Old 24-11-2005, 01:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Cat(h)

Default Weeding

Alan Holmes wrote:

I've never found them to be any use at all, the roots are not destroyed and
they grow again.

The only real solution is one of the chemicals.

Alan

Many thanks, Alan and all who commented. I think there is little point
in buying the small "flame thrower". I am reluctant to use chemicals a
few times a year - I used two packs of Pathclear a few week ends ago,
each pack costing € - Euro - 29 (no doubt, typical Irish excessive
price). I may need to do this three times a year - allowing for not
much growth in winter - the product labelling states it lasts 3 months,
and it is quite good and effective during the growing season. By my
reckoning, that would cost me a total of € - Euro - 174 per year.
The alternatives to this are 1) hand pulling - I have done this this
spring and summer, qutie successfully, but if I miss a week end , it
goes mad quite quickly. And I have a lot of non-gardening things to do
at week ends.
or 2) a flame thrower with more power than the Weed Wizard. Even if it
doesn't completely kill the weeds, I imagine that using it every couple
of weeks would be faster than hand pulling, and might keep the drive
clear. Bearing in mind that not all hand pulling takes out roots, and
that new weeds keep coming anyway.

Option 2) sounds sensible to me having listened to all the advice, so
I'll investigate that avenue.

Thanks again, and my humblest apologies for unwittingly unleashing an
off-topic currency symbol debate. Though anything which contributes to
a bit of Microsoft bashing can't be totally evil.

Cat(h)
Herds twirl slow...

Old 24-11-2005, 02:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Martin Brown

Cat(h) wrote:
Alan Holmes wrote:

I've never found them to be any use at all, the roots are not destroyed and
they grow again.

The only real solution is one of the chemicals.

Alan

Many thanks, Alan and all who commented. I think there is little point
in buying the small "flame thrower". I am reluctant to use chemicals a
few times a year - I used two packs of Pathclear a few week ends ago,
each pack costing € - Euro - 29 (no doubt, typical Irish excessive
price). I may need to do this three times a year - allowing for not
much growth in winter - the product labelling states it lasts 3 months,
and it is quite good and effective during the growing season. By my
reckoning, that would cost me a total of € - Euro - 174 per year.

ISTR unless they have changed the licence that Pathclear did contain
Simazine and should not be used more often than every 6 months.
(I think now withdrawn under EEC rules)

How big is the drive if you are using that much weedkiller on it?

You should be able to control it with whatever fast acting weedkiller
you like unless you have invasive Japanese knotweed or something.

Residual weedkillers like pathclear stop new seeds germinating as well
as killing all the weeds.

The alternatives to this are 1) hand pulling - I have done this this
spring and summer, qutie successfully, but if I miss a week end , it
goes mad quite quickly. And I have a lot of non-gardening things to do
at week ends.
or 2) a flame thrower with more power than the Weed Wizard. Even if it
doesn't completely kill the weeds, I imagine that using it every couple
of weeks would be faster than hand pulling, and might keep the drive
clear. Bearing in mind that not all hand pulling takes out roots, and
that new weeds keep coming anyway.

Option 2) sounds sensible to me having listened to all the advice, so
I'll investigate that avenue.

Glyphosate would probably be more environmentally friendly. And in the
growing season you only need a trace on each green plant to work.

Thanks again, and my humblest apologies for unwittingly unleashing an
off-topic currency symbol debate. Though anything which contributes to
a bit of Microsoft bashing can't be totally evil.

Works OK here, but then I was in Belgium when the Euro launched.

Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 24-11-2005, 03:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert

"Cat(h)" wrote in message
oups.com...

[...]

Although I agree that the flamethrower things are not that good at killing
the roots of weeds they do a good job of killing seeds and seedlings. From
your description it appears that seeds are the problem.

Old 24-11-2005, 04:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Ron Clark

On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 21:23:38 -0000, "Mike Lyle"
wrote this (or the missive
included this):

Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:
The message

Admittedly, if it DID reach me as one, I would be worrying how you
had hacked into my computer :-) Usenet uses ASCII - there is no
Euro symbol in ASCII.

