Old 20-11-2005, 08:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jupiter

Default Aquadulce Claudia Broad Beans - Frost??

I planted Aquadulce Claudia Broad Beans for overwintering about 6
weeks ago. They're showing 4 to 6 inches top growth now but the
current night frosts are wilting them. They recover during the day and
look fine again. Will they stand up to this cruel treatment or should
I cover them with fleece or something?
Old 20-11-2005, 09:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Galpin

The message
from Jupiter contains these words:

I planted Aquadulce Claudia Broad Beans for overwintering about 6
weeks ago. They're showing 4 to 6 inches top growth now but the
current night frosts are wilting them. They recover during the day and
look fine again. Will they stand up to this cruel treatment or should
I cover them with fleece or something?

They should be fine. Certainly in my area (South Lincs) they've come
through all winters unscathed. They're very hardy.

Janet G
Old 20-11-2005, 10:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jupiter

On Sun, 20 Nov 2005 09:26:56 GMT, Janet Galpin
wrote:

The message
from Jupiter contains these words:

I planted Aquadulce Claudia Broad Beans for overwintering about 6
weeks ago. They're showing 4 to 6 inches top growth now but the
current night frosts are wilting them. They recover during the day and
look fine again. Will they stand up to this cruel treatment or should
I cover them with fleece or something?

They should be fine. Certainly in my area (South Lincs) they've come
through all winters unscathed. They're very hardy.

Janet G

Thanks, I'll let them take their chances then.
Old 20-11-2005, 01:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden

"Jupiter" wrote after
Janet Galpin replied
I planted Aquadulce Claudia Broad Beans for overwintering about 6
weeks ago. They're showing 4 to 6 inches top growth now but the
current night frosts are wilting them. They recover during the day and
look fine again. Will they stand up to this cruel treatment or should
I cover them with fleece or something?

They should be fine. Certainly in my area (South Lincs) they've come
through all winters unscathed. They're very hardy.

Yes, the book all say they can take any winter but for us when we grew them
for overwintering we lost so many during the winter I started to plant in
Jan/Feb time and they caught up anyway. Funny, 'cause if they can take
anything in S. Lincs they should love it here, but they didn't.
--
Regards
Bob

Old 20-11-2005, 01:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Galpin

The message
from "Bob Hobden" contains these words:

"Jupiter" wrote after
Janet Galpin replied
I planted Aquadulce Claudia Broad Beans for overwintering about 6
weeks ago. They're showing 4 to 6 inches top growth now but the
current night frosts are wilting them. They recover during the day and
look fine again. Will they stand up to this cruel treatment or should
I cover them with fleece or something?

They should be fine. Certainly in my area (South Lincs) they've come
through all winters unscathed. They're very hardy.

Yes, the book all say they can take any winter but for us when we grew them
for overwintering we lost so many during the winter I started to plant in
Jan/Feb time and they caught up anyway. Funny, 'cause if they can take
anything in S. Lincs they should love it here, but they didn't.
--

I guess there might be other issues such as drainage. I think as well
that they're probably more robust if they're not too tall. I used to sow

I think you're right though that the early spring sown ones tend to
almost catch up. I just like a few things to cluck over at this time of
year.
Janet G

Old 21-11-2005, 04:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden

"Janet Galpin" wrote

Yes, the book all say they can take any winter but for us when we grew
them
for overwintering we lost so many during the winter I started to plant in
Jan/Feb time and they caught up anyway. Funny, 'cause if they can take
anything in S. Lincs they should love it here, but they didn't.
--

I guess there might be other issues such as drainage. I think as well
that they're probably more robust if they're not too tall. I used to sow
in October but now I wait until November so that they're only two or
three inches before the onset of deep winter.

I think you're right though that the early spring sown ones tend to
almost catch up. I just like a few things to cluck over at this time of
year

Cauliflower.."Walcheren Winter Armardo April" is one such too.