Old 24-10-2005, 05:44 PM
Registered User

Location: Northants
Default New To Gardening Please Help Me!!!!

also new to this

please find all the pictures

a very suprised newly keen gardener, i have brought my first house and there are lots of plant thats i cant identify that i would love to know what they are.
i have taken pics and wonder if anyone could help please

there are lots of pics, and i am not sure if i have attached them properly, but i would really really appreciate anyones help

the first one is like a bush

the 2nd and 3rd are the same plant

the 4th looks like a rhubarb patch to me its so big, but i know it isnt

the 5th and 6th are the same plant

the 7th has tiny tiny flowers, and there is another plant the same but just with pink flowers not pictured

the 8th did have a few pink flowers on till i lopped them all off.

whether this is any help or not i dont know, forgive my ignorance, but im still learning.

thanks

Amanda
Attached Thumbnails
new to gardening please help me!-bushy.jpg   new to gardening please help me!-dark-pink-bells.jpg   new to gardening please help me!-dark-pink-bells-leaves.jpg   new to gardening please help me!-glossy-leaves.jpg   new to gardening please help me!-pink-mess.jpg

new to gardening please help me!-pink-flowers.jpg   new to gardening please help me!-pink-mess-2.jpg   new to gardening please help me!-pink-white.jpg
Old 24-10-2005, 06:19 PM
Registered User

Location: Wales, and proud of it!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cambsgirl
and the last 3 photos

a very suprised newly keen gardener, i have brought my first house and there are lots of plant thats i cant identify that i would love to know what they are.
i have taken pics and wonder if anyone could help please

there are lots of pics, and i am not sure if i have attached them properly, but i would really really appreciate anyones help

the first one is like a bush

the 2nd and 3rd are the same plant

the 4th looks like a rhubarb patch to me its so big, but i know it isnt

the 5th and 6th are the same plant

the 7th has tiny tiny flowers, and there is another plant the same but just with pink flowers not pictured

the 8th did have a few pink flowers on till i lopped them all off.

whether this is any help or not i dont know, forgive my ignorance, but im still learning.

thanks

Amanda
The first one looks like a spirea
The fourth is Bergenia crassifolia
The seventh is Primula vulgaris
The eighth is Geranium

I am not quite sure with the others.
Hope this helps.
Old 24-10-2005, 09:43 PM
Hobby Gardener

Location: Harrow, Middx

oops.. link for photos: https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/108397-new-gardening-please-help-me.html
Old 24-10-2005, 11:55 PM
Sue

"garden spider" wrote
The first one looks like a spirea
The fourth is Bergenia crassifolia
The seventh is Primula vulgaris
The eighth is Geranium

I am not quite sure with the others.
Hope this helps.

Think 2 and 3 may well be a Penstemon.

Agree Spirea, Bergenia and Geranium but wouldn't think the pink and white
one is Primula, the leaves don't look like a primrose type - possibly a
Verbena?

--
Sue

Old 25-10-2005, 12:00 AM
Janet Galpin

The message
from garden spider contains
these words:

cambsgirl Wrote:
and the last 3 photos

a very suprised newly keen gardener, i have brought my first house and
there are lots of plant thats i cant identify that i would love to know
what they are.
i have taken pics and wonder if anyone could help please

the first one is like a bush

the 2nd and 3rd are the same plant

the 4th looks like a rhubarb patch to me its so big, but i know it
isnt

the 5th and 6th are the same plant

the 7th has tiny tiny flowers, and there is another plant the same but
just with pink flowers not pictured

the 8th did have a few pink flowers on till i lopped them all off.

Your second and third are a Penstemon (possibly Penstemon 'Garnet'?)
The fourth is a Bergenia (known as Elephant's ears) but it's not easy to
say which variety until it flowers.
Your fifth and seventh look like the same so I'm not quite sure what's
happened here as you seem to imply they're different. Perhaps the photos
are coming up in a different order
Janet G

Old 25-10-2005, 09:13 AM
Kay

In article ws.net,
Sue writes

"garden spider" wrote
The first one looks like a spirea
The fourth is Bergenia crassifolia
The seventh is Primula vulgaris
The eighth is Geranium

I am not quite sure with the others.
Hope this helps.

Think 2 and 3 may well be a Penstemon.

Agree Spirea, Bergenia and Geranium but wouldn't think the pink and white
one is Primula, the leaves don't look like a primrose type - possibly a
Verbena?

I'm getting completely bewildered and wondering whether we're all seeing
the pics in the same order! I'm looking at the gardenbanter link
provided by Kevin.

What I am seeing is:

No 1 is a bush with no flowers showing, and I'd agree with spirea.

Nos 2&3 'dark pink bells' and 'dark pink bells leaves' could be
penstemon.

No4 'glossy leaves' looks like bergenia - should have pink flowers in
spring.

Nos 5, 6, 7 'pink mess', 'pink flowers' 'pink mess 2' have me stumped.
The flowers look superficially like Viscaria but the leaves are wrong -
the leaves look like geranium or (or astrantia). But the presence of one
of these leaves in 'pink mess 2' makes it look as if the leaves in no 6
belong to 'pink mess'.

No 8 'pink and white' is again pink flowered, and looks like Verbena.
But this does not tie up with the OPs comment "the 8th did have a few
pink flowers on till i lopped them all off." So did that comment refer
not to no 8 but to no 6? And does no 6 not belong to no 5 and no 7?

There's nothing here that looks remotely like Primula vulgaris. What I'm
seeing as no 8 doesn't look at all like a geranium (though no 6 does).
And the one that looks like a Verbena is no 8 not no 7.

--
Kay

Old 25-10-2005, 11:24 AM
Sue

"Kay" wrote
snip

Nos 5, 6, 7 'pink mess', 'pink flowers' 'pink mess 2' have me stumped.
The flowers look superficially like Viscaria but the leaves are wrong -
the leaves look like geranium or (or astrantia). But the presence of one
of these leaves in 'pink mess 2' makes it look as if the leaves in no 6
belong to 'pink mess'.

No 8 'pink and white' is again pink flowered, and looks like Verbena.
But this does not tie up with the OPs comment "the 8th did have a few
pink flowers on till i lopped them all off." So did that comment refer
not to no 8 but to no 6? And does no 6 not belong to no 5 and no 7?

There's nothing here that looks remotely like Primula vulgaris. What I'm
seeing as no 8 doesn't look at all like a geranium (though no 6 does).
And the one that looks like a Verbena is no 8 not no 7.

Yes I think cambsgirl's last few pics ended up out of the order she was
expecting, which is why I referred to 'pink and white' (ie the last one on
the page) as Verbena rather than give it a number.

Looking at the 'pink mess' ones again, the flowers remind me of some kind
of Oxalis, altho the stems are a bit straggly. Could that be a possibility?
There is a blurry leaf to the top left in one pic that could be a tattered
'four leaved clover' type to go with it.

--
Sue

Old 25-10-2005, 03:47 PM
Registered User

Location: Northants

ok everyone thanks for your responses, my original posts were edited bacuse it wouldnt let me put all 8 pics in one go and 3 posts have been combined and i believe they have been taken out of order

so therefore as you look at the pics

6 should be 8
8 should be 7
7 should be 6

but it seems all are identified now, well done everyone for unscrambling an even more complex question than the first one

many thanks

ps anyone got any care advice for these plants? we have been here 4 weeks and i feel i should be 'doing something' to them............