Old 19-10-2005, 09:47 PM
Harold Walker

Default vitriol

I am somewhat amazed at some of the vitrilolic 'writings' that appear on
this site....and.....I always thought the English were somewhat 'better
bred' than that....perhaps i was wrong.....H

Old 19-10-2005, 10:17 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Harold Walker" contains these words:

I am somewhat amazed at some of the vitrilolic 'writings' that appear on
this site....and.....I always thought the English were somewhat 'better
bred' than that....perhaps i was wrong.....H

Where?

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 20-10-2005, 12:23 AM
Stewart Robert Hinsley

In message , Jaques
d'Alltrades writes
The message
from "Harold Walker" contains these words:

I am somewhat amazed at some of the vitrilolic 'writings' that appear on
this site....and.....I always thought the English were somewhat 'better
bred' than that....perhaps i was wrong.....H

Where?

Possibly the prickly one (who we've both killfiled). But that poster is
American - ISTR someone saying that (pronoun) was from Maryland. There's
another poster (also killfiled) who might qualify, but Mr. Walker seems
to admire him.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 20-10-2005, 07:11 AM
Harold Walker

In message , Jaques
d'Alltrades writes
The message
from "Harold Walker" contains these words:

I am somewhat amazed at some of the vitrilolic 'writings' that appear on
this site....and.....I always thought the English were somewhat 'better
bred' than that....perhaps i was wrong.....H

Where?

Possibly the prickly one (who we've both killfiled). But that poster is
American - ISTR someone saying that (pronoun) was from Maryland. There's
another poster (also killfiled) who might qualify, but Mr. Walker seems to
admire him.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Curious....and who would that be Mr. Hinsley?

Old 20-10-2005, 07:13 AM
Harold Walker

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in message
k...
The message
from "Harold Walker" contains these words:

I am somewhat amazed at some of the vitrilolic 'writings' that appear on
this site....and.....I always thought the English were somewhat 'better
bred' than that....perhaps i was wrong.....H

Where?

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

Do I get the inference that I indeed was wrong?

Old 20-10-2005, 07:21 AM
Neil Tonks

"Harold Walker" wrote in message
I am somewhat amazed at some of the vitrilolic 'writings' that appear on
this site....and.....I always thought the English were somewhat 'better
bred' than that....perhaps i was wrong.....H

In my experience most newsgroups have people who like to post that sort of
stuff from time to time, to see what effect it has.

Best thing is to just ignore them.

Neil.

Old 20-10-2005, 10:39 AM
Harold Walker

Dave Poole
Torquay, Coastal South Devon UK
Winter min -2°C. Summer max 34°C.
Growing season: March - November

What a wonderful growing season.....somehow tho I would have thougtht it to
be a little longer via spring cabbage and kale and the likes....H

Old 20-10-2005, 12:55 PM
Kay

In article , Harold Walker
writes

In message , Jaques
d'Alltrades writes
The message
from "Harold Walker" contains these words:

I am somewhat amazed at some of the vitrilolic 'writings' that appear on
this site....and.....I always thought the English were somewhat 'better
bred' than that....perhaps i was wrong.....H

Where?

Possibly the prickly one (who we've both killfiled). But that poster is
American - ISTR someone saying that (pronoun) was from Maryland. There's
another poster (also killfiled) who might qualify, but Mr. Walker seems to
admire him.
--

Curious....and who would that be Mr. Hinsley?

Now you begin to sound as if you are just stirring.

--
Kay

Old 20-10-2005, 01:04 PM
Harold Walker

"Kay" wrote in message
In article , Harold Walker
writes

Where?

Possibly the prickly one (who we've both killfiled). But that poster is
American - ISTR someone saying that (pronoun) was from Maryland. There's
another poster (also killfiled) who might qualify, but Mr. Walker seems
admire him.
--

Curious....and who would that be Mr. Hinsley?

Now you begin to sound as if you are just stirring.

--
Kay

Not at all...merely attempting to see what someone means by a 'prickly
one'...part of my learning process....H

Old 20-10-2005, 02:51 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Harold Walker" contains these words:
"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in message
k...
The message
from "Harold Walker" contains these words:

I am somewhat amazed at some of the vitrilolic 'writings' that appear on
this site....and.....I always thought the English were somewhat 'better
bred' than that....perhaps i was wrong.....H

Where?

Do I get the inference that I indeed was wrong?

I don't know - I don't read every thread.

Old 20-10-2005, 02:53 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Harold Walker" contains these words:
Dave Poole
Torquay, Coastal South Devon UK
Winter min -2°C. Summer max 34°C.
Growing season: March - November

What a wonderful growing season.....somehow tho I would have thougtht it to
be a little longer via spring cabbage and kale and the likes....H

No, the tide comes in...

Old 20-10-2005, 07:02 PM
Kay

In article , Dave Poole
writes
Kay wrote:

It's a wonderful achievement, but it would be misleading to consider his
particular 'British climate' to be typical of Britain as a whole.

Point well made Kay, but I sincerely hope you are not inferring that I
would make such ridiculous claims.

No of course not, and you make it very clear in your sig your particular
climatic conditions. I was answering the comment by another poster "it
is an exemplar of tropical planting in a British climate" followed by
the comment about oranges at Christmas - knowing urg has both posters
from outside the UK and posters who are just beginning their gardening
careers, I didn't want anyone to be misled into thinking it was
achievable all over the UK.

--
Kay

Old 20-10-2005, 07:20 PM
Sacha

On 20/10/05 12:54, in article , "Kay"
wrote:

In article , Sacha
writes
On 20/10/05 10:39, in article
,
"Harold Walker" wrote:

What a wonderful growing season.....somehow tho I would have thougtht it to
be a little longer via spring cabbage and kale and the likes....H

If you saw David's garden, as we have been privileged to do, you would know
that not only is it a miracle of small plot management, it is an exemplar of
tropical planting in a British climate. Cabbage and kale, no, oranges off
the tree outside the back door at Christmas, yes.

It's a wonderful achievement, but it would be misleading to consider his
particular 'British climate' to be typical of Britain as a whole. It
would be very misleading to suggest that what David has achieved on the
south coast of Devon could be replicated by an equally talented and
knowledgeable gardener in Aberdeen, Yorkshire, or even Kent, except
under glass.

Nothing is typical of Britain as a whole, IMO. That's one of the reasons
why gardening in Britain is so interesting.
I don't think I did suggest David's type of garden could be replicated in
other areas or at least, I hope I didn't! I had hoped to make it clear that
his sigfile about his garden's growing seasons was accurate.
Of course, if a visitor to Britain went to the Isles of Scilly or the
Channel Islands, they might think themselves in the Mediterranean with
regard to ornamental plants, without relying on cabbage or kale!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk