Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 24-11-2005, 06:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Chris Hogg

Default Wind chill, fleece etc.

How much does wind chill effect plants? I assume that because it's a
calculated figure intended to give humans some idea of how cold it
feels, then an air temperature of say 2C with a wind chill of say -3C
doesn't actually mean plants will freeze (assuming they would anyway
at sub-zero temperatures). But I also assume that, because of the
effect of the wind, plants will actually reach that 2C much quicker
than they would do in still air, and that their own individual
microclimate within the 'envelope' of the plant would be greatly
reduced or literally blown away.

Which brings me on to fleece. In still air (or almost so) I assume
fleece works by preventing loss of heat by radiation and thus prevents
a ground frost settling on the plant. In windy conditions, I assume
that the fleece goes some way to preserving the microclimate within
the envelope of the plant (see above) and so provides some insulation
and also prevents desiccation to some degree. Is there a rule-of-thumb
as to how much frost protection can be achieved with fleece and under
what conditions? I assume it depends to some degree on wind strength.

Am I right? Any views or experiences?

--
Chris

Wind chill... rbel[_2_] United Kingdom 5 31-01-2014 11:28 AM
Wind, wind and more wind. David Hill United Kingdom 5 03-01-2014 11:03 PM
Wind, gusty and then more wind and gusts Baz[_3_] United Kingdom 36 21-04-2013 11:34 PM
Wind, rain. More wind and rain forecast. Baz[_4_] United Kingdom 19 29-04-2012 04:00 PM
Wind Chill UkJay United Kingdom 0 20-01-2006 01:46 PM