Old 27-10-2005, 12:57 PM
Mike

Default OT again - Port (no storm)

"middleton.walker" wrote in message

"Mike" wrote in message

I went to Bouchard Pere et Fils at Beaune and I was shown their vintage
Burgundy and observed them tasting and re-corking after decades of

being
laid down - they stressed that the air space has to be taken up with a
comparable wine

--
Judith Lea

If no comparable wine is available, decant into smaller bottles and

drink
the rest ;-))

Mike

that is what I call excellent advice...and...hopefully.....there is not a
supply of 'comparable' wine available...H

My advice is always excellent.

Mike

Old 27-10-2005, 01:10 PM
middleton.walker

"Mike" wrote in message

I went to Bouchard Pere et Fils at Beaune and I was shown their
vintage
Burgundy and observed them tasting and re-corking after decades of

being
laid down - they stressed that the air space has to be taken up with a
comparable wine

--
Judith Lea

If no comparable wine is available, decant into smaller bottles and

drink
the rest ;-))

Mike

that is what I call excellent advice...and...hopefully.....there is not a
supply of 'comparable' wine available...H

My advice is always excellent.

Mike

Unlike some others, whose names I will not mention, I agree

Old 27-10-2005, 04:08 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Mike" contains these words:

/snip/

Thanks, Judith. This is just the kind of information I hoped to receive

flesh out that sent already by others. Thanks to all those who have

replied
so helpfully.

no doubt speaking for the others as well, our pleasure :-))

Indeed, heartily seconded.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

Old 27-10-2005, 04:11 PM
Judith Lea

In article , martin
writes
What do you do with the last bottle? Down it in one?

Actually, there is never a last bottle as a comparable wine/port does
not mean one of the same age - simply that an appellation controlle of
the same type is used, this can be a wine of quite recent vintage - it
does not need to be old.

--
Judith Lea
Old 27-10-2005, 04:21 PM
Judith Lea

In article , middleton.walker
writes
Judith Lea

In the presence of a small airspace what is the time period before the wine
goes 'off'?

Actually it can end up as a not so small airspace - after straining off
the lees and tasting the wine to ensure it is not off, that airspace
could be significant - although I have no idea how long it would take
for the wine to go off.

I know that when professional recorking is done that it is done in the
cellar/cave where it is stored so that the temperature/ambience does not
change whilst the cork is removed.

I have some 40 year old Burgundy that I was intending to recork,
however, I think at our age we should enjoy it so when my husband
returns from France next week, I shall celebrate his return by opening a
bottle just for him - not me; as I only drink white wine or bubbly!
Now, if some lovely urg reader can give me the name of a supplier of
Jackson Estate Sauvignon Blanc, I will be their friend for life.

--
Judith Lea
Old 27-10-2005, 04:31 PM
middleton.walker

"Judith Lea" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks for the response....H

Old 27-10-2005, 05:20 PM
Mike

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in message
k...
The message
from "Mike" contains these words:

/snip/

Thanks, Judith. This is just the kind of information I hoped to

receive
flesh out that sent already by others. Thanks to all those who have

replied
so helpfully.

no doubt speaking for the others as well, our pleasure :-))

Indeed, heartily seconded.

Seeds sown on stoney ground :-((

Old 27-10-2005, 11:08 PM
Sacha

On 27/10/05 4:21 pm, in article , "Judith
Lea" wrote:

snip
Now, if some lovely urg reader can give me the name of a supplier of
Jackson Estate Sauvignon Blanc, I will be their friend for life.

Cambridge Wine Merchants, 32 Bridge Street, Cambridge. ;-))
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 29-10-2005, 09:59 AM
Judith Lea

In article , Sacha
writes
Now, if some lovely urg reader can give me the name of a supplier of
Jackson Estate Sauvignon Blanc, I will be their friend for life.

Cambridge Wine Merchants, 32 Bridge Street, Cambridge. ;-))

But, Sacha, we are already friends for life!! Now we can be even
friendlier by sharing a bottle or two!! (hic)

--
Judith Lea
Old 30-10-2005, 10:08 AM
Jennifer Sparkes

The message k
from Sacha contains these words:

On 27/10/05 4:21 pm, in article , "Judith
Lea" wrote:

snip
Now, if some lovely urg reader can give me the name of a supplier of
Jackson Estate Sauvignon Blanc, I will be their friend for life.

Cambridge Wine Merchants, 32 Bridge Street, Cambridge. ;-))

We buy ours from Waitrose - current vintage 2004.

Jennifer - in Bristol
Old 31-10-2005, 11:48 AM
Judith Lea

In article , Jennifer Sparkes
writes
We buy ours from Waitrose - current vintage 2004.

Jennifer - in Bristol

Thank you Jennifer, I will telephone Waitrose today.

--
Judith Lea