Old 06-09-2005, 06:33 PM
H Ryder

Default bonfires

I think that I need to have a bonfire (3 compost bins currently buried under
huge pile of "woody stuff") but am not sure how to go about it. In
particular - how far from teh house/hedges etc does it need to be? Can I do
it on grass (i.e. will it regrow?) and what will burn - i.e. do I need to
leave all the stuff to dry out first? TIA,
Hayley

Old 06-09-2005, 07:45 PM
Andy

"H Ryder" wrote in message
I think that I need to have a bonfire (3 compost bins currently buried
under
huge pile of "woody stuff") but am not sure how to go about it. In
particular - how far from teh house/hedges etc does it need to be? Can I
do
it on grass (i.e. will it regrow?) and what will burn - i.e. do I need to
leave all the stuff to dry out first? TIA,
Hayley

Seriously, you've never lit a bonfire before? Well anyway, it won't do your
grass
any good at all, I should cast about either for a better spot or try and
protect
the grass somehow. The only way comes to mind is to buy a galvanised
incinerator
( costing from £17 up to £23 depending on how much your supplier is gouging
you )
or lay a sheet of something non-flammable ( corrugated iron springs to
mind ) on a
collection of bricks so as to raise it off the grass. Probably the grass
will still get cooked
unless there's something else laid directly on it to protect it ( like
paving slabs ).

You'll have to see what is suitable you have lying around: or char the
grass.
The stuff you want to burn needs to be relatively dry - if it's too wet
it'll smoke a
lot and not get going properly. Also don't make an enormous
heap and burn it all at one go if you are restricted to space. A small open
fire in still air shouldn't toast anything too badly that's 6 feet or so
away.
You could bring that down to 4 feet if you're short of space and don't mind
taking a chance.

As for the house, your average bonfire is at the bottom of the garden for a
good reason, to keep the filth and smoke nuisance down. Your neighbours
won't like smoke drifting in through their windows. Also check for washing,
some people get a bit irrational if you light a bonfire when their washing
is on
the line.

Andy

Old 06-09-2005, 08:40 PM
Teleman

"H Ryder" wrote in message
I think that I need to have a bonfire (3 compost bins currently buried under
huge pile of "woody stuff") but am not sure how to go about it. In
particular - how far from teh house/hedges etc does it need to be? Can I do
it on grass (i.e. will it regrow?) and what will burn - i.e. do I need to
leave all the stuff to dry out first? TIA,
Hayley

There are 45 gallon steel drums on ebay quite reglularly
Just chisel the top off, punch a few holes in sides and underneath, set it
on 4 bricks, and Bobs' yer uncle !!!!
( I think the last time i saw then they were a tenner + £11 delivery)

Old 06-09-2005, 09:17 PM
Sacha

On 6/9/05 20:40, in article
, "Teleman"
wrote:

"H Ryder" wrote in message
I think that I need to have a bonfire (3 compost bins currently buried under
huge pile of "woody stuff") but am not sure how to go about it. In
particular - how far from teh house/hedges etc does it need to be? Can I do
it on grass (i.e. will it regrow?) and what will burn - i.e. do I need to
leave all the stuff to dry out first? TIA,
Hayley

There are 45 gallon steel drums on ebay quite reglularly
Just chisel the top off, punch a few holes in sides and underneath, set it
on 4 bricks, and Bobs' yer uncle !!!!
( I think the last time i saw then they were a tenner + £11 delivery)

Is that what's meant by 'strike up the band'? ;-)
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 07-09-2005, 12:26 AM
Kay

In article , H Ryder
writes
I think that I need to have a bonfire (3 compost bins currently buried under
huge pile of "woody stuff") but am not sure how to go about it. In
particular - how far from teh house/hedges etc does it need to be?

needs to be a certain distance from public road - 30 ft???? It's an
offence to have it nearer (apart from being dangerous if smoke blows
over road)

For general safety, don't just put everything in a heap and set fire to
it - burn it little by little so you can keep it under control.

Can I do
it on grass (i.e. will it regrow?)

Eventually.
OK on a lawn, but not on longer grass as longer dry grass may catch and
your fire go out of control.

and what will burn - i.e. do I need to
leave all the stuff to dry out first?

Yes, otherwise you will have a smoky fire which is not fair to your
neighbours.

If you are in a smoke-free zone, then you should not have a bonfire at
all.

Have you considered taking it all round to the council recycling centre?
--
Kay

Old 07-09-2005, 12:27 AM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from "H Ryder" contains these words:

I think that I need to have a bonfire (3 compost bins currently buried under
huge pile of "woody stuff") but am not sure how to go about it. In
particular - how far from teh house/hedges etc does it need to be?

