Old 07-09-2005, 04:28 PM
Mike

"Chris Bacon" wrote in message
H Ryder wrote:
The problem with the
bulk of the stuff is getting it into anything to transport it. It is a

huge
mass of thorny stuff and I do not want my car full of loose thorns for

my
toddlers to step on

Sometimes you see woven polythene sacks which are excellent for
disposing of nasty spiky stuff (keep the bags!). These look like
normal material which has been heated and flattened (like a
modern tent groundsheet). If you chop your thorny twigs up small,
they become far easier to handle - it doesn't take long, either.

And to hold the bag open, get an empty dustbin, put the poly bag in and
make sure it is right to the bottom. Wear sturdy gloves and force the small
bits into the bottom of the dusbin and 'force it' into a dustbin shaped bag.
Tie the bag with a cable tie or wire twist, lift the bag out and start
another one. This will fit into the boot of the car.

bottom but making sure there is plenty to go up over the opened boot lid.
Push the bags into the boot forcing the blanket/dust sheet to engulf the
bags. Doing it this way stops ANY part of the bag touching the car's
interior. On emptying out the boot, take the bags out one at a time then
'scoop' all of the blanket out with any crud enlosed in it. Shake where ever
suitable.

This method has been used time and time again in my BMW. My son in law has
used the same method in his Rolls Royce.

Hope that helps

Mike

Old 07-09-2005, 06:35 PM
Brian

"H Ryder" wrote in message
I think that I need to have a bonfire (3 compost bins currently buried

under
huge pile of "woody stuff") but am not sure how to go about it. In
particular - how far from teh house/hedges etc does it need to be? Can I

do
it on grass (i.e. will it regrow?) and what will burn - i.e. do I need to
leave all the stuff to dry out first? TIA,
Hayley

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A bonfire is no worse than a bbq.[better than any of my offerings!!]
If you wish to burn, where you have grass, then remove sufficient turves to
be replaced after you have scattered the ashes.
The fire will only be as fierce as you wish. Start a small fire and add
to it as you need. Garden refuse does not produce unpleasant smoke and if
you have chrysanth. stems to burn~ you could bottle the smoke for me.
Childhood memories.
As the fire burns, feed in the ends, as it progresses~~ 'faggot ends'
being the origin of our 'fag ends'!
Best Wishes Brian.

Old 07-09-2005, 10:51 PM
Sacha

On 7/9/05 15:49, in article , "Chris Bacon"
wrote:

H Ryder wrote:
The problem with the
bulk of the stuff is getting it into anything to transport it. It is a huge
mass of thorny stuff and I do not want my car full of loose thorns for my
toddlers to step on

Sometimes you see woven polythene sacks which are excellent for
disposing of nasty spiky stuff (keep the bags!). These look like
normal material which has been heated and flattened (like a
modern tent groundsheet). If you chop your thorny twigs up small,
they become far easier to handle - it doesn't take long, either.

Some nurseries - such as ours! - sell off old compost bags which are
fantastically useful for garden waste. We ask only that people donate
something to one of the charity boxes we have here and there.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 08-09-2005, 09:22 AM
newsb

In article , Chris Bacon
writes

Sometimes you see woven polythene sacks which are excellent for
disposing of nasty spiky stuff (keep the bags!). These look like
normal material which has been heated and flattened (like a
modern tent groundsheet). If you chop your thorny twigs up small,
they become far easier to handle - it doesn't take long, either.

And, if you pile them up into a large, err.. pile - you can use a
hedgetrimmer to chop it up very quickly into manageable pieces - just
chop down across the pile every 8-12" in one direction. And if you want
ot make it even easier, turn the blade through 90 degrees and repeat.

This is a pretty handy way of dealing with large piles of vicious and
tangled garden waste.

Only one major consideration - make sure that you know what's in the
pile (no hedgehogs, metal, stone, etc) and make sure that you don't let
the blade go down all the way through to the ground. As with all things
involving sharp things and/or power tools, be sensible.

It makes tidying large tangled piles much easier. I might even suggest
it to the NHS.

--
regards andyw
Old 09-09-2005, 10:39 AM
Chris Bacon

Chris Bacon wrote:
Sometimes you see woven polythene sacks which are excellent for
disposing of nasty spiky stuff (keep the bags!). These look like
normal material which has been heated and flattened (like a
modern tent groundsheet). If you chop your thorny twigs up small,
they become far easier to handle - it doesn't take long, either.

FWIW http://uk.aldi.com/special_buys/productnl_3714.html, £1.99
though.

Old 09-09-2005, 10:26 PM
Padger

Just a thought ...very soon now there will be hordes of kids scouring the
area for combustible material to go on their Nov. 5th bonfire. Also there
are many other organisations who have a fire at that time and may take your
stuff away free.

Bonfires 'Mike'[_4_] United Kingdom 18 15-08-2011 01:22 PM
garden bonfires and the law rufus United Kingdom 21 04-08-2011 01:25 PM
What can I do with the ash from my bonfires? Alan Holmes United Kingdom 5 15-05-2006 03:08 PM
Bonfires/ hedgehogs Janet Galpin United Kingdom 28 21-03-2006 08:02 PM
Bonfires Janet Galpin United Kingdom 7 19-03-2006 07:49 PM