Old 06-09-2005, 08:58 PM
datsy

Default Schefflera - sticky stuff

I've got a number of Scheffleras and they all exude some sticky stuff which
ends up on the carpet around the pot. It does wash out with carpet shampoo,
but this is not something I want to do more than I have to. Does anybody
have any suggestions for controlling the sticky stuff, or getting it off the
carpet without having to drag the carpet shampooer out?

Old 06-09-2005, 09:28 PM
Sacha

On 6/9/05 20:58, in article , "datsy"
wrote:

I've got a number of Scheffleras and they all exude some sticky stuff which
ends up on the carpet around the pot. It does wash out with carpet shampoo,
but this is not something I want to do more than I have to. Does anybody
have any suggestions for controlling the sticky stuff, or getting it off the
carpet without having to drag the carpet shampooer out?

Stop using shampoo is the first thing, I'm afraid. It attracts and holds
the dirt, however well it appears to be rinsed. Can you not get some large
and attractive tray in which you stand all the Scheffleras or a spare piece
of carpet you steam clean every so often?
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 07-09-2005, 12:17 AM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from "datsy" contains these words:

I've got a number of Scheffleras and they all exude some sticky stuff which
ends up on the carpet around the pot.

Well, mine never have. I suspect yours may have an insect
infestation, aphids and whitefly often exude sticky stuff. Search under
the leaves, and in the nodules where leaves join the trunk. An
indoor-plant insecticide spray will get rid of them, be sure to spray
the soil surface too.

Janet.
Old 07-09-2005, 04:13 PM
Ornata

I've got a number of Scheffleras and they all exude some sticky stuff
which
ends up on the carpet around the pot. It does wash out with carpet
shampoo,
but this is not something I want to do more than I have to. Does
anybody
have any suggestions for controlling the sticky stuff, or getting it
off the
carpet without having to drag the carpet shampooer out?

The sticky stuff is likely to be caused by some sap-sucking pest,
probably scale insect. If you can eradicate the pest, you'll get rid
of the problem. This probably means spraying with insecticide/fatty
acid. You could also wipe the bugs off with cotton wool dipped in
methylated spirits, but with a schefflera it would take ages and there
are always one or two scale insects that get missed.

Old 08-09-2005, 06:52 PM
datsy

The sticky stuff is likely to be caused by some sap-sucking pest,
probably scale insect. If you can eradicate the pest, you'll get rid
of the problem. This probably means spraying with insecticide/fatty
acid. You could also wipe the bugs off with cotton wool dipped in
methylated spirits, but with a schefflera it would take ages and there
are always one or two scale insects that get missed.

Thanks for the answers to this - I had never realised that the lumpy bits on
the leaves were actually insects until I looked up scale insects on the
internet yesterday!! You live and learn. It was the RHS site which came up
first, but reading through the description, I have to say that I have never
(in the 10 or more years I've had these plants - and the problem of sticky
carpets) seen any eggs or larvae - I have checked again and still nothing
that looks like larvae, only the lumpy bits, mostly on the veins.

Still on the subject of schefflera - one of them has grown aerial roots in
the last couple of months - again something I haven't seen - is this common
with this plant?