Old 30-08-2005, 05:10 PM
Lol

Default Flower Identification

Hi all

Is there a general flower identification guide that anyone could recommend -
preferably online ? I have tried google but seem to get lots of wild flowers
and others which seem limited in scope ?

I am trying to identify a pinkish/purple flower, supeficially the shape of a
poppy, five petals to the fore, 4 just behind, giving 9 in total. The petals
are just over 2 inches in diameter, have a green central button surrounded
by numerous yellow err (anthers ?). They grown to between 4 and 5 foot high,
on a thin, cylindical, rigid, wire-like stem. The leaves vary a lot in size,
but the biggest are 6 or 7 inches across and shaped like a Maple leaf. They
are in flower at the moment - and have been for a few weeks or more.

many thanks

lol

Old 30-08-2005, 06:45 PM
Stewart Robert Hinsley

In message , Lol
writes
Hi all

Is there a general flower identification guide that anyone could recommend -
preferably online ? I have tried google but seem to get lots of wild flowers
and others which seem limited in scope ?

I am trying to identify a pinkish/purple flower, supeficially the shape of a
poppy, five petals to the fore, 4 just behind, giving 9 in total. The petals
are just over 2 inches in diameter, have a green central button surrounded
by numerous yellow err (anthers ?). They grown to between 4 and 5 foot high,
on a thin, cylindical, rigid, wire-like stem. The leaves vary a lot in size,
but the biggest are 6 or 7 inches across and shaped like a Maple leaf. They
are in flower at the moment - and have been for a few weeks or more.

many thanks

lol

It doesn't sound much like a poppy to me, but similarity is in the eye
of the beholder.

9 petals is not a common number - 5 petals and 4 sepals (perhaps
petaloid) would be more common (the standard eudicot pattern is 5 petals
and 5 sepals). I wondering if your plant is a composite (daisy) of some
description, with the 9 "petals" being ligulate (ray) flowers and the
"button" being the disc of tubular (disc) flowers. However no particular
composite comes to mind matching that description.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 30-08-2005, 07:48 PM
Sacha

On 30/8/05 17:10, in article
, "Lol"
wrote:

Hi all

Is there a general flower identification guide that anyone could recommend -
preferably online ? I have tried google but seem to get lots of wild flowers
and others which seem limited in scope ?

I am trying to identify a pinkish/purple flower, supeficially the shape of a
poppy, five petals to the fore, 4 just behind, giving 9 in total. The petals
are just over 2 inches in diameter, have a green central button surrounded
by numerous yellow err (anthers ?). They grown to between 4 and 5 foot high,
on a thin, cylindical, rigid, wire-like stem. The leaves vary a lot in size,
but the biggest are 6 or 7 inches across and shaped like a Maple leaf. They
are in flower at the moment - and have been for a few weeks or more.

Are you by any chance growing Dahlia imperialis or D. excelsa? It doesn't
really match but....just a thought.
OTOH, what about Japanese anemone - Anemone hupehensis?
--

Sacha
(remove the weeds for email)

Old 30-08-2005, 08:12 PM
Lol

Sacha wrote ....

-snip-

OTOH, what about Japanese anemone - Anemone hupehensis?
--

well done !!

Just checked google images and that is exactly what it is - thank-you

Not quite sure what the reference to 'September Charm' is though ?

regards lol

Old 30-08-2005, 11:20 PM
Sacha

On 30/8/05 20:12, in article
, "Lol"
wrote:

Sacha wrote ....

-snip-

OTOH, what about Japanese anemone - Anemone hupehensis?
--

well done !!

Just checked google images and that is exactly what it is - thank-you

Not quite sure what the reference to 'September Charm' is though ?

Just the name of the variety, I think. They're lovely things and bring a
welcome new flowering to late summer. I particularly like the white ones
because they glow in the evening light.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk