Old 15-11-2005, 05:15 PM
adm

Default Removing Pampas Grass

I have a largeish (c.1.5m wide at base, 3m high) Pampas grass in my lawn
that I would like to remove. I've been told to burn it and then dig out the
root to get rid of the thing completely - and also that digging out the root
is a real pain as it's huge. Unfortunately, I can't burn it as it's too
close to my apple trees, hedge, smoke tree etc....

So - can I just chop the bugger down and then dig the root out ? Is there
any other way to kill the thing ? If so, when is the best time of year to do
this, or doesn't it matter ?

Old 15-11-2005, 05:53 PM
Tumbleweed

"adm" wrote in message
I have a largeish (c.1.5m wide at base, 3m high) Pampas grass in my lawn
that I would like to remove. I've been told to burn it and then dig out the
root to get rid of the thing completely - and also that digging out the
root is a real pain as it's huge. Unfortunately, I can't burn it as it's
too close to my apple trees, hedge, smoke tree etc....

So - can I just chop the bugger down and then dig the root out ? Is there
any other way to kill the thing ? If so, when is the best time of year to
do this, or doesn't it matter ?

Thats what my neighbour did a few months ago. It was about the same size as
yours. Took him two days :-)

--
Tumbleweed

tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com

Old 15-11-2005, 06:33 PM
Chris Hogg

On Tue, 15 Nov 2005 17:53:17 -0000, "Tumbleweed"
wrote:

"adm" wrote in message
m...
I have a largeish (c.1.5m wide at base, 3m high) Pampas grass in my lawn
that I would like to remove. I've been told to burn it and then dig out the
root to get rid of the thing completely - and also that digging out the
root is a real pain as it's huge. Unfortunately, I can't burn it as it's
too close to my apple trees, hedge, smoke tree etc....

So - can I just chop the bugger down and then dig the root out ? Is there
any other way to kill the thing ? If so, when is the best time of year to
do this, or doesn't it matter ?

Thats what my neighbour did a few months ago. It was about the same size as
yours. Took him two days :-)

I did two in my garden a couple of years ago. Again, similar size,
about 4 to 5 ft through. First, get the right tools, which include a
stout pair of gardening gloves as the foliage has sharp edges and will
cut your hands. A grub-axe is ideal (a cross between a heavy mattock
and a pick-axe, but also with an axe blade on one side); a sharp spade
might work but probably wouldn't be heavy enough. Cut down the top
growth as low as possible with a sharp pair of shears, and trench
around the root mound about 6 inches deep. They're shallow rooted, so
you don't need to go much deeper. Start to hack out small bits from
the outer edge on the mound, cutting both down and under with the grub
axe or the spade. Don't try and take out too big a chunk at any one
time. Gradually work around the clump, removing chunks as you go,
until it's all gone.

Took me about an hour for each, although it was bloody hard work and I
was knackered for a couple of days after.

--
Chris

Old 15-11-2005, 06:38 PM
JennyC

"Tumbleweed" wrote in message

"adm" wrote in message
I have a largeish (c.1.5m wide at base, 3m high) Pampas grass in my lawn
that I would like to remove. I've been told to burn it and then dig out the
root to get rid of the thing completely - and also that digging out the
root is a real pain as it's huge. Unfortunately, I can't burn it as it's
too close to my apple trees, hedge, smoke tree etc....

So - can I just chop the bugger down and then dig the root out ? Is there
any other way to kill the thing ? If so, when is the best time of year to
do this, or doesn't it matter ?

Thats what my neighbour did a few months ago. It was about the same size as
yours. Took him two days :-)
Tumbleweed

Call me mad, but I'm thinking of planting one or more if we move to
France........
There is a huge filed with the property that I intend to make into a garden, so
space is not going to be a problem.

How big do they get if left?

Jenny

Old 15-11-2005, 07:05 PM
Sacha

"adm" wrote in message
[...]

I don't care how big your filing system is, it's too small for Pampas grass.
;-)
Jenny, Jenny, Jenny! Why would you plant something so suburban in a huge
field with fabulous potential in the Dordogne?! It's a bloody awful, ugly
thing! Why wouldn't you plant a mini arboretum around the margins, have
grass paths between that and the garden bit and then do the flower bed
thing?
PS. In case you hadn't noticed, I LOATHE Pampas grass. And BTW, in this
huge field, where is your large pond going? The one that will bring in the
wildlife etc. ;-))
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 15-11-2005, 07:37 PM
JennyC

.uk...
wrote:
Call me mad, but I'm thinking of planting one or more if we move to
France........
There is a huge filed with the property that I intend to make into a garden,
so
space is not going to be a problem.

How big do they get if left?

I don't care how big your filing system is, it's too small for Pampas grass.
;-)

Oooops, I bet I won't be able to spell in French either :~))

Jenny, Jenny, Jenny! Why would you plant something so suburban in a huge
field with fabulous potential in the Dordogne?!

Leo likes them..............it's his field too :~))

It's a bloody awful, ugly thing!

Then why are there so many of them that people want to dig up? Someone must have
loved them once :~)

Why wouldn't you plant a mini arboretum around the margins, have
grass paths between that and the garden bit and then do the flower bed
thing?

I intend to grow grasses, flax, vibernums, lots of stuff with grey leaves etc
...... sort of wild and floppy. All the things I can't grow here.

PS. In case you hadn't noticed, I LOATHE Pampas grass. And BTW, in this
huge field, where is your large pond going? The one that will bring in the
wildlife etc. ;-))

Not sure whether it will be feasible to dig a pond in the field. I think it's
limestone with a shallow covering of soil......we are going down in January to
check it out and bring back soil samples.

