Old 22-10-2005, 12:39 PM
shazzbat

Default OT again - Port (no storm)

"Sacha" wrote in message
.uk...
I'm not usually this pre-occupied with alcohol, I promise but does anyone
know how to go about re-bottling and re-corking some old port? I'm sure
I've read/heard this can be done but have no idea where to start. Answers
by email, if preferred - this really is so OT but given the wide-ranging
interests of the members of this group, I feel sure someone will know.

TIA.

Well I don't, sorry. But I bet someone will over at rec.crafts.winemaking

Old 22-10-2005, 12:41 PM
Sacha

I'm not usually this pre-occupied with alcohol, I promise but does anyone
know how to go about re-bottling and re-corking some old port? I'm sure
I've read/heard this can be done but have no idea where to start. Answers
by email, if preferred - this really is so OT but given the wide-ranging
interests of the members of this group, I feel sure someone will know. TIA.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
(remove the weeds to email me)

Old 22-10-2005, 12:51 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Sacha wrote:
I'm not usually this pre-occupied with alcohol, I promise but does anyone
know how to go about re-bottling and re-corking some old port? I'm sure
I've read/heard this can be done but have no idea where to start. Answers
by email, if preferred - this really is so OT but given the wide-ranging
interests of the members of this group, I feel sure someone will know. TIA.

There really isn't anything to rebottling. Just pour the liquid into
a clean, dry bottle, leaving any residue behind, soak the cork briefly
in hot water and hammer it in with a small mallet or anything heavy.
You should use a new cork - a corking machine (just a sort of funnel)
makes things easier, but it is essential only for sparkling wines.

If there is a lot of fine murk, pouring it through some cotton wool
in a funnel is a good idea. This is a trick used for decanting wines
that may have been shaken that I was taught many years ago by a
really old-fashioned wine merchant.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 22-10-2005, 01:46 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message k
from Sacha contains these words:

I'm not usually this pre-occupied with alcohol, I promise but does anyone
know how to go about re-bottling and re-corking some old port? I'm sure
I've read/heard this can be done but have no idea where to start. Answers
by email, if preferred - this really is so OT but given the wide-ranging
interests of the members of this group, I feel sure someone will know. TIA.

curious

Why do you want to do it?

/curious

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

Well I don't, sorry. But I bet someone will over at rec.crafts.winemaking

Brilliant! Thank you.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 22-10-2005, 02:38 PM
Sacha

On 22/10/05 12:51, in article , "Nick
Maclaren" wrote:

In article ,
Sacha wrote:
[...]

Thank you, Nick. It's my son's port which 'went missing' and has just been
re-discovered, lurking in a cupboard here. As it's his, I'd rather he did
any funny business or found someone to do it for him. It's over 30 years
old, so I think there should be quite some deposit. I've used those coffee
filter papers for decanting wine and port before now - never thought of
cotton wool, so thanks.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 22-10-2005, 03:52 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message k
from Sacha contains these words:

Thank you, Nick. It's my son's port which 'went missing' and has just been
re-discovered, lurking in a cupboard here. As it's his, I'd rather he did
any funny business or found someone to do it for him. It's over 30 years
old, so I think there should be quite some deposit. I've used those coffee
filter papers for decanting wine and port before now - never thought of
cotton wool, so thanks.

ARRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH!

Sob!

Never do that to a decent port!

Stand it upright for a fortnight, then decant it, ever-so gently.

If you can arange a light under the bottle, you can see if the sediment
is moving, and if it is, when to stop pouring.

*THEN* yu can use the cotton-wool treatment.

Old 22-10-2005, 04:01 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message k
from Sacha contains these words:

curious

Why do you want to do it?

/curious

As I've said to Nick, it's been found in a cupboard here and the corks on
some bottles are looking very dodgy. In fact, two bottles of the dozen had
lost so much of the port, either through leaking or evaporation that they
had to be thrown away.

Hmmm. They've been standing upright all this time? If so, go ahead with
the cotton wool - I don't hold out much hope for any quality.

