Old 04-11-2005, 02:52 PM
Helen Hartley

Default apple storage solution

A while back I asked for advice on storing apples cheaply. Thank you
everyone for your suggestions.

I tried lots of supermarkets for boxes and dividers with no luck at all. It
seems they use plastic crates and send all the cardboard spacers straight
back for recycling.

My solution has been to get 5 stackable crates from Argos (£7 -ish) and
layer the apples inside these with single sheet layers of cardboard (from
cutting up cardboard boxes) between each layer of apples and 'newspaper
fans' as spacers between individual apples on the same layer.

The crates are cheap and mesh style so there should be a reasonable amount
of airflow.

Thought I would post this in case anyone esle was trying to find a cheap
apple storage solution.

Helen

Old 04-11-2005, 05:42 PM
Alan Holmes

"Helen Hartley" wrote in message
A while back I asked for advice on storing apples cheaply. Thank you
everyone for your suggestions.

I tried lots of supermarkets for boxes and dividers with no luck at all.
It seems they use plastic crates and send all the cardboard spacers
straight back for recycling.

My solution has been to get 5 stackable crates from Argos (£7 -ish) and
layer the apples inside these with single sheet layers of cardboard (from
cutting up cardboard boxes) between each layer of apples and 'newspaper
fans' as spacers between individual apples on the same layer.

The crates are cheap and mesh style so there should be a reasonable amount
of airflow.

Thought I would post this in case anyone esle was trying to find a cheap
apple storage solution.

I usually wrap each apple in a piece of newspaper and put it in a tray, the
newspaper keeps the apples apart so if one does go rotten, it does not pass
to the others.

--
Alan

Reply to alan (dot) holmes27 (at) virgin (dot) net

Old 04-11-2005, 09:35 PM
cineman

Have you tried you local greengrocer who may be able to supply apple trays
or tomato trays, possibly free?

regards
Cineman

Old 06-11-2005, 08:46 PM
Kay

In article , Alan Holmes
writes

I usually wrap each apple in a piece of newspaper and put it in a tray, the
newspaper keeps the apples apart so if one does go rotten, it does not pass
to the others.

I usually place them not more than 3 deep in whatever I have available
(open-work plastic trays or cardboard veg trays from the supermarket)
and rummage through them every week for rotten ones - that's fine for
the ones that I'll be eating this side of christmas. For the longer
keeping ones I do the same, but only in single layers, so I can spot any
rotten ones much more easily.

I used to do the careful wrapping in newspaper bit, but since I pick the
apples in batches of 50lbs, it all got a bit too much.
--
Kay