Old 11-10-2005, 05:27 PM
Connor T

Default Re-Invigorate wallnut tree?

Hi, ( me again! )

We also have a huge wallnut tree, but there hasnt been a huge amount of
wallnuts. And for it's size I want more!

It's also due a major prune this winter, so can I prune to encourage
fruiting? What about a really big spring feed? ( how do you feed a
tree? ) I've found little info on the web about wallnuts, seems they're
not that popular here?

Rgds,
Dan

Old 11-10-2005, 06:27 PM
JennyC

"Connor T" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi, ( me again! )

We also have a huge wallnut tree, but there hasnt been a huge amount of
wallnuts. And for it's size I want more!

It's also due a major prune this winter, so can I prune to encourage
fruiting? What about a really big spring feed? ( how do you feed a
tree? ) I've found little info on the web about wallnuts, seems they're
not that popular here?

Rgds,
Dan

Hi Dan
Welcome to URG!
You don't say where you are, but I assume the UK?

Found this: http://www.walnuttrees.co.uk/FAQ.htm

Nothing to do with nuts, but interesting :~)
http://www.northmoortrust.co.uk/home...rojects/walnut

HTH Jenny

Old 11-10-2005, 06:30 PM
Anthony Anson

The message .com
from "Connor T" contains these words:

Hi, ( me again! )

We also have a huge wallnut tree, but there hasnt been a huge amount of
wallnuts. And for it's size I want more!

It's also due a major prune this winter, so can I prune to encourage
fruiting? What about a really big spring feed? ( how do you feed a
tree? ) I've found little info on the web about wallnuts, seems they're
not that popular here?

You'll get a better number of hits if you google for 'walnut'.
Old 11-10-2005, 06:32 PM
Connor T

Excellent, thanks!
I'm down in hertfordshire yup.
Been reading this group on and off for a while - find the archive at
deja groups absolutely invaluable!

Old 11-10-2005, 06:40 PM
Connor T

Actually thats really really interesting.
And clearly i didnt find it as it seems I can't spell waLnut

Anyhoo, seems the timber may be valuable, well if i'm not getting any
fruit, i wonder how feasible it is to sell it!

Old 11-10-2005, 07:47 PM
Derek Turner

Connor T wrote:
Actually thats really really interesting.
And clearly i didnt find it as it seems I can't spell waLnut

Anyhoo, seems the timber may be valuable, well if i'm not getting any
fruit, i wonder how feasible it is to sell it!

Walnut is the wood of choice for gunstocks. Why not try one or more of
the old-fahioned English gunmakers e.g. William Powell of Birmingham (or
go straight to the top and try Purdey!) Powells is a family business
where you are very likely to be served by a Powell - they are very
friendly and helpful. Wish I could afford one of their guns.

http://www.william-powell.co.uk/

Derek
Old 11-10-2005, 07:49 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message .com
from "Connor T" contains these words:

Actually thats really really interesting.
And clearly i didnt find it as it seems I can't spell waLnut

Anyhoo, seems the timber may be valuable, well if i'm not getting any
fruit, i wonder how feasible it is to sell it!

A woman, a dog, and a walnut tree, the more you beat them, the better they be.

There was a poster here recently who was complaining of too many walnuts
- wanted advice on a garden vac which would suck them all up.

So, don't despair. You could start by sprinkling a liberal quantity of
bonemeal on the ground beneath the canopy - if you can dig/rake it in,
so much the better, but if not, the worms will take it down in not too
long a time.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 12-10-2005, 10:28 AM
Registered User

Location: Bristol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Turner
Connor T wrote:
Actually thats really really interesting.
And clearly i didnt find it as it seems I can't spell waLnut

Anyhoo, seems the timber may be valuable, well if i'm not getting any
fruit, i wonder how feasible it is to sell it!

Walnut is the wood of choice for gunstocks. Why not try one or more of
the old-fahioned English gunmakers e.g. William Powell of Birmingham (or
go straight to the top and try Purdey!) Powells is a family business
where you are very likely to be served by a Powell - they are very
friendly and helpful. Wish I could afford one of their guns.

http://www.william-powell.co.uk/

Derek
We felled a walnut tree once, took the stem (around 3' diameter by 12' high) to a timber yard, we made £15 on it. Our mistake was leaving the root stock in the ground, that is where they obtain the burr walnut from, so if you are going to get rid try to winch it out with the stock attached. It will be worth a lot more that way.
If you decide to keep it, how compacted is the soil around it? may be worth hireing an airator for a day.
__________________
Carrot Cruncher.
Old 12-10-2005, 03:39 PM
BAC

"Connor T" wrote in message
oups.com...
Actually thats really really interesting.
And clearly i didnt find it as it seems I can't spell waLnut

Anyhoo, seems the timber may be valuable, well if i'm not getting any
fruit, i wonder how feasible it is to sell it!

Many a true word spoken in jest. If your walnut is from a phenotype selected
for timber, it won't crop very well for nuts, and if it is the sort that was
selected for nut production, it probably won't be worth much as timber.

the Northmoor Trust has some interesting stuff about walnuts in the UK, at