Sorry.

As the port was a christening present to my son from
his now dead Godfather, he's quite keen not to lose any more of it. But the
clincher is that it has to be sent to Jersey somehow and in its present
state, I doubt it would all get there! Now, I may be wrong but I have the
notion that you shouldn't re-cork old bottles but should decant into new
bottles and re-cork those. If I'm wrong, I'll be very glad because it will
be much easier simply to re-cork the present bottles.

I think you'd better decant them all. Some may not be any good at all,
so don't 'blend' any till you've tried it.

Most off-licences do catering, and have stacks of empty bottles. You
might get them to save corks for you too, and these (with tops - not
wine-type corks) can be re-used if sterilised in boiling water. That
swells the cork a bit too.

From a winemaking shop/participating pharmacist, get a packet of
shrink-wrap over-cork caps, and you can make a good job of it - keeps
the air out. You shrink them by either upending the bottle and dunking
them in hot water, or with a viciously hot hair-dryer.

Bottles with corks should be stored on their sides, or the corks shrink...

Old 22-10-2005, 11:56 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message k
from Sacha contains these words:

Hmmm. They've been standing upright all this time? If so, go ahead with
the cotton wool - I don't hold out much hope for any quality.

No, they haven't! I'm hurt - wounded even. You think I'd store wine
upright?! ;-)
I won't go into detail here but I can promise you that there is no question
of that kind of higgerance in this family! No chance.
In fact, that's why I'm asking the question. I know something has to be
done about this and I want to know how to do it properly.

Phew! They should be all right then, unless they've been stored in a
*VERY* dry place. The corks ought to be OK. (Though I gather they
aren't.)

I'd put the whole story to urw, then.

Old 27-10-2005, 10:42 AM
Judith Lea

In article , Sacha
writes
I'm not usually this pre-occupied with alcohol, I promise but does anyone
know how to go about re-bottling and re-corking some old port? I'm sure
I've read/heard this can be done but have no idea where to start. Answers
by email, if preferred - this really is so OT but given the wide-ranging
interests of the members of this group, I feel sure someone will know. TIA.

Sacha, I have read all the replies to your query and all of it is good
advice - one point however is that when you decant into new sterile
bottles, you will have an air space, as the sediment will be poured off
- you must fill up this air space with a comparable port.

I went to Bouchard Pere et Fils at Beaune and I was shown their vintage
Burgundy and observed them tasting and re-corking after decades of being
laid down - they stressed that the air space has to be taken up with a
comparable wine

--
Judith Lea
Old 27-10-2005, 10:49 AM
middleton.walker

"Judith Lea" wrote in message
news
In article , Sacha
writes
I went to Bouchard Pere et Fils at Beaune and I was shown their vintage

Burgundy and observed them tasting and re-corking after decades of being
laid down - they stressed that the air space has to be taken up with a
comparable wine

--
Judith Lea
In the presence of a small airspace what is the time period before the wine
goes 'off'?

Old 27-10-2005, 12:13 PM
Mike

Sacha, I have read all the replies to your query and all of it is good
advice - one point however is that when you decant into new sterile
bottles, you will have an air space, as the sediment will be poured off
- you must fill up this air space with a comparable port.

I went to Bouchard Pere et Fils at Beaune and I was shown their vintage
Burgundy and observed them tasting and re-corking after decades of being
laid down - they stressed that the air space has to be taken up with a
comparable wine

--
Judith Lea

If no comparable wine is available, decant into smaller bottles and drink
the rest ;-))

Mike

Old 27-10-2005, 12:40 PM
middleton.walker

"Mike" wrote in message

I went to Bouchard Pere et Fils at Beaune and I was shown their vintage
Burgundy and observed them tasting and re-corking after decades of being
laid down - they stressed that the air space has to be taken up with a
comparable wine

--
Judith Lea

If no comparable wine is available, decant into smaller bottles and drink
the rest ;-))

Mike

that is what I call excellent advice...and...hopefully.....there is not a
supply of 'comparable' wine available...H