Old 05-10-2005, 12:58 PM
Geoff

Default Fuchsia again

You may recall that a few weeks I reported a problem with one of the
fuchsias in my garden.

I was given a couple of possible causes but now I do not think either was
correct so I'll reiterate and enlarge.

Firstly, the plant is over six years old, came from the Duchy of Cornwall
nursery in Lostwithiel and is named "Madam Cornelissen". It's label
describes it as a, "Hardy fuchsia with showy red and white semi double
flowers in summer & autumn. Good coastal plant. Any soil in sun or shade."

The problem first manifested itself last year and we cut it right back to
see if it would recover this year. It did and has given a wonderful display
but a few weeks ago one of the branches started showing signs of dying. The
leaves started to shrivel and the flowers on the branch died. Had it been a
small plant I would have blamed a tom cat but now the tallest branch to die
in over three feet tall - some cat!!

A few minutes ago I inspected some of the four or so affected branches, some
of their leaves are brown and shrivelled whilst others are green but
dehydrated to crispness. I bent two dead looking branches and indeed they
are dead; each snapped cleanly and there is no sign of green in the
fracture.

The tallest branch of the plant is healthy looking, about 4 feet high and
smothered in blossom and buds as are the shorter but unaffected branches.

On the I.W. we have had no frost and anyway the plant's in a fairly
sheltered place which receives good sunlight in the afternoons. Just a few
feet away are other plants which show no signs of distress so I do not think
possible dryness has a bearing on the cause and anyway, all the plant's
branches would be showing the same symptoms.

Any reasons for the plant's distress would be most welcome.

Regards

Geoff

Old 05-10-2005, 01:39 PM
Emrys Davies

"Geoff" wrote in message
news
[...]

I have grown this plant and it is quite hardy. I suspect that part of
the root of your plant is rotten and I suggest that you break off part
of the root at the base of one of your dead branches to see if that is
the case.

Should you find that part of the root structure is rotten you could
either replace the plant or prune it to ground level and give it another
chance.

I like Snowcap http://plants.thompson-morgan.com/uk/en/product/2562/1
which is equally as hardy as "Madam Cornelissen", but I prefer the
former.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Old 05-10-2005, 01:59 PM
CK

"Geoff" wrote in message
news
[...]

I would suggest you taking some cuttings from the most healthy shoots and
growing them on.
Then if the problems occur again next year , you already have a replacement
waiting.

Good luck,
Chris in Somerset

Old 05-10-2005, 02:21 PM
Emrys Davies

"Geoff" wrote in message
news
[...]

After sending my post it occurred to me that part of one of my hardy
fuchsias looks rather sickly so I have just chopped off part of a
relevant root with a spade and I found that the outer layers of the root
structure are decaying. However, I will give it another chance.

I suggest that you do not take cuttings from a sick plant.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Old 07-10-2005, 09:12 PM
FF

Sounds like what mine had. The general verdict was root-rot. I finally
got round to cutting it right back the other week & was delighted to
find signs of life deep down. It's now in a pot and will be coming in
the house for the winter and then into a dryer bed in the spring.
Mine's a Riccartone and was about 4 foot high. It doesn't have the Blue
Blood of yours though!

Liz
PS: Have also taken cuttings, 3 of which are now about 6" high and doing
well - indoors.

Old 08-10-2005, 05:52 PM
John

"Janet Baraclough" words:
Please don't make people scroll down through your post then someone
else's to find out what problem you're talking about.

Unfortunately, some bottom posters (not you, I hasten to add!) make it worse
by not snipping so, instead, one has to scroll down through the original
unsnipped message and several unsnipped replies, just to read the final
reply which is often something like "Me too". I prefer top posting because
I can read the final reply and if I've forgotten what the original poster
has said then I can choose to scroll down. However, as bottom posting is
the accepted standard. I comply (usually!).