Old 26-10-2005, 10:34 PM
NikV

Default Tree identificaction + photos

Hi
A couple of months ago I asked for a tree identification - planted close to
MIL's house - 2m at the time the only thing that fitted was a eucalyptus I
didn't have any pictures - here they are - its only about 3 years since it
was planted and already its as tall as the peak. Can anyone confirm the id
and comment on how much structural damage is likely to occur given its
location

http://www.npkjlvenn.demon.co.uk/lindas.html

TIA
--
(º·.¸(¨*·.¸ ¸.·*¨)¸.·º)
.·°·. NIK .·°·.

Old 26-10-2005, 10:45 PM
Mike Lyle

NikV wrote:
Hi
A couple of months ago I asked for a tree identification - planted
close to MIL's house - 2m at the time the only thing that fitted

was
a eucalyptus I didn't have any pictures - here they are - its only
about 3 years since it was planted and already its as tall as the
peak. Can anyone confirm the id and comment on how much structural
damage is likely to occur given its location

http://www.npkjlvenn.demon.co.uk/lindas.html

Yes, definitely a eucalyptus...my books are boxed, so I won't risk a
guess at the species, but I know I had one among my other gum trees
in Wales. I wouldn't want it near my house, thanks; but I don't
actually know what damage it might do.

--
Mike.

Old 27-10-2005, 08:41 AM
Registered User

Location: Bristol

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikV
Hi
A couple of months ago I asked for a tree identification - planted close to
MIL's house - 2m at the time the only thing that fitted was a eucalyptus I
didn't have any pictures - here they are - its only about 3 years since it
was planted and already its as tall as the peak. Can anyone confirm the id
and comment on how much structural damage is likely to occur given its
location

http://www.npkjlvenn.demon.co.uk/lindas.html

TIA
--
(º·.¸(¨*·.¸ ¸.·*¨)¸.·º)
.·°·. NIK .·°·.
(¸.·º(¸.·¨* *¨·.¸)º·.¸)

Looks like eucalyptus gunii, I certainly would not want it that close to my house. Potenital problems are damage from branches to the roof or root damage to foundations (although a root barrier is easy to instal).
__________________
Carrot Cruncher.
Old 27-10-2005, 01:48 PM
La puce

NikV wrote:
Hi
A couple of months ago I asked for a tree identification - planted close to
MIL's house - 2m at the time the only thing that fitted was a eucalyptus I
didn't have any pictures - here they are - its only about 3 years since it
was planted and already its as tall as the peak. Can anyone confirm the id
and comment on how much structural damage is likely to occur given its
location

So sorry for you - but yes it will cause damage. I am waiting for a
tree surgeon to cut mine down sadly. Mine is about 7 years old and is
now well above my three storey house. I planted it too close to my
house not really thinking at the time (the excitement of moving home,
finding myself with so much earth to cover and all that) and it is now
lifting three little concrete steps I have at the back, the concrete
tiles, so much so I have ridges now, like a serie a little mountains
made out of concrete, rubbles and earth.

The company I'm using is called Equinox and they wouldn't chop down a
tree for the sake of money. They were very worried about my drains,
which I am now too. They will prune my holly tree which has also
exceeded the hight of the house and 2 self seeded sycamors and 3 red
cedar on my neighbours garden. It's not going to be a pleasant day, and
I will miss the falling red leaves of the eucaplyptus very much, it's
lovely bark which housed so many bugs and the beautiful shadows it
casted in my house (

Old 27-10-2005, 09:37 PM
mildew

Hello !

For me, your tree is a eucalystus niphophila (typical bark). Here is
some information about it (in french, sorry).

http://www.plantyfolia.com/fiches106-120/page14.php

The problem is that it grows very fast and nearly all year long... But
a good tree surgeon, though expenseive, could do something for you.

Good luck,

Fred