Old 21-11-2005, 11:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
BAC

Default Owl surprise!

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"Sacha" wrote after "Bob Hobden" replied

The male Tawny Owl makes a hooting sound as above.
The male Barn Owl screeches.
The male Long Eared Owl make a very soft hooooting call with spaces
between.
Hooo......Hooo.......Hooo.....
The male Short-Eared Owl make a hooting sound that sounds more like

it's
laughing. Hoo Hoo Hoo......
The Little Owl I would neither call a screech or a hoot, more like..
graaap.. gradually rising and getting louder until the p which is a
higher
single note, and the danger call is like a Blackbirds.

Then I don't think we've got Little Owls at all. I think those must be
the
Tawny Owl. I've never got a close look at those and I don't think Ray
has,
either. But does the Tawny Owl call in the day time, too? What we've
always thought were Little Owls seem to call at all times of day and
certainly not at night only. In fact, they seem to prefer calling when
it's just getting light in the morning or from about 2pm onwards, though

have heard them at other times.

Just to confuse the issue, Tawny Owls tend to stay under cover until dark
but the introduced Little Owls are known to be active by day as are the
Short Eared Owls.
However, if the birds are hoo...hooting they are not Little Owls, only the
Tawny (the classic owl sound of films etc) and the Little and Long Eared
Owls make a hoo type sound.

How would you describe the call of the Eagle Owl? Sacha might have some
around, but I expect she'd have noticed ....

Old 21-11-2005, 11:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
BAC

"martin" wrote in message
On Fri, 18 Nov 2005 17:08:36 -0000, "BAC"
wrote:

"martin" wrote in message
.. .
On Fri, 18 Nov 2005 14:43:31 -0000, "shazzbat"
wrote:

Your bird could have been resident, or a winter visitor pining for

the
fjords.

If it saw the program about Eagle Owls on BBC two nights ago, it could
be asking for asylum.

No - it should be safe from the 'Men in Black' anti-alien squad of the
conservation lobby, as even they accept the species is 'native', don't

they?

According to the program, the problem is that "they" don't. Even worse
when they have finished eating all the rabbits, the eagle owls will
gobble up corn crakes and even hedgehogs. Isn't nature awful?

I doubt whether Eagle Owls would manage to eat all the rabbits, but if they
were living in an area where rabbits were not plentiful, for some reason,
they would undoubtedly take whatever else was available to them.

Nature is ruthless, yes, but not cruel IMO.

Talking of ruthless, perhaps the anti-cat brigade should try to attract
Eagle Owls into their gardens. They could even try GM breeding, importing
some parrot genes, so the mutant owls could be trained to sit on the roof
and call 'here, kitty kitty' :-)

Old 21-11-2005, 12:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "BAC" contains these words:

How would you describe the call of the Eagle Owl? Sacha might have some
around, but I expect she'd have noticed ....

It's a rather soft 'ooooo', and a stronger 'keck keck'.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 21-11-2005, 12:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "BAC" contains these words:

According to the program, the problem is that "they" don't. Even worse
when they have finished eating all the rabbits, the eagle owls will
gobble up corn crakes and even hedgehogs. Isn't nature awful?

I doubt whether Eagle Owls would manage to eat all the rabbits, but if they
were living in an area where rabbits were not plentiful, for some reason,
they would undoubtedly take whatever else was available to them.

Yes, they'll even (allegedly) take roe deer, so they're unlikely to run
out of grub and resort to hedgehogs.

Old 21-11-2005, 01:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
BAC

"martin" wrote in message
On Mon, 21 Nov 2005 11:22:52 -0000, "BAC"
wrote:

"martin" wrote in message
.. .
On Fri, 18 Nov 2005 17:08:36 -0000, "BAC"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

The program gave MYXOMATOSIS as something that might make eagle owls
look elsewhere for food.

Quite possibly. I've noticed that buzzards can be a good indicator of which
warren systems have succumbed, since the birds seem everpresent when the
rabbits are plentiful, and seldom seen when they're not. I expect it would
be similar for any other 'rabbit predator', they'd either modify their
patrols to areas with more rabbits, or seek alternative food, probably a
combination of the two.

Nature is ruthless, yes, but not cruel IMO.

Talking of ruthless, perhaps the anti-cat brigade should try to attract
Eagle Owls into their gardens. They could even try GM breeding, importing
some parrot genes, so the mutant owls could be trained to sit on the roof
and call 'here, kitty kitty' :-)

LOL

Aren't the anti-cat brigade inbred/GM enough already? :-)

Some of them do strike me as a trifle obsessive, but, fortunately, I don't
have to put up with anything like the same scale of cat problems they
report, so I'll reserve judgement on them.

