,esp. the Israelis, are always coming up with technical & medical progress. I mean mind-blowing stuff that might help you. Not meaning to be pushy, but sometimes we have to do our own research.

Good luck!

HB

Old 10-06-2014, 07:24 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 06/09/2014 11:20 PM, Todd wrote:
Back when I could eat them, the local grown (organic) ones
tasted a lot better.

Had a friend years ago that harvested potatoes. When he
got hungry, he'd pop one down the exhaust pipe of
his tractor. When it was done, it would pop (fly)
out of the pipe and land in the field somewhere. He'd
get out, fetch it, and eat it. YUK! It must have
tasted like utter hell.
Old 10-06-2014, 07:27 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 06/09/2014 10:41 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:
Isn't that used to poison people in mystery novels?

Yes.

Somewhere I heard that Agatha Christy made sure
the poisons in her novels didn't actually work
to keep bad people from using them for real.

[IMG] code is On

green potatoes keith United Kingdom 14 06-08-2007 08:30 PM
Green potatoes John Vanini United Kingdom 31 03-08-2007 10:37 AM
Planting potatoes that turned Green Cal Mac United Kingdom 14 05-03-2006 11:28 PM
Green potatoes? Alan Holmes United Kingdom 6 28-08-2005 04:26 PM
green potatoes hillier United Kingdom 10 04-10-2004 07:17 PM