Old 23-11-2005, 06:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
shazzbat

Default Weeding

"Derek Turner" somewhat@odds wrote in message
shazzbat wrote:

Actually I've just discovered that the 4 key on my keyboard has a $ sign
if you press the shift key, and there's a euro sign to the right of the
4, but I can't find how to make it work. Ctrl doesn't do it.

Steve

Alt Gr, to the right of your space bar!

So it do?s!

Ta,
St?v?

Old 23-11-2005, 06:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "shazzbat" contains these words:

SNIP

?39, not £39. That's about £26 - special offer, down from ?59
(lucky me), not including the gas canister.
Welcome to Rip Off Ireland :-)

Ah, so that was a euro sign? It came out as a question mark on my screen, I
was wondering about that :-))

Came out as a black rectangle on mine, but I guessed.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 23-11-2005, 07:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message k
from Sacha contains these words:

I'll know for future reference.
Isn't it pathetic, though, that many servers and other computersy
things I am utterly illiterate about are not equipped to deal with a
major world currency which is legal tender since 2001?
Grumble.

Yes. ;-)

2001 is virtually yesterday. The charsets used in mail and news should
conform to a standard. Unfortunately, the standard doesn't include the
Euro sign, and the problem with changing the standard is that everyone
in the world would have to upgrade their software to accommodate it.

Programs which will compose non-standard characters are, IMO, a pain.

Old 23-11-2005, 07:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Derek Turner somewhat@odds contains these words:

shazzbat wrote:

Actually I've just discovered that the 4 key on my keyboard has a $
sign if
you press the shift key, and there's a euro sign to the right of the
4, but
I can't find how to make it work. Ctrl doesn't do it.

Steve

Alt Gr, to the right of your space bar!

Yes, that does it in Notepad and other text programs, but not in the
charsets compliant with internet protocols - presumably English.

It probably works in Greek ones.

Old 23-11-2005, 07:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Space

"shazzbat" wrote in message

I'll know for future reference.
Isn't it pathetic, though, that many servers and other computersy
things I am utterly illiterate about are not equipped to deal with a
major world currency which is legal tender since 2001?
Grumble.

Yes. ;-)
--

Especially since Excel etc have the euro as an option in the currency
department.

Actually I've just discovered that the 4 key on my keyboard has a $ sign

if
you press the shift key, and there's a euro sign to the right of the 4,

but
I can't find how to make it work. Ctrl doesn't do it.

Steve

Ctrl Alt 4 does it
? (------- now does this post as a euro sign??)

Old 23-11-2005, 08:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Space wrote:

Ctrl Alt 4 does it
? (------- now does this post as a euro sign??)

No.

Admittedly, if it DID reach me as one, I would be worrying how you
had hacked into my computer :-) Usenet uses ASCII - there is no
Euro symbol in ASCII.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 23-11-2005, 08:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:

2001 is virtually yesterday. The charsets used in mail and news should
conform to a standard. Unfortunately, the standard doesn't include the
Euro sign, and the problem with changing the standard is that everyone
in the world would have to upgrade their software to accommodate it.

It is far worse than that, but the details are way off-group. I am
no expert, but know rather more than most people (translation: don't
rattle my cage, as I could go on for many hours - but I wouldn't be
able to give a full week's seminar on this).

Programs which will compose non-standard characters are, IMO, a pain.

That is a gross understatement. In general, they are just plain
broken.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 23-11-2005, 08:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Space" contains these words:

Ctrl Alt 4 does it
? (------- now does this post as a euro sign??)

Question mark.

Old 23-11-2005, 08:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
shazzbat wrote:

Well I give up. When I typed it out, Altgr+4 came out as a euro sign, but
when it appeared in the thread it was a question mark.

Good. If you want a short summary of the principles of the chaos,
please ask. But I can assure you that you don't want to know.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 23-11-2005, 08:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "shazzbat" contains these words:

Ta,
St?v?

Question marks.

I wonder if it depends which font you use to read nesw in?