Alt + 0128 = Euro
Alt + 0208 = Deutchmark

OK, I'll try.
Alt+0128...?
Alt+1208...Ð

How'd I do?

c minus

Ð This is Alt+0208, not your version.

How'd I do?

--
®óñ© © ² * ¹°°³ -¹

Old 24-11-2005, 04:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Alan Holmes" contains these words:

?39, not £39. That's about £26 - special offer, down from ?59
(lucky me), not including the gas canister.
Welcome to Rip Off Ireland :-)

The Euro sign does not feature in any standard ASCII set, so those of us
who have protocol compliant newsreaders are either seeing a question
mark, or a black rectangle.

Be sure that symbols you use are supported by standards, or you will be
misunderstood - at best.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 24-11-2005, 04:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message .com
from "Cat(h)" contains these words:

Thanks again, and my humblest apologies for unwittingly unleashing an
off-topic currency symbol debate. Though anything which contributes to
a bit of Microsoft bashing can't be totally evil.

The pleasure is entirely ours.

--
Grumbler
Old 24-11-2005, 05:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Martin Brown contains these words:

ISTR unless they have changed the licence that Pathclear did contain
Simazine and should not be used more often than every 6 months.
(I think now withdrawn under EEC rules)

Can't think why - it doesn't leach very fast. I ploughed a field which
had had Simazine on it (was maize) three years previously, then took a
cultivator and a harrow over it and sowed barley.

The crop was a failure.

How big is the drive if you are using that much weedkiller on it?

You should be able to control it with whatever fast acting weedkiller
you like unless you have invasive Japanese knotweed or something.

Residual weedkillers like pathclear stop new seeds germinating as well
as killing all the weeds.

That's Simazine's job.

The alternatives to this are 1) hand pulling - I have done this this
spring and summer, qutie successfully, but if I miss a week end , it
goes mad quite quickly. And I have a lot of non-gardening things to do
at week ends.
or 2) a flame thrower with more power than the Weed Wizard. Even if it
doesn't completely kill the weeds, I imagine that using it every couple
of weeks would be faster than hand pulling, and might keep the drive
clear. Bearing in mind that not all hand pulling takes out roots, and
that new weeds keep coming anyway.

Option 2) sounds sensible to me having listened to all the advice, so
I'll investigate that avenue.

Glyphosate would probably be more environmentally friendly. And in the
growing season you only need a trace on each green plant to work.

I'd agree there.

Thanks again, and my humblest apologies for unwittingly unleashing an
off-topic currency symbol debate. Though anything which contributes to
a bit of Microsoft bashing can't be totally evil.

Works OK here, but then I was in Belgium when the Euro launched.

Zaphod

Belgium, man! Belgium!

/Zaphod

Old 24-11-2005, 06:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
chris French

In message , Jaques
d'Alltrades writes
The message
from "Alan Holmes" contains these words:

?39, not £39. That's about £26 - special offer, down from ?59
(lucky me), not including the gas canister.
Welcome to Rip Off Ireland :-)

The Euro sign does not feature in any standard ASCII set, so those of us
who have protocol compliant newsreaders are either seeing a question
mark, or a black rectangle.

Not necessarily, mine is compliant but can additionally show the Euro
character in this case.

Be sure that symbols you use are supported by standards, or you will be
misunderstood - at best.

Indeed
--
Chris French

Old 24-11-2005, 09:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Martin Brown

Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:

The message
from Martin Brown contains these words:

Works OK here, but then I was in Belgium when the Euro launched.

Zaphod

Belgium, man! Belgium!

/Zaphod

FX
Evil grin.
/FX

Regards,
Martin Brown

Old 24-11-2005, 09:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Martin Brown wrote:
Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:

Works OK here, but then I was in Belgium when the Euro launched.

Zaphod

Belgium, man! Belgium!

/Zaphod

FX
Evil grin.
/FX

My first encounter with Belgium was when I lived in a location (not
in Belgium) where the only decent road to anywhere else led through
Belgium. So we had to drive through it to get there - despite
starting and ending in the same country.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.