Old 30-01-2014, 06:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Wind chill...

....is it a factor as far as plants are concerned?

My assumption has always been that it is not. The crucial aspect is
ambient temperature. A neighbour was commenting on the fleece bags
protecting our half standard bays and as we are located in a rather
exposed position it cropped up in the conversation.
--
rbel
Old 30-01-2014, 06:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , rbel wrote:

...is it a factor as far as plants are concerned?

My assumption has always been that it is not. The crucial aspect is
ambient temperature. A neighbour was commenting on the fleece bags
protecting our half standard bays and as we are located in a rather
exposed position it cropped up in the conversation.

Actually, it is, but not in the form of wind chill. Strong winds
are often dessicating, especially at high temperatures and below
freezing (seriously). And they also mean that solid objects will
freeze further, so that an overnight frost can be more damaging,
and longer ones can freeze the ground deeper.

I don't bother with fleece-type protection much, as it really helps
only for overnight frosts. For longer ones, plants will get to
ambient, anyway, as you say.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 31-01-2014, 12:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , rbel says...

On Thu, 30 Jan 2014 18:20:36 +0000 (GMT),
(Nick Maclaren) wrote:

In article , rbel wrote:

...is it a factor as far as plants are concerned?

My assumption has always been that it is not. The crucial aspect is
ambient temperature. A neighbour was commenting on the fleece bags
protecting our half standard bays and as we are located in a rather
exposed position it cropped up in the conversation.

Actually, it is, but not in the form of wind chill. Strong winds
are often dessicating, especially at high temperatures and below
freezing (seriously). And they also mean that solid objects will
freeze further, so that an overnight frost can be more damaging,
and longer ones can freeze the ground deeper.

I don't bother with fleece-type protection much, as it really helps
only for overnight frosts. For longer ones, plants will get to
ambient, anyway, as you say.

AIUI dessication is primarily due to the wind speed and humidity of
the air passing over the plants surfaces, thus cold damp air will not
dry plants out to the degree that hot dry air will, given that other
conditions are constant.

The UK rarely experiences hot dry wind. But it does experience cold
dry wind from the north/north east and IME those can "windburn" foliage
by dessication.

Janet.
Old 31-01-2014, 10:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Janet wrote:
In article , rbel says...

AIUI dessication is primarily due to the wind speed and humidity of
the air passing over the plants surfaces, thus cold damp air will not
dry plants out to the degree that hot dry air will, given that other
conditions are constant.

The UK rarely experiences hot dry wind. But it does experience cold
dry wind from the north/north east and IME those can "windburn" foliage
by dessication.

Yes. Though, in my area, warm drying winds are not rare.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 31-01-2014, 11:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

(Nick Maclaren) wrote:

In article , rbel wrote:

[...]

Our Rosa banksiae lutea lost most of its leaves last spring because of
the cold, drying winds. It's the first time we've known that to happen.
Usually it's evergreen, losing only a few leaves. It recovered slowly
but flowered very poorly, again for the first time to our knowledge.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Wind, wind and more wind. David Hill United Kingdom 5 03-01-2014 11:03 PM
Wind, gusty and then more wind and gusts Baz[_3_] United Kingdom 36 21-04-2013 11:34 PM
Wind, rain. More wind and rain forecast. Baz[_4_] United Kingdom 19 29-04-2012 04:00 PM
Wind Chill UkJay United Kingdom 0 20-01-2006 01:46 PM
Wind chill, fleece etc. Chris Hogg United Kingdom 11 25-11-2005 08:15 PM