Old 28-09-2005, 11:49 AM
Registered User

Default Mini wildlife pond

I want to construct a mini wildlife pond in a container approximately 400mm x 600mm x 300mm depth, sunk into the ground. Which (native) oxygenating plants would be best in this small space, and should they be planted in a substrate at the bottom of the container or in pots?

TIA

Mark
Old 28-09-2005, 04:08 PM
Phil L

MarkA wrote:
:: I want to construct a mini wildlife pond in a container approximately
:: 400mm x 600mm x 300mm depth, sunk into the ground. Which (native)
:: oxygenating plants would be best in this small space, and should they
:: be planted in a substrate at the bottom of the container or in pots?

are you sure you've got those dimensions correct? - it will be less than 2ft
sqare and barely visible, with or without plants.

--
If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs.

Old 28-09-2005, 08:07 PM
Kay

In article , MarkA MarkA.1w2o7y@garden
banter.co.uk writes

I want to construct a mini wildlife pond in a container approximately
400mm x 600mm x 300mm depth, sunk into the ground. Which (native)
oxygenating plants would be best in this small space, and should they
be planted in a substrate at the bottom of the container or in pots?

If it's to be wildlife, most important thing will be to have some sort
of ramp up to the edge so amphibious wildlife can get out.

--
Kay

Old 29-09-2005, 12:13 AM
Malcolm Stewart

"Kay" wrote in message
In article , MarkA MarkA.1w2o7y@garden
banter.co.uk writes

If it's to be wildlife, most important thing will be to have some sort
of ramp up to the edge so amphibious wildlife can get out.

A friend finds that frogs seem to have no problem in near vertical smooth
sided containers in her garden. And their tops are about 30cm above ground
level. No idea how they get in or out.

--
M Stewart
Milton Keynes, UK

Old 29-09-2005, 10:30 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil L

are you sure you've got those dimensions correct? - it will be less than 2ft
sqare and barely visible, with or without plants.

Yes I know it's tiny, but that's the point. Space is at a premium, aesthetics is not a priority, it's probably only temporary, and it's an experiment - a way of adding wildlife value to a tiny backyard (I've seen frogs using a "pond" of comparable size, and it will be dug into the ground, with the rim at ground level). If it doesn't work, it doesn't work, but I'd rather find that out for myself.

Perhaps I should rephrase the question: must I use up valuable water volume by planting in pots, or can I plant into a substrate at the bottom, and if so, what should that substrate consist of?

cheers
Mark

Old 29-09-2005, 05:11 PM
Kay

In article , MarkA MarkA.1w4ivz@garden
banter.co.uk writes

Yes I know it's tiny, but that's the point. Space is at a premium,
aesthetics is not a priority, it's probably only temporary, and it's an
experiment - a way of adding wildlife value to a tiny backyard (I've
seen frogs using a "pond" of comparable size, and it will be dug into
the ground, with the rim at ground level). If it doesn't work, it
doesn't work, but I'd rather find that out for myself.

Perhaps I should rephrase the question: must I use up valuable water
volume by planting in pots, or can I plant into a substrate at the
bottom, and if so, what should that substrate consist of?

You'll use more space by having a substrate - you'll take away depth.
You should use the special aquatic pots which are like plastic baskets.
they don't need to be large - you may be able to get away with 2 inches
square. Aquatic compost - low nutrient, too.

Some of the water weeds don't need soil as such - they just throw roots
into the water. Then you'll also want something to cover some of the
surface - you could use a floating plant.

If you want wildlife, then you'll be best sticking to UK natives. A lot
of plants will be too big or too vigorous. Watercress grows if you just
chuck a bundle in, but grows too quickly - you'll be forever weeding out
the surplus. Water forget-me-not is a good bet and again just throw in a
rooted cutting, also Mimulus (monkey musk). You won't need a lot of
plants.
--
Kay

Old 29-09-2005, 05:11 PM
Kay

In article , Malcolm Stewart
writes
"Kay" wrote in message
In article , MarkA MarkA.1w2o7y@garden
banter.co.uk writes

If it's to be wildlife, most important thing will be to have some sort
of ramp up to the edge so amphibious wildlife can get out.

A friend finds that frogs seem to have no problem in near vertical smooth
sided containers in her garden. And their tops are about 30cm above ground
level. No idea how they get in or out.

Is this adult frogs or babies? I'd find it hard to imagine a half inch
long frogling getting out.
--
Kay

Old 29-09-2005, 06:21 PM
Malcolm Stewart

"Kay" wrote in message
In article , Malcolm Stewart
writes

A friend finds that frogs seem to have no problem in near vertical smooth
sided containers in her garden. And their tops are about 30cm above

ground
level. No idea how they get in or out.

Is this adult frogs or babies? I'd find it hard to imagine a half inch
long frogling getting out.
--

Adults, from memory.

--
M Stewart
Milton Keynes, UK

Old 29-09-2005, 07:55 PM
datsy

are you sure you've got those dimensions correct? - it will be less than
2ft
sqare and barely visible, with or without plants.

Here's an idea for a tiny watergarden:
http://www.pallensmith.com/index.php...15&Item id=98

Old 30-09-2005, 09:47 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kay
[...]

Thank you Kay. That's just what I needed to know. I will be using natives, and constructing an escape route for froglets.
I was thinking of Water f-m-n, also Water Crowfoot and Water Plantain - any comments? Mimulus - guttatus? moschatus? Isn't it a wetland plant? Aquatic compost - from garden centres?

thanks
Mark

Old 30-09-2005, 08:13 PM
Kay

In article , MarkA MarkA.1w6djy@garden
banter.co.uk writes

Thank you Kay. That's just what I needed to know. I will be using
natives, and constructing an escape route for froglets.
I was thinking of Water f-m-n, also Water Crowfoot and Water Plantain -
any comments?

OK, both, but get the water f-m-n first as it gives more flowers for a
longer period. Water plantain is a bit larger scale - might be a bit big
for you. Fitter et al describe it as medium/tall ie 1 ft to over 2ft. I
haven't got much experience of UK natives - my home ponds are all bigger
than yours, and the ones at the Nature Park much bigger, so we go for
large things.

Mimulus - guttatus? moschatus? Isn't it a wetland plant?

I've got it growing in the middle of a pond. Slugs are fond of it and
they have more difficulty getting to it there.

Aquatic compost - from garden centres?

Yep.

The other thing is not to stick the pond out in the middle of nowhere -
have at least one side (the side with the ramp) hard up against dense
moist vegetation or damp grass that you don't cut at all in the summer.
If you do get frogspawn, then the emerging frogs will need cover and
somewhere to forage.
--
Kay

Strange creature in wildlife pond gary smith Ponds 3 03-07-2005 12:46 PM
Digging a tiny pond to attract wildlife Dave Ponds 58 01-02-2004 10:20 PM
wildlife pond edging? Tracey Ponds 6 29-11-2003 04:32 AM
Sticklebacks for a wildlife pond Neil McManus Ponds 4 19-06-2003 10:20 PM