Old 22-11-2005, 11:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Uncle-C

Default What to plant under Yew tree "shade" ?

Hi there ! I'm sure this old chesnut has made a previous appearance !!
I need to cover or at least partially fill a shaded area underneath my
Yew tree. I have had very little success over the last growing season
so was wanting to ask what would be the best thing to plant.

Thanks

Uncle-C

High Wycombe - Chalk and flint abound !

Old 22-11-2005, 01:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message . com
from "Uncle-C" contains these words:

Hi there ! I'm sure this old chesnut has made a previous appearance !!
I need to cover or at least partially fill a shaded area underneath my
Yew tree. I have had very little success over the last growing season
so was wanting to ask what would be the best thing to plant.

AFAIK nothing will grow well under yew - not even bulbs.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 22-11-2005, 03:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike

"Carol" wrote in message
On 22 Nov 2005 03:57:33 -0800, "Uncle-C" wrote:

what would be the best thing to plant.

Some of the advisors in this newsgroup?? !!

:-)))

Old 22-11-2005, 04:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Mike wrote:

"Carol" wrote in message
.. .
On 22 Nov 2005 03:57:33 -0800, "Uncle-C" wrote:

what would be the best thing to plant.

Some of the advisors in this newsgroup?? !!

:-)))

Well, you have to admit that it is at least as likely to work as
anything else :-)

As Rusty says, nothing will grow under the canopy of an established
yew - not even most of the larger fungi, incidentally - so there is
no point in trying. As Sacha says, some things will grow close to
yews, and root-running plants may invade the sterile area. But that
is the most you can hope for.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 22-11-2005, 04:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

On 22/11/05 16:08, in article , "Nick
Maclaren" wrote:

In article ,
Mike wrote:

"Carol" wrote in message
On 22 Nov 2005 03:57:33 -0800, "Uncle-C" wrote:

what would be the best thing to plant.

Some of the advisors in this newsgroup?? !!

:-)))

Well, you have to admit that it is at least as likely to work as
anything else :-)

As Rusty says, nothing will grow under the canopy of an established
yew - not even most of the larger fungi, incidentally - so there is
no point in trying. As Sacha says, some things will grow close to
yews, and root-running plants may invade the sterile area. But that
is the most you can hope for.

I didn't think we had any 'advisors' in this group - just members. Ah well.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 22-11-2005, 04:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike

I didn't think we had any 'advisors' in this group - just members. Ah

well.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
(remove the weeds to email me)

OK. "Owners".

Does that suit her ladyship?

Please note. NO ADVERT

Old 22-11-2005, 04:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike

"Trev" wrote in message
On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 16:16:26 +0000, Sacha
wrote:

I didn't think we had any 'advisors' in this group - just members. Ah

well.

OK! Plant them.

YUP!!

Old 22-11-2005, 05:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike

On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 16:16:26 +0000, Sacha
wrote:

snipped
... I didn't think we had any 'advisors' in this group - just members. Ah well.

Are there any members? I think we are just Users ... We don't have a
subscription system to join anything here or any News Group .... just
Users and Lurkers perhaps :-)

Mike
Old 22-11-2005, 05:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Trevor

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in message
k...
The message . com
from "Uncle-C" contains these words:

Hi there ! I'm sure this old chesnut has made a previous appearance !!
I need to cover or at least partially fill a shaded area underneath my
Yew tree. I have had very little success over the last growing season
so was wanting to ask what would be the best thing to plant.

AFAIK nothing will grow well under yew - not even bulbs.

Wouldn't Cyclamen (coum and hederifolium) grow there?

Old 22-11-2005, 06:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Trevor wrote:
"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in message
. ok...
The message . com
from "Uncle-C" contains these words:

Hi there ! I'm sure this old chesnut has made a previous appearance !!
I need to cover or at least partially fill a shaded area underneath my
Yew tree. I have had very little success over the last growing season
so was wanting to ask what would be the best thing to plant.

AFAIK nothing will grow well under yew - not even bulbs.

Wouldn't Cyclamen (coum and hederifolium) grow there?

Probably not, but they are among the best bets. They WILL usually
grow under conifers, but yew leaves are more toxic and the shade
(and rain shadow) is often deeper.

It would be worth trying them - if they did establish, they would
spread quite well (given the total lack of competition). I grow
my H. coum in a location where it gets c. 0.2" of rain per annum,
and it is VERY happy. Of course, capillary action and condensation
mean that the soil is damp enough for growth except in dry summer
periods.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 22-11-2005, 06:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Brian

"Uncle-C" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi there ! I'm sure this old chesnut has made a previous appearance !!
I need to cover or at least partially fill a shaded area underneath my
Yew tree. I have had very little success over the last growing season
so was wanting to ask what would be the best thing to plant.

Thanks

Uncle-C

~~~~~~~~~~~~#
This must depend on the species. T. baccata spreads from the bole and
nothing can grow under/near. T. pyramidalis~ Irish yew/ Churchyards/
'Fastigiata' etc. is so errect that planting can be made right up to the
bole/trunk. Mine have grass covering a thick ring of daffodils and cyclamen.
There is also a clematis planted just inches away that revels through the
canopy [Jackmanii]
Best Wishes Brian.

Old 22-11-2005, 07:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Trevor" contains these words:
"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in message
k...
The message . com
from "Uncle-C" contains these words:

Hi there ! I'm sure this old chesnut has made a previous appearance !!
I need to cover or at least partially fill a shaded area underneath my
Yew tree. I have had very little success over the last growing season
so was wanting to ask what would be the best thing to plant.

AFAIK nothing will grow well under yew - not even bulbs.

Wouldn't Cyclamen (coum and hederifolium) grow there?

My guess is, no.

Old 22-11-2005, 07:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Mike contains these words:
On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 16:16:26 +0000, Sacha
wrote:

snipped
... I didn't think we had any 'advisors' in this group - just
members. Ah well.

Are there any members? I think we are just Users ... We don't have a
subscription system to join anything here or any News Group .... just
Users and Lurkers perhaps :-)

Members? Well, loosely.

As the man with the wooden leg said, 'It's a mater of a pinion'.

Old 22-11-2005, 07:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rod Craddock

"Uncle-C" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi there ! I'm sure this old chesnut has made a previous appearance
!!
I need to cover or at least partially fill a shaded area underneath
my
Yew tree. I have had very little success over the last growing
season
so was wanting to ask what would be the best thing to plant.

Thanks

Uncle-C

High Wycombe - Chalk and flint abound !

Generally where I have a Yew in an area I want planted I tend to ask
myself - 'Is this Yew the most interesting use for the space?' Usually
the answer is no and the resulting clearing is a fine planting
opportunity, I've never yet regretted replacing Yews with something
else. Nothing against Yews, it's just that when I came here this
garden was nothing much other than Yew, Portugese Laurel, Rhododendron
ponticum and Sycamore. We are keeping a lot of nice self sownYews as a
background at the edge of the woodland in a large new area we're
planting.
--
Rod

My real address is rodtheweedygardeneratmyweedyisp
Just remove the weedy bits
and transplant the appropriate symbol at.