Old 09-10-2005, 06:02 PM
Bertie Doe

Default Spinach Query,please.

I have some some plants of MrFothergill's 'Perpetual Spinach - Leaf Beet'.
I have taken 'perpetual' to mean continious cropping throughout the season,
until (I assume) first frost.
Does anyone know whether these plants are perenneal, or will I need to sow
fresh seed in Spring ? TIA.
Bertie

Old 09-10-2005, 06:23 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Bertie Doe wrote:
I have some some plants of MrFothergill's 'Perpetual Spinach - Leaf Beet'.
I have taken 'perpetual' to mean continious cropping throughout the season,
until (I assume) first frost.
Does anyone know whether these plants are perenneal, or will I need to sow
fresh seed in Spring ? TIA.

Biennial. You will get some leaves early on, but they will go to
seed. That is, if they are what I think they are.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 09-10-2005, 06:44 PM
Mike Lyle

Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
Bertie Doe wrote:
I have some some plants of MrFothergill's 'Perpetual Spinach -

Leaf
Beet'. I have taken 'perpetual' to mean continious cropping
throughout the season, until (I assume) first frost.
Does anyone know whether these plants are perenneal, or will I

need
to sow fresh seed in Spring ? TIA.

Biennial. You will get some leaves early on, but they will go to
seed. That is, if they are what I think they are.

Yep. Compare the wild ancestor, sea-beet. I've left them in, and got
a very small picking before they bolted. Much better to sow afresh
every year, as there are other greens which will feed you early in
the year.

--
Mike.

Old 09-10-2005, 07:34 PM
Kay

In article , Bertie Doe
writes
I have some some plants of MrFothergill's 'Perpetual Spinach - Leaf Beet'.
I have taken 'perpetual' to mean continious cropping throughout the season,
until (I assume) first frost.

They keep going over the winter, but grow more slowly

Does anyone know whether these plants are perenneal, or will I need to sow
fresh seed in Spring ? TIA.

Biennial. They go to seed in the second year. You can stave it off for a
few weeks by picking out the tough flowering stems as they appear, and
thus extend the cropping of leaves, but only for a few weeks. You will
need to re-seed annually.
--
Kay

Old 09-10-2005, 08:25 PM
Bertie Doe

Thanks Nick, Mike and Kay - fortunately I have half a pkt left, but I may
order fresh, to play safe.

Old 09-10-2005, 08:37 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Bertie Doe wrote:
Thanks Nick, Mike and Kay - fortunately I have half a pkt left, but I may
order fresh, to play safe.

I wouldn't bother. If it doesn't germinate, you can buy some more,
but it usually lasts several seasons.

Nick.
Old 09-10-2005, 09:23 PM
Kay

In article , Bertie Doe
writes
Thanks Nick, Mike and Kay - fortunately I have half a pkt left, but I may
order fresh, to play safe.

I wouldn't bother. Beet seed should keep into a second year.
--
Kay

How does spinach grow, pls? Request for some info re spinach. fitwell Edible Gardening 11 03-06-2004 03:11 AM
Spinach spikes will United Kingdom 14 05-06-2003 09:19 AM
Unbelievable Spinach! clc Edible Gardening 4 15-04-2003 07:56 PM
spinach again Larry Blanchard Edible Gardening 12 28-03-2003 03:20 PM
Newbie Q: Baby spinach Irving Kimura Edible Gardening 4 04-02-2003 02:43 AM