Old 21-10-2005, 10:18 PM
Registered User

Thumbs up Bay trees in the winter

Hello, Im kind of new to all this gardening lark and dont have much of a clue.

I have a couple of small bay trees in planters at my front door. They are on a west facing wall and are reasonably well sheltered. Some people I talk to say they have to be brought inside for the winter while others say they would be ok.

Theres talk that this cold be one of the coldest winters ever and I dont want to loose my fine entrance feature. My other half is looking forward to covering them in christmas lights when the time comes, so I dont really want to disappoint her (she's a bit simple like that).

I stay just east of Glasgow.

Any expert advice would be very welcome.

Cheers.
Old 22-10-2005, 07:03 AM
Juan Hanglow

Default Bay trees in the winter

--
alanfletch88

look at previous posts on this topic.............

Old 22-10-2005, 09:08 AM
Tumbleweed

"alanfletch88" wrote in message

snip
Theres talk that this cold be one of the coldest winters ever and I
dont want to loose my fine entrance feature. My other half is looking
forward to covering them in christmas lights when the time comes, so I
dont really want to disappoint her (she's a bit simple like that).

Interesting to see how things get hyped up via Chinese whispers, pretty soon
we'll have people forecasting that the next ice age is starting. The Met
Office forecast is that it *may* be the coldest winter of the last *ten*
years, and that is after ten years of very mild winters. That would hardly
qualify it it as "one of the coldest winters ever"!

--
Tumbleweed

tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com

Old 22-10-2005, 11:55 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from alanfletch88 contains
these words:

I have a couple of small bay trees in planters at my front door. They
are on a west facing wall and are reasonably well sheltered. Some
people I talk to say they have to be brought inside for the winter
while others say they would be ok.

Leave them out. If the planters are small, or if the weather gets really
cold and looks like staying that way, wrap the planters in an insulator
of some sort at night and let the sun warm them during the day.

But normal cold weather won't harm them.

Theres talk that this cold be one of the coldest winters ever

Aye, there's talk about the forthcoming end of the world, too, and the
new PorkAir service from Turnhouse...

and I
dont want to loose my fine entrance feature. My other half is looking
forward to covering them in christmas lights when the time comes, so I
dont really want to disappoint her (she's a bit simple like that).

Christmas has encroached as far north as Glasgow now?

I stay just east of Glasgow.

Well, the weather there is still more West than East, so I'd not worry.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

bay tree winter Flower Bobdew United Kingdom 32 14-10-2005 02:44 PM
Bay Trees Andy Sanson United Kingdom 13 25-11-2003 12:14 AM
Standard bay trees Jim Paterson United Kingdom 0 03-08-2003 06:42 PM
Bay Trees AndWhyNot United Kingdom 25 07-07-2003 09:20 AM
Standard Bay Trees Camilla Peake United Kingdom 4 18-03-2003 12:08 PM