Old 07-11-2005, 11:45 PM
Rupert

Default more seasonal weirdness

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message

Still no frosts. High winds have brought the leaves down, but there's
no real scent or sense of autumn, and the lawn is still growing. So is
the new griselinia hedge.

The crocosmias, some of which have only just finished flowering, are
already putting up next year's leaf shoots right next to the ones from
this year, which have barely started to turn yellow. The hebes, still
covered in late flowers, are surrounded by a fresh crop of seedlings
from the earlier flowerheads.
Whenever I lift the potato crop, a few tubers get left behind and come
up the following spring.
This year, they appeared last week. Now 6" and growing strongly. The
seeds dropped off the nasturtiums have all germinated and are at the two
leaf stage, and many of my southern-hemisphere shrubs have got
hopelessly confused and are covered in flowerbuds.

Janet.

Chopped back most of the garden about 3 weeks ago and gave it a good mulch.
Now have things regrowing. Gunnera has just chucked up two seed pods and is
starting new leaves. Many other strange things happening--but the weirdest
is that lots of things that self seed and show themselves in late spring
have already made quite mature plants.

Old 12-11-2005, 06:32 PM
Sue

"stevej" wrote
my garden has plenty of colour, ain't global warmin gr8 :-)

I saw a Red Admiral out and about sunning itself today, but a clear sky has
meant the temperature's dropped considerably this evening.

--
Sue

Old 12-11-2005, 10:27 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Janet Tweedy contains these words:
In article , Sue
writes
"stevej" wrote

my garden has plenty of colour, ain't global warmin gr8 :-)

I saw a Red Admiral out and about sunning itself today, but a clear sky has
meant the temperature's dropped considerably this evening.

Same here had to run the heating up and put another log on the fire.
Still we're above average temperature for November aren't we?

I haven't lit a fire yet - well, not since last winter. My cottage
(brick and clay-lump) holds the heat nicely and is well-insulated by the
nature of the clay-lump.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 12-11-2005, 11:54 PM
Sacha

On 12/11/05 18:32, in article
, "Sue"
wrote:

"stevej" wrote
my garden has plenty of colour, ain't global warmin gr8 :-)

I saw a Red Admiral out and about sunning itself today, but a clear sky has
meant the temperature's dropped considerably this evening.

Several butterflies in our garden today but yes, the evening temp is very
cold.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 13-11-2005, 09:22 AM
Draven

"Sue" wrote in message

"stevej" wrote
my garden has plenty of colour, ain't global warmin gr8 :-)

I saw a Red Admiral out and about sunning itself today, but a clear sky
has
meant the temperature's dropped considerably this evening.

--
Sue

It was 2.7C in my garden last night.

Old 13-11-2005, 10:47 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from martin contains these words:
On Sat, 12 Nov 2005 23:54:10 +0000, Sacha
wrote:

Several butterflies in our garden today but yes, the evening temp is very
cold.

and in your part of the world the first drunk in charge of a ship of
the season http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/devon/4431386.stm

Gotta keep warm somehow innit. Makes the ship easier to park too. CRUNCH!

Old 13-11-2005, 02:06 PM
Sacha

On 13/11/05 9:22, in article
, "Draven"
wrote:

"Sue" wrote in message

"stevej" wrote
my garden has plenty of colour, ain't global warmin gr8 :-)

I saw a Red Admiral out and about sunning itself today, but a clear sky
has
meant the temperature's dropped considerably this evening.

--
Sue

It was 2.7C in my garden last night.

We watched the Cenotaph ceremony this morning so that my husband could show
The Grand daughter 'his lot' as they marched past (she's convinced he 'saved
the world' personally and doesn't believe he wasn't in the war!) and we were
astonished at how green and leafy the plane trees in London are still. It
was very hard to look at those trees and think of this being mid-November.
No wonder I can't get worked up over the Christmas shopping. ;-)
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 13-11-2005, 03:03 PM
Draven

"Sacha" wrote in message
.uk...
On 13/11/05 9:22, in article
, "Draven"
wrote:

"Sue" wrote in message

"stevej" wrote
[...]

I know what you mean. Each year Christmas seems less Christmassy....if you
know what I mean.

Draven

Old 13-11-2005, 04:33 PM
Anti-Spam

The message
from "Draven" contains these words:

"Sue" wrote in message

"stevej" wrote
my garden has plenty of colour, ain't global warmin gr8 :-)

I saw a Red Admiral out and about sunning itself today, but a clear sky
has
meant the temperature's dropped considerably this evening.

--
Sue

It was 2.7C in my garden last night.

It was 0C in my greenhouse last night, and the roof as white at 8.00am.
Fushia's look OK, but I've moved them into the garage for the winter.
Raspberries still fruiting tho.

Roger T

700 feet up in Mid-Wales

Old 13-11-2005, 05:19 PM
Richard Brooks

Draven wrote:
"Sacha" wrote in message
.uk...

On 13/11/05 9:22, in article
k, "Draven"
wrote:

"Sue" wrote in message

"stevej" wrote

[...]

Maybe it's time to take some of the pre-commercial part of Christmas and
put some of that 'friends coming together and remembering those that
have not been remembered as much as we should have' sort of thing ?

For some years I have been using a bit of the produce from our small
back garden orchard and using it in the Christmas dinner. Apple slices
mixed in with parsnips and onion is a really nice dish.

Richard.
Old 13-11-2005, 06:02 PM
Registered User

My daffs are coming up!

Bob
Old 13-11-2005, 06:39 PM
Sacha

On 13/11/05 15:03, in article
, "Draven"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
.uk...

snip
we
were
astonished at how green and leafy the plane trees in London are still. It
was very hard to look at those trees and think of this being mid-November.
No wonder I can't get worked up over the Christmas shopping. ;-)
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
(remove the weeds to email me)

I know what you mean. Each year Christmas seems less Christmassy....if you
know what I mean.

Draven

I think seeing Christmas puddings in Tesco in September didn't help! I love
Christmas but I hate the 'early' factor.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 13-11-2005, 06:43 PM
Sacha

On 13/11/05 17:19, in article ,
"Richard Brooks" wrote:

snip
Maybe it's time to take some of the pre-commercial part of Christmas and
put some of that 'friends coming together and remembering those that
have not been remembered as much as we should have' sort of thing ?

For some years I have been using a bit of the produce from our small
back garden orchard and using it in the Christmas dinner. Apple slices
mixed in with parsnips and onion is a really nice dish.

Sounds really good. Do you roast them, fry the onion and apple together -
how is it done? In our family, Ray and I have six children between us - his
and mine - and various spouses and other attachments and all like different
veg. so I end up doing mashed and roast potatoes, carrots, sprouts,
parsnips, sweet potatoes, broccoli and spinach. And Yorkshire puddings.
Every year I swear that the next year we'll go out for Christmas lunch but I
know I don't mean it!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 13-11-2005, 07:34 PM
Draven

"Sacha" wrote in message
.uk...
On 13/11/05 15:03, in article
, "Draven"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
[...]

As soon as it's over the Easter eggs will be out.

Draven

more seasonal weirdness Sally Holmes United Kingdom 2 08-11-2005 12:02 PM
more seasonal weirdness Draven United Kingdom 2 08-11-2005 11:10 AM
kh weirdness Robin Freshwater Aquaria Plants 12 26-02-2005 10:46 PM
Potato Weirdness Dcjtee United Kingdom 7 25-07-2004 10:05 PM
Potato Weirdness jeannie United Kingdom 0 25-07-2004 06:05 PM