Old 21-11-2005, 01:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

On 21/11/05 11:13, in article , "BAC"
wrote:

snip
How would you describe the call of the Eagle Owl? Sacha might have some
around, but I expect she'd have noticed ....

I think even I might have taken that one on board! ;-)
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 21-11-2005, 03:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

On 21/11/05 14:37, in article , "BAC"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
.uk...
On 21/11/05 11:13, in article
, "BAC"
wrote:

snip
How would you describe the call of the Eagle Owl? Sacha might have some
around, but I expect she'd have noticed ....

I think even I might have taken that one on board! ;-)

Yes, if you were to see one fairly close up, I'm sure it would make an
impression. I saw one once on a neighbour's roof and it was, well, just
massive. That wasn't a wild bird, though, it had gone 'flyabout' from a
chap's collection.

Did you say you were located close to Dartmoor? If so, that would seem just
the sort of country which might harbour the odd escapee, or descendent of
escapee, or immigrant from the continent. If you wanted to see a (captive)
Eagle Owl, I think they have at least one at the Dartmoor Hawking falconry
school at North Bovy.

Yes, we're very close to Dartmoor. Our nearest town is Ashburton, 2.5 miles
away and that is within the bounds of the National Park. We're just the
other side of the A38 from there, between Ashburton and Totnes.
Before I married Ray, I lived in a village called Stokeinteignhead and there
was a chap there who did owl rescue in a small way but he didn't have an
eagle owl for me to admire, unfortunately. He and a neighbour made the
national news by going out independently at night to record owl sounds.
After some weeks, they discovered they were happily recording each
other......... ;-)
We gave my step daughter a day's falconry at somewhere in north Devon -
might be the one you mention.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 21-11-2005, 04:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Tom Atkinson

Sacha wrote
Lovely and thank you! Though I must say that the sound of the Little Owl
doesn't sound at all like ours do! Ours can and often do call in daylight
and make a sort of "hoo, hoohoo, hooooooooo" sound
--
Sacha
Wasn't Santa warming up for christmas ?

Old 21-11-2005, 04:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden

"BAC" wrote
How would you describe the call of the Eagle Owl? Sacha might have some
around, but I expect she'd have noticed ....

http://www.owlpages.com/owls.php?gen...o&species=bubo

Quite a distinctive two tone call, not that I've heard it in the wild.

--
Regards
Bob

Old 21-11-2005, 05:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

On 21/11/05 16:33, in article , "Tom
Atkinson" wrote:

Sacha wrote
Lovely and thank you! Though I must say that the sound of the Little Owl
doesn't sound at all like ours do! Ours can and often do call in daylight
and make a sort of "hoo, hoohoo, hooooooooo" sound
--
Sacha
Wasn't Santa warming up for christmas ?
Tom Atkinson

I can't *begin* to imagine what you're expecting in your Christmas stocking!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 21-11-2005, 07:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
BAC

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"BAC" wrote
How would you describe the call of the Eagle Owl? Sacha might have some
around, but I expect she'd have noticed ....

http://www.owlpages.com/owls.php?gen...o&species=bubo

Quite a distinctive two tone call, not that I've heard it in the wild.

Thanks, that's quite an informative site. Given the reported propensity for
living off rats and gulls, nesting sites close to landfills would seem worth
promoting :-)

Old 21-11-2005, 09:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Tom Atkinson

Sacha-it was the ho ho (Well nearly ) that reminded me of Santa although if
he was coming this evening he would get lost in the fog !
Tom
.uk...

Old 21-11-2005, 10:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

On 21/11/05 21:49, in article , "Tom
Atkinson" wrote:

Sacha-it was the ho ho (Well nearly ) that reminded me of Santa although if
he was coming this evening he would get lost in the fog !
Tom
.uk...
Atkinson" wrote:

Sacha wrote
Lovely and thank you! Though I must say that the sound of the Little

Owl
doesn't sound at all like ours do! Ours can and often do call in

daylight
and make a sort of "hoo, hoohoo, hooooooooo" sound
--
Sacha
Wasn't Santa warming up for christmas ?
Tom Atkinson

I can't *begin* to imagine what you're expecting in your Christmas

stocking!
--

Ah! Well, I heard what we now know to be the Tawny owl again this evening,
about 5pm. It's a very welcome sound. I'm quite tempted to find some sort

motion-detecting owl? Captain Feedback Edible Gardening 1 28-05-2005 05:39 PM
ATawny Owl Brian United Kingdom 5 20-05-2005 12:30 PM
Owl ID Frogleg Gardening 5 17-06-2004 11:03 AM
Owl watching [email protected] North Carolina 12 16-06-2003 06:06 PM
Surprise, surprise Zemedelec Gardening 1 30-03-2003 01:20 PM