At least three metres (for a beginner's bonfire 4ft high.)

Can I do
it on grass (i.e. will it regrow?)

It will, but you'll have a bare black hole for a year/ Not
recommended unless you want to clear the grass.

and what will burn - i.e. do I need to
leave all the stuff to dry out first?

Anything that was a plant once, will burn. It's better dried out
because it will then be easy to light, burn fast and hot, and be over
quickly. Old stuff is probably fairly dry. Just a few days in hot sun
may be enough drying for new stuff..Damp stuff, or fresh green stuff,
smoulders a long time on a small fire, and is smellier and makes more
smoke, so won't be popular with neighbours. Don't choose a time when
they have washing hanging on the line.

Use crumpled newspaper and the driest sticks to light it. DO NOT pour
on petrol. Save the ash when it's cooled down, and spread round garden
plants.

Janet.
Old 07-09-2005, 09:23 AM
newsb

In article , H Ryder
writes
I think that I need to have a bonfire (3 compost bins currently buried under
huge pile of "woody stuff") but am not sure how to go about it. In
particular - how far from teh house/hedges etc does it need to be? Can I do
it on grass (i.e. will it regrow?) and what will burn - i.e. do I need to
leave all the stuff to dry out first? TIA,
Hayley

And just to add to the other responses - I think there is (or should be)
an unwritten law that implies that you:
shouldn't start a fire until after 19.00 in the summer if you have
neighbours - you might get away with 18.00 in the autumn/winter;
tell the neighbours in order to ensure they aren't leaving washing
out/entertaining in the garden.

--
regards andyw
Old 07-09-2005, 10:15 AM
Mike

"newsb" wrote in message
In article , H Ryder
writes
I think that I need to have a bonfire (3 compost bins currently buried

under
huge pile of "woody stuff") but am not sure how to go about it. In
particular - how far from teh house/hedges etc does it need to be? Can I

do
it on grass (i.e. will it regrow?) and what will burn - i.e. do I need to
leave all the stuff to dry out first? TIA,
Hayley

And just to add to the other responses - I think there is (or should be)
an unwritten law that implies that you:
shouldn't start a fire until after 19.00 in the summer if you have
neighbours - you might get away with 18.00 in the autumn/winter;
tell the neighbours in order to ensure they aren't leaving washing
out/entertaining in the garden.

--
regards andyw

There is no law, national that is, about bonfires. Unless there is a local
byelaw, you can have a bonfire just when you like,

BUT,

even without a byelaw or clean air act or call it what you will, you can be
prosecuted under the pollution act, nuisance act and god knows what other
things. If you are bombastic enough to light a smokey bonfire on a Monday
morning with the neighbours washing out one side and a Motorway on the other
with a swirling wind which clobbers the washing one minute and obscures the
Motorway the next, you are a pratt and deserve to clobbered.

I had problems with a neighbour who had about as much consideration for the
neighbours with regards to the bonfires he lit EVERY DAY, yes every day,
that another neighbour complained. "I have checked up, there are no laws on
when you can have bonfires" In this case he was correct, but I dug deeper
and read the riot act to him. What "WE" could do :-))

He stopped :-))

Hope that helps

Mike

Old 07-09-2005, 10:52 AM
newsb

In article , Mike
writes

"newsb" wrote in message

And just to add to the other responses - I think there is (or should be)
an unwritten law that implies that you:
shouldn't start a fire until after 19.00 in the summer if you have
neighbours - you might get away with 18.00 in the autumn/winter;
tell the neighbours in order to ensure they aren't leaving washing
out/entertaining in the garden.

--
regards andyw

There is no law, national that is, about bonfires. Unless there is a local
byelaw, you can have a bonfire just when you like,

Hence the reference to unwritten law.

Call it garden etiquette if you will - or even behaving like a decent
human - but the post was pointing out the need to be considerate of your
neighbours, not the status in law.

--
regards andyw
Old 07-09-2005, 12:06 PM
Chris Bacon

Kay wrote:
H Ryder writes
I think that I need to have a bonfire (3 compost bins currently buried under
huge pile of "woody stuff") but am not sure how to go about it. In
particular - how far from teh house/hedges etc does it need to be?

If you are in a smoke-free zone, then you should not have a bonfire at
all.

Hi Kay, fortunately a "smoke control zone" only prohibits
the burning of certain fuels on domestic appliances, e.g.
no bituminous (household) coal (although anthracite is OK).
Being in a smoke control zone does not prohibit bonfires.

