Old 20-10-2005, 07:57 PM
Janet Baraclough

Default vitriol

The message
from "Harold Walker" contains these words:

Do I get the inference that I indeed was wrong?

Could you translate that into English, please? The quaint Yomerk
dialect is unfamiliar to the majority of your target audience.

Janet
Old 20-10-2005, 08:20 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Sacha wrote:

Nothing is typical of Britain as a whole, IMO. That's one of the reasons
why gardening in Britain is so interesting.

Er, cool, dark, damp winters? Except for the Highlands and a few
almost unpopulated mountains, nowhere gets cold - and even in the
Isle of Wight and Torquay, it isn't warm. And the dark and damp
is universal :-(

Also nowhere gets seriously hot or dry, at any time of year. Even
in the worst 'drought' I have seen in East Anglia, there is
biologically available water only a few feet down. And, even in
a heatwave, the temperature does not exceed 40 Celcius. But there
is more variation in this than in the winters.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 20-10-2005, 08:25 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Janet Baraclough wrote:
The message
from "Harold Walker" contains these words:

Do I get the inference that I indeed was wrong?

Could you translate that into English, please? The quaint Yomerk
dialect is unfamiliar to the majority of your target audience.

Methinks thou hast misspoken.

You may feel that is a bit stilted, or even that the word order is
inappropriate, but that is perfectly clear British English.

The answer to his question is "yes", incidentally.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 20-10-2005, 08:31 PM
Harold Walker

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message
In article ,
Janet Baraclough wrote:
The message
from "Harold Walker" contains these words:

Do I get the inference that I indeed was wrong?

Could you translate that into English, please? The quaint Yomerk
dialect is unfamiliar to the majority of your target audience.

Methinks thou hast misspoken.

You may feel that is a bit stilted, or even that the word order is
inappropriate, but that is perfectly clear British English.

The answer to his question is "yes", incidentally.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Aw shucks...and I thought it was good old American....H

Old 20-10-2005, 09:48 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Janet Baraclough wrote:

The answer to his question is "yes", incidentally.

Varlet, how can you possibly tell ? Only Harold knows if he "got"
it. Whatever it was.

Geddit?

OK. I cry "uncle". You win this round of pedantry!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 20-10-2005, 10:54 PM
Alan Holmes

Janet Baraclough wrote:
The message
from "Harold Walker" contains these words:

Do I get the inference that I indeed was wrong?

Could you translate that into English, please? The quaint Yomerk
dialect is unfamiliar to the majority of your target audience.

Methinks thou hast misspoken.

You may feel that is a bit stilted, or even that the word order is
inappropriate, but that is perfectly clear British English.

Well I didn't understand it!

The answer to his question is "yes", incidentally.

What was the question about?

Alan

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 21-10-2005, 10:32 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Alan Holmes" contains these words:
Janet Baraclough wrote:
The message
from "Harold Walker" contains these words:

Do I get the inference that I indeed was wrong?

Could you translate that into English, please? The quaint Yomerk
dialect is unfamiliar to the majority of your target audience.

Methinks thou hast misspoken.

You may feel that is a bit stilted, or even that the word order is
inappropriate, but that is perfectly clear British English.

Well I didn't understand it!

The answer to his question is "yes", incidentally.

What was the question about?

/translation/

Is Harold to understand that he was incorrect?

HTH

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 21-10-2005, 02:36 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from Jaques d'Alltrades contains these
words:

Janet Baraclough wrote:
The message
from "Harold Walker" contains these
words:

Do I get the inference that I indeed was wrong?

Could you translate that into English, please? The quaint Yomerk
dialect is unfamiliar to the majority of your target audience.

Methinks thou hast misspoken.

You may feel that is a bit stilted, or even that the word order is
inappropriate, but that is perfectly clear British English.

Well I didn't understand it!

The answer to his question is "yes", incidentally.

What was the question about?

/translation/

Is Harold to understand that he was incorrect?

Sorry, no. Following a committee meeting of pedants, Mr Mclaren
concedes the correct plain English translation is

"Does Harold understand the suggestion that he was wrong ?"

The answer to that is known only to Harold, rendering Harold's post
redundant.

Janet
Old 21-10-2005, 03:04 PM
Alan Holmes

k...
Janet Baraclough wrote:
The message
from "Harold Walker" contains these
words:

Do I get the inference that I indeed was wrong?

Could you translate that into English, please? The quaint Yomerk
dialect is unfamiliar to the majority of your target audience.

Methinks thou hast misspoken.

You may feel that is a bit stilted, or even that the word order is
inappropriate, but that is perfectly clear British English.

Well I didn't understand it!

The answer to his question is "yes", incidentally.

What was the question about?

/translation/

Is Harold to understand that he was incorrect?

incorrect about what?

HTH

Not really.

Alan

Old 21-10-2005, 05:12 PM
Harold Walker

Janet Baraclough wrote:
The message
from "Harold Walker" contains these
words:

Do I get the inference that I indeed was wrong?

Could you translate that into English, please? The quaint Yomerk
dialect is unfamiliar to the majority of your target audience.

Methinks thou hast misspoken.

You may feel that is a bit stilted, or even that the word order is
inappropriate, but that is perfectly clear British English.

Well I didn't understand it!

The answer to his question is "yes", incidentally.

"Does Harold understand the suggestion that he was wrong ?"

The answer to that is known only to Harold, rendering Harold's post
redundant.

Janet

Of course I do as do others...and if you had really followed this thred and
had a good understanding of it you would have known that from the gitgo +

Old 21-10-2005, 05:37 PM
capstan

Janet Baraclough wrote:
The message
from "Harold Walker" contains these
words:

Do I get the inference that I indeed was wrong?

Could you translate that into English, please? The quaint Yomerk
dialect is unfamiliar to the majority of your target audience.

Methinks thou hast misspoken.

You may feel that is a bit stilted, or even that the word order is
inappropriate, but that is perfectly clear British English.

Well I didn't understand it!

The answer to his question is "yes", incidentally.

What was the question about?

/translation/

Is Harold to understand that he was incorrect?

incorrect about what?

HTH

Not really.

Alan

--
Rusty

And what the hell does all this nitpicking OT crap have to do with gardening
?

capstan.

Old 21-10-2005, 05:44 PM
Harold Walker

Janet Baraclough wrote:
[...]

nowt at all...but is in common with much other 'stuff' that is carried on
this site....and, I suspect, gives a certain degree of 'enjoyment' to
some...and here again....perhaps I am once again wrong!

Old 21-10-2005, 06:31 PM
Alan Holmes

Janet Baraclough wrote:
[...]

Well I've been trying to follow this thread (with an 'a') and all that has
happened to me, is that I'm thoroughly confused.

Alan

Old 21-10-2005, 07:02 PM
Harold Walker

Janet Baraclough wrote:
[...]

Let me try to unconfuse you....memory is not as good as it used to be
but...I started off by saying something like....English folk being somewhat
ruder than I remembered them to be or words to that effect and ended up by
saying...'perhaps I am wrong' (this was written after seing so many rude
comments on this site).H