Old 25-11-2005, 09:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La puce

Default Squirrel problems somebody?

To you who is bothered about squirrels, I've found a squirrel deterrent
called the 'squirrel baffle'. It's a super smooth, slippery,
polycarbonate dome which you hang above or below a bird feeder. Not
sure it works with tulips ....

www.queenswood.co.uk

Old 25-11-2005, 10:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Tumbleweed

"La puce" wrote in message
oups.com...
To you who is bothered about squirrels, I've found a squirrel deterrent
called the 'squirrel baffle'. It's a super smooth, slippery,
polycarbonate dome which you hang above or below a bird feeder. Not
sure it works with tulips ....

Definitely, even adult tulips cannot climb past the smooth polycarbonate.
--
Tumbleweed

tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com

Old 26-11-2005, 01:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Tumbleweed

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "Tumbleweed" contains these words:

"La puce" wrote in message
oups.com...
To you who is bothered about squirrels, I've found a squirrel deterrent
called the 'squirrel baffle'. It's a super smooth, slippery,
polycarbonate dome which you hang above or below a bird feeder. Not
sure it works with tulips ....

Definitely, even adult tulips cannot climb past the smooth polycarbonate.

Tulips wouldn't want to climb onto a bird feeder, they don't eat birds.

Neither do squirrels but they climb onto bird feeders

Old 26-11-2005, 01:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message .com
from "La puce" contains these words:

To you who is bothered about squirrels, I've found a squirrel deterrent
called the 'squirrel baffle'. It's a super smooth, slippery,
polycarbonate dome which you hang above or below a bird feeder. Not
sure it works with tulips ....

Do you want to deter tulips?

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

Old 26-11-2005, 08:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jeanne Stockdale

"La puce" wrote in message
oups.com...
To you who is bothered about squirrels, I've found a squirrel deterrent
called the 'squirrel baffle'. It's a super smooth, slippery,
polycarbonate dome which you hang above or below a bird feeder. Not
sure it works with tulips ....

www.queenswood.co.uk

Many years ago, my father-in-law nailed aluminium sheeting round the edges
of his bird table (to a depth of about 1 foot). This certainly stopped the
squirrels getting to the bird feed

Jeanne

Old 26-11-2005, 11:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JennyC

"La puce" wrote in message
oups.com...
To you who is bothered about squirrels, I've found a squirrel deterrent
called the 'squirrel baffle'. It's a super smooth, slippery,
polycarbonate dome which you hang above or below a bird feeder. Not
sure it works with tulips ....

www.queenswood.co.uk

Brilliant idea........

BUT seems exorbitantly priced at 18.99 for a inverted plastic bowl!

Methinks I can make one myself for less than a pound ......... :~))
Jenny

Old 26-11-2005, 11:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JennyC

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in message
k...
The message
from "Tumbleweed" contains these words:

Definitely, even adult tulips cannot climb past the smooth polycarbonate.

Flippin' rays!
Rusty

Here's what you need:
http://people.csail.mit.edu/rahimi/helmet/

That'll confuse a few people :~))
Jenny

Old 26-11-2005, 01:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "JennyC" contains these words:
"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in message
k...
The message
from "Tumbleweed" contains these words:

Definitely, even adult tulips cannot climb past the smooth
polycarbonate.

Flippin' rays!
Rusty

Here's what you need:
http://people.csail.mit.edu/rahimi/helmet/

That'll confuse a few people :~))

Just as I was opening Tumbleweed's post, I was listening to Home Truths
on R4, and M.R. was reporting a similar coincidence, so I sent the prog
a quick emu complaining that their rays were leaking out all over
Usenet...

Old 26-11-2005, 02:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Alan Holmes

"Tumbleweed" wrote in message

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "Tumbleweed" contains these words:

"La puce" wrote in message
oups.com...
To you who is bothered about squirrels, I've found a squirrel
deterrent
called the 'squirrel baffle'. It's a super smooth, slippery,
polycarbonate dome which you