Old 07-09-2005, 12:21 PM
BAC

"newsb" wrote in message
In article , Mike
writes

"newsb" wrote in message

And just to add to the other responses - I think there is (or should

be)
an unwritten law that implies that you:
shouldn't start a fire until after 19.00 in the summer if you have
neighbours - you might get away with 18.00 in the autumn/winter;
tell the neighbours in order to ensure they aren't leaving washing
out/entertaining in the garden.

--
regards andyw

There is no law, national that is, about bonfires. Unless there is a

local
byelaw, you can have a bonfire just when you like,

Hence the reference to unwritten law.

Call it garden etiquette if you will - or even behaving like a decent
human - but the post was pointing out the need to be considerate of your
neighbours, not the status in law.

Quite right, there are no specific laws governing domestic garden bonfires,
although a person deemed to be regularly causing a nuisance might expect
some attention from the Council, and anyone causing smoke from a bonfire to
obscure the highway might expect a visit from the police.

I am a little surprised by your advice one shouldn't start a bonfire until
after 19:00 in summer and 18:00 in winter, which would seem to imply it
would be fine to start a garden bonfire after dark. I've seen advice to the
effect one shouldn't do so after an hour before dusk. Further, that one
should not light bonfires at all on 'still' evenings, because the smoke etc
might hang around for hours.

Details aside, I agree the golden rule should be to treat one's neighbours
with the utmost consideration. Hopefully, including non-human neighbours,
like hedgehogs, for instance, which might mistake a pile of garden refuse
intended for the bonfire as an ideal hibernation site.

Old 07-09-2005, 12:26 PM
Kay

In article , Chris Bacon
writes
Kay wrote:
H Ryder writes
I think that I need to have a bonfire (3 compost bins currently buried under
huge pile of "woody stuff") but am not sure how to go about it. In
particular - how far from teh house/hedges etc does it need to be?

If you are in a smoke-free zone, then you should not have a bonfire at
all.

Hi Kay, fortunately a "smoke control zone" only prohibits
the burning of certain fuels on domestic appliances, e.g.
no bituminous (household) coal (although anthracite is OK).
Being in a smoke control zone does not prohibit bonfires.

Yes, you're right - I've done more ferreting around.
--
Kay

Old 07-09-2005, 12:27 PM
Kay

In article , newsb
writes
In article , Mike
writes

"newsb" wrote in message

And just to add to the other responses - I think there is (or should be)
an unwritten law that implies that you:
shouldn't start a fire until after 19.00 in the summer if you have
neighbours - you might get away with 18.00 in the autumn/winter;
tell the neighbours in order to ensure they aren't leaving washing
out/entertaining in the garden.

--
regards andyw

There is no law, national that is, about bonfires. Unless there is a local
byelaw, you can have a bonfire just when you like,

Hence the reference to unwritten law.

Call it garden etiquette if you will - or even behaving like a decent
human - but the post was pointing out the need to be considerate of your
neighbours, not the status in law.

However, if your smoke causes a nuisance it can be dealt with under the
Environmental Protection Act 1990 and if it drifts across a public
highway where it could endanger traffic it is an offence under the
Highways Act 1980
--
Kay

Old 07-09-2005, 02:03 PM
H Ryder

Have you considered taking it all round to the council recycling centre?

yes - we've got one of those bins but have filled it. The problem with the
bulk of the stuff is getting it into anything to transport it. It is a huge
mass of thorny stuff and I do not want my car full of loose thorns for my
toddlers to step on
Hayley

Old 07-09-2005, 03:49 PM
Chris Bacon

H Ryder wrote:
The problem with the
bulk of the stuff is getting it into anything to transport it. It is a huge
mass of thorny stuff and I do not want my car full of loose thorns for my
toddlers to step on

Sometimes you see woven polythene sacks which are excellent for
disposing of nasty spiky stuff (keep the bags!). These look like
normal material which has been heated and flattened (like a
modern tent groundsheet). If you chop your thorny twigs up small,
they become far easier to handle - it doesn't take long, either.

Bonfires 'Mike'[_4_] United Kingdom 18 15-08-2011 01:22 PM
garden bonfires and the law rufus United Kingdom 21 04-08-2011 01:25 PM
What can I do with the ash from my bonfires? Alan Holmes United Kingdom 5 15-05-2006 03:08 PM
Bonfires/ hedgehogs Janet Galpin United Kingdom 28 21-03-2006 08:02 PM
Bonfires Janet Galpin United Kingdom 7 19-03-2006 07:49 PM