Jenny

Old 15-11-2005, 09:22 PM
Sacha

On 15/11/05 19:37, in article , "JennyC"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
.uk...
On 15/11/05 18:38, in article
, "JennyC"
wrote:
Call me mad, but I'm thinking of planting one or more if we move to
France........
There is a huge filed with the property that I intend to make into a garden,
so
space is not going to be a problem.

How big do they get if left?

I don't care how big your filing system is, it's too small for Pampas grass.
;-)

Oooops, I bet I won't be able to spell in French either :~))

Imagine! A typo! You're in for it. ;-)

Jenny, Jenny, Jenny! Why would you plant something so suburban in a huge
field with fabulous potential in the Dordogne?!

Leo likes them..............it's his field too :~))

I'm having a problem with someone called Leo wanting Pampas grass. ;-)) In
another area altogether perhaps you could give him some Leonotis leonurus!
Actually, I have a problem with *anyone* wanting Pampas grass but you have
probably detected that. It's a great failing of mine but I see no virtue in
that plant. But it's your field...

It's a bloody awful, ugly thing!

Then why are there so many of them that people want to dig up? Someone must
have
loved them once :~)

To be honest, I think there was a time when they were seen as rather
'exotic' and not just the obvious suburban plant. I must say that I think
that time has passed but you will have seen my bias.

Why wouldn't you plant a mini arboretum around the margins, have
grass paths between that and the garden bit and then do the flower bed
thing?

I intend to grow grasses, flax, vibernums, lots of stuff with grey leaves etc
..... sort of wild and floppy. All the things I can't grow here.

Any grapes up pergolas etc? It sounds absolutely lovely and I do so envy
you living in that climate. Lucky, lucky you!

PS. In case you hadn't noticed, I LOATHE Pampas grass. And BTW, in this
huge field, where is your large pond going? The one that will bring in the
wildlife etc. ;-))

Not sure whether it will be feasible to dig a pond in the field. I think it's
limestone with a shallow covering of soil......we are going down in January to
check it out and bring back soil samples.

My answer to almost everything is "dig a pond". I'm being facetious but not
entirely. I have no idea myself but do you know what wildlife you would
attract IF you had a pond in that region?
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 15-11-2005, 09:35 PM
Martin Brown

adm wrote:

I have a largeish (c.1.5m wide at base, 3m high) Pampas grass in my lawn
that I would like to remove. I've been told to burn it and then dig out the
root to get rid of the thing completely - and also that digging out the root
is a real pain as it's huge. Unfortunately, I can't burn it as it's too
close to my apple trees, hedge, smoke tree etc....

Depends on what you value most. And how flammable the other things are.

If you don't torch it first you have to contend with a huge bulk of ten
foot long waving razor sharp hacksaw blades. And they fight back!

So - can I just chop the bugger down and then dig the root out ? Is there
any other way to kill the thing ? If so, when is the best time of year to do
this, or doesn't it matter ?

Spray it with glyphosate early in the next season. And then leave it to
rot down in an unsightly mess. Much easier to burn it. They even respond
favourably to being torched and flower better afterwards.

Too bad if you burn a fence down, or zap an apple tree in the process.

Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 15-11-2005, 09:50 PM
Sacha

On 15/11/05 21:39, in article , "Mike Lyle"
wrote:

Sacha wrote:
On 15/11/05 19:37, in article
,
"JennyC"
wrote:

[...]
Not sure whether it will be feasible to dig a pond in the field. I
think it's limestone with a shallow covering of soil......we are
going down in January to check it out and bring back soil samples.

My answer to almost everything is "dig a pond". I'm being

facetious
but not entirely. I have no idea myself but do you know what
wildlife you would attract IF you had a pond in that region?

Actually, the far side of a pond looks great adorned with a sweep of
pampas grass. I think being on its own is what makes it look odd, as
it's so obviously out of keeping with British plants: putting several
together gives it moral support. How about rheum palmatum with pampas
grass behind, but close enough to be reflected, and clumps of nice
conspicuous marginals in front?

I can't argue with that but it really does have to be a very large amount of
pampas grass and Jenny and Leo have to be absolutely certain they won't
regret it. What I do keep asking myself is why anyone would want to grow
that when living in the Dordogne? And I do know that my personal prejudice
is showing! And as a bolt on goodie, what wildlife does it support? I
really don't know.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 15-11-2005, 10:18 PM
Mike Lyle

Tumbleweed wrote:
"Sacha" wrote in message
.uk...

I can't argue with that but it really does have to be a very large
amount of
pampas grass and Jenny and Leo have to be absolutely certain they
won't regret it. What I do keep asking myself is why anyone would
want to grow that when living in the Dordogne? And I do know that
my personal prejudice
is showing! And as a bolt on goodie, what wildlife does it

support?
I really don't know.

Gauchos?

And they can certainly get very wild. But actually, it's a good
question: does anybody know the answer? EMWTK. I don't think it
offers any food for the beasties, but it must provide shelter.

--
Mike.

Is pampas grass possible in NE facing garden? Louise United Kingdom 2 07-03-2003 06:49 AM
Pampas grass what do we do with it? code_wrong United Kingdom 6 04-03-2003 09:36 PM
Can Pampas Grass cuttings be put in compost? [email protected] United Kingdom 1 03-03-2003 08:10 AM
Pampas Grass Michael United Kingdom 2 29-11-2002 10:53 PM
Pampas Grass Barry Watts United Kingdom 3 08-11-2002 11:27 AM