Old 23-11-2005, 10:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

Default Weeding

On 23/11/05 10:32 pm, in article
, "Sacha"
wrote:

snip

I have no idea but.....€ is the Euro symbol produced by the alt key alone
on my Mac using what my own headers tell me is
Microsoft-Entourage/10.0.0.1309. I'll be interested to see how it turns
out when I see it as posted to the group.

And on my screen it is the Euro symbol.

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 23-11-2005, 10:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle

Sacha wrote:
On 23/11/05 9:26 pm, in article ,

"Mike
Lyle" wrote:

Mike Lyle wrote:
Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:
The message
from
(Nick Maclaren) contains these words:

Admittedly, if it DID reach me as one, I would be worrying how

you
had hacked into my computer :-) Usenet uses ASCII - there is

no
Euro symbol in ASCII.

Alt + 0128 = Euro
Alt + 0208 = Deutchmark

OK, I'll try.
Alt+0128...?
Alt+1208...

How'd I do?

Well, there we a DMark fine, but euro, question mark. As I,

too,
thought, there really is no euro symbol in ASCII, which is a

pretty
old convention, after all.

I have no idea but.....? is the Euro symbol produced by the alt

key
alone on my Mac using what my own headers tell me is
Microsoft-Entourage/10.0.0.1309. I'll be interested to see how it
turns out when I see it as posted to the group.

PS: Having tried to press 'send' I'm now told this has to be sent

as
Unicode which might not work with 'older mail clients'. As I feel
that I fit firmly into that bracket, I'm going to say 'yes'.
Anything for a new experience........

OK, that displayed correctly on my OE: this is presumably because OE
is a Microsoft product, and you're using a Microsoft standard. It
won't always be compatible with ASCII, which is (as far as I know,
anyhow) the only universal standard. The Unicode thing rumbles on and
on; I've long since stopped thinking about it, but there'll be a
solution one day. Bluebirds over the white cliffs of Dover, too --
just you wait and see...

--
Mike.

Old 23-11-2005, 10:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

On 23/11/05 10:43 pm, in article , "Mike Lyle"
wrote:

Sacha wrote:
On 23/11/05 9:26 pm, in article
,
[...]

Uh huh. While I'm waiting for that glorious day, what was the Euro symbol
in my post is a question mark in your reply. ;-(
I must be honest and say that I'm with Cat(h) with regard to using my
computer. For me, it's a bit like using my car. I want to turn it on and
have it work - I feel no need to know what goes on under its bonnet!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 23-11-2005, 11:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message k
from Sacha contains these words:

Well, there we a DMark fine, but euro, question mark. As I, too,
thought, there really is no euro symbol in ASCII, which is a pretty
old convention, after all.

I have no idea but.....€ is the Euro symbol produced by the alt
key alone
on my Mac using what my own headers tell me is
Microsoft-Entourage/10.0.0.1309.

a circumflex, black oblong, ickle pistol. ¬

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 23-11-2005, 11:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message k
from Sacha contains these words:

Uh huh. While I'm waiting for that glorious day, what was the Euro symbol
in my post is a question mark in your reply. ;-(
I must be honest and say that I'm with Cat(h) with regard to using my
computer. For me, it's a bit like using my car. I want to turn it on and
have it work - I feel no need to know what goes on under its bonnet!

That seems to be Micro$oft's attitude, too.

The trouble is, they will insist on filling other programs' tanks with
diesel, when they run on petrol.

Old 24-11-2005, 07:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
chris French

In message , Jaques
d'Alltrades writes
The message k
from Sacha contains these words:

Uh huh. While I'm waiting for that glorious day, what was the Euro symbol
in my post is a question mark in your reply. ;-(
I must be honest and say that I'm with Cat(h) with regard to using my
computer. For me, it's a bit like using my car. I want to turn it on and
have it work - I feel no need to know what goes on under its bonnet!

That seems to be Micro$oft's attitude, too.

The trouble is, they will insist on filling other programs' tanks with
diesel, when they run on petrol.

Though in this case I don't think MS can really be held to blame,
Sacha's just highlighted the issue hasn't she really, characters such
as the Euro, and for that matter the pound sterling symbol, that aren't
included in the ASCII character set may or may not survive transit.

Which is why the bottom line answer to this is not to use such symbols
at all and to use the three letter international abbreviations for
currencies such as GBP, EUR, etc. (doesn't apply to USD of) course as
the dollar symbol is part of the ASCII character set
--
Chris French

Old 24-11-2005, 01:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Alan Holmes

"Cat(h)" wrote in message
oups.com...
Further to an earlier post, Janet Barraclough (I think?) said she dealt
with weeds on her driveway and other paths with a flame-thrower rather
than chemicals.
I rather like the sound of it, and have found somethign called the Weed
Wizard, a small hand-held flamethrower which operates with a small
bottle of butane, for what seems a reasonable cost of ?39.
Bearing in mind the huge cost of Pathclear for the surface I need to
treat, the fact that it is a toxic chemical, and that it is making
little enough impression - except stunting their growth - on my weeds
this time of year, I am very tempted by this tool. It also has the
potential of being used even in beds (plant beds, that is...).
Has anyone else here any experience of this tool? Is it any good? How
widely available are the small butane bottles? How dear are they?
Thank you for any helpful comment!

Cat(h)
Herds twirl slow...

I've never found them to be any use at all, the roots are not destroyed and
they grow again.

The only real solution is one of the chemicals.

Alan

Old 24-11-2005, 01:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from chris French contains these words:

The trouble is, they will insist on filling other programs' tanks with
diesel, when they run on petrol.

Though in this case I don't think MS can really be held to blame,
Sacha's just highlighted the issue hasn't she really, characters such
as the Euro, and for that matter the pound sterling symbol, that aren't
included in the ASCII character set may or may not survive transit.

Which is why the bottom line answer to this is not to use such symbols
at all and to use the three letter international abbreviations for
currencies such as GBP, EUR, etc. (doesn't apply to USD of) course as
the dollar symbol is part of the ASCII character set

Most readers support 8-bit, and most of the extra characters are
supported by that.

Unfortunately, the Euro sign is far too modern (FSVO modern) to have
been included, and you can't just unilaterally update a standard without
causing a lot of problems. It is this last aspect of which Microsoft and
others (Netscape especially) are/were guilty.

Old 24-11-2005, 01:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Alan Holmes

"Cat(h)" wrote in message
oups.com...

shazzbat wrote:

"Cat(h)" wrote in message
[...]

£39 is extremely over the top. £11-12 at the budget shops, inc a can of
gas.

?39, not £39. That's about £26 - special offer, down from ?59
(lucky me), not including the gas canister.
Welcome to Rip Off Ireland :-)

The butane or propane or butane/propane mix (all are suitable) are widely
available for blowlamps etc, you'll get them at car accessory shops etc.

It's a handy tool in that you can spare your back whilst using it standing
up, but if greenness is your aim, what you gain by not using toxic
chemicals
you lose by using hydrocarbons. Your choice.

I am not fanatical about my greenness, and have been known to eat
things that throw shadows...
I still prefer the idea of flame to that of dousing the ground
repeatedly with chemicals.

Except that as I've said in another article, it is unlikely that the weeds
will be totally killed.

Alan

Cat(h)
Herds twirl slow...

Old 24-11-2005, 01:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Alan Holmes

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in message
k...
The message
from "shazzbat" contains these words:

Ta,
St?v?

Question marks.

I wonder if it depends which font you use to read nesw in?

I always have trouble reading nesw!(:-)

Alan