Old 23-11-2005, 11:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
newsb

Default What to plant under Yew tree "shade" ?

In article , Mike
writes

OK. "Owners".

Does that suit her ladyship?

Please note. NO ADVERT

Quite amazing what a paucity of information you have to offer - other
than continuing to confirm that you appear to be suffering from some
sort of OCD and narcissm.

Also, it looks like we have some sock puppets again. "Caroline and
Trev" - I'm not sure who is posting them but it is through ntl.

--
regards andyw
Old 23-11-2005, 01:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider

Uncle-C wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi there ! I'm sure this old chesnut has made a previous appearance !!
I need to cover or at least partially fill a shaded area underneath my
Yew tree. I have had very little success over the last growing season
so was wanting to ask what would be the best thing to plant.

Thanks

Uncle-C

High Wycombe - Chalk and flint abound !

Hi,

Under my Yew tree, I am successfully growing Snowdrops (Galanthus nivalis),
an unknown species of viola, a spreading clump of variegated Aspidistra -
suitably hardened off first, of course!

Without my consent, I also have growing Geum urbium, the Wood Avens and what
I believe is Enchanter's Nightshade (Circaea lutetiana).

I have plenty of Chiastophyllum oppositifolium, a spreading alpine with
lovely primrose-coloured drooping tassles above a mass of fleshy
rosette-forming leaves. For an alpine it is fairly tolerant of shade, so
I'm going to transplant some beneath the Yew and see how it copes. It may
be worth trying any slightly thuggish shade-lover. Vinca would be a strong
contender, and lovely with snowdrops growing through it.

Spider

Old 23-11-2005, 01:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La puce

Spider wrote:

Under my Yew tree, I am successfully growing Snowdrops (Galanthus nivalis),
an unknown species of viola, a spreading clump of variegated Aspidistra -
suitably hardened off first, of course!
Without my consent, I also have growing Geum urbium, the Wood Avens and what
I believe is Enchanter's Nightshade (Circaea lutetiana).

(snip)

Charming. Simply charming )

Old 23-11-2005, 01:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La puce

Spider wrote:
Under my Yew tree, I am successfully growing Snowdrops (Galanthus nivalis),
an unknown species of viola, a spreading clump of variegated Aspidistra -
suitably hardened off first, of course!
Without my consent, I also have growing Geum urbium, the Wood Avens and what
I believe is Enchanter's Nightshade (Circaea lutetiana).

Oops ... I forgot in my admiration .... the geum is the 'urbanum' not
urbium?! Urbium is the saxifraga is it not?

But it doesn't really matter. It still sounds really nice.

Old 23-11-2005, 06:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Trevor

My garden butts up to a churchyard. I have Cyclamen growing just under the
canopy of the Yews, though admittedly in full sun for 6 hours May-Sep.
Underneath the Yews in the rest of the churchyard there plenty of nettles
bindweed, various grasses et al.

I'd give Cyclamen, Aconites (the January flowering type and snowdrops a go)

Old 23-11-2005, 08:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

On 23/11/05 6:37 pm, in article
, "Trevor"
wrote:

My garden butts up to a churchyard. I have Cyclamen growing just under the
canopy of the Yews, though admittedly in full sun for 6 hours May-Sep.
Underneath the Yews in the rest of the churchyard there plenty of nettles
bindweed, various grasses et al.

I'd give Cyclamen, Aconites (the January flowering type and snowdrops a go)

But, but, but, the OP wanted something to fill in the gaps in the lower part
of the trunks of his Yew hedge. I don't think these delightful little
plants will do that. Only he can tell, of course. But I have the
impression that he's looking for something bushier and higher and so
on......
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 24-11-2005, 09:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
chris French

In message , Sacha
writes
On 23/11/05 6:37 pm, in article
, "Trevor"
wrote:

My garden butts up to a churchyard. I have Cyclamen growing just under the
canopy of the Yews, though admittedly in full sun for 6 hours May-Sep.
Underneath the Yews in the rest of the churchyard there plenty of nettles
bindweed, various grasses et al.

I'd give Cyclamen, Aconites (the January flowering type and snowdrops a go)

But, but, but, the OP wanted something to fill in the gaps in the lower part
of the trunks of his Yew hedge. I don't think these delightful little
plants will do that. Only he can tell, of course. But I have the
impression that he's looking for something bushier and higher and so
on......

That wasn't my impression, he said 'cover or at least partially fill a
shaded area' I took that to mean ground cover.
--
Chris French

Old 25-11-2005, 11:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider

La puce wrote in message
oups.com...

Spider wrote:
Under my Yew tree, I am successfully growing Snowdrops (Galanthus

nivalis),
an unknown species of viola, a spreading clump of variegated

Aspidistra -
suitably hardened off first, of course!
Without my consent, I also have growing Geum urbium, the Wood Avens and

what
I believe is Enchanter's Nightshade (Circaea lutetiana).

Oops ... I forgot in my admiration .... the geum is the 'urbanum' not
urbium?! Urbium is the saxifraga is it not?

But it doesn't really matter. It still sounds really nice.

Thanks for your admiration. And yes, you're right ... it is Geum urbanum;
serves me right for trying to do it from memory! "Urbanum" always seems a
strange tag to give a woodland plant - even an edge of woodland plant. I
would have expected "sylvestris" or something of that nature. "Urbanum"
seems to suggest a townscape or out-of-town wasteland. Just as well I don't
want a job as a taxonomist :~).

Spider

Old 25-11-2005, 08:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Kay

In article , Spider
writes

La puce wrote in message
roups.com...

Spider wrote:
[...]

Well, it is one of the most irritating and common garden weeds, so
'urbanum' is a good epithet in that respect.
--
Kay

Old 25-11-2005, 10:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert

"Kay" wrote in message
In article , Spider
writes

La puce wrote in message
groups.com...

Spider wrote:
[...]

Alternatively it was called "the blessed herb" Herba Benedicta.

Old 26-11-2005, 12:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Galpin

The message k
from Sacha contains these words:

Maybe bulbs/corms as
suggested will do the trick for part of the time and I then wondered if
lamium would work in such a position or even Geranium palmatum.
--
Sacha

Carrying on the Geranium theme, I find that G. nodosum copes well with
very dry conditions including deep shade.

Janet G
Old 15-07-2012, 02:16 AM
Registered User

Hi, it's not true! There are things that will grow under a yew tree. I have a mass of honeysuckle that I have trained round the trunks and up into the branches of the 2 massive yews in my garden. I also have cyclamen and geraniums under there. I am looking for other things to plant as I am not too keen on geraniums. Daphne was one suggestion I was given for a shrub, so I am going to give that a go and see how I get on. If anyone has any other suggestions other than 'nothing will grow there' I would love to hear them too. Thanks. Beck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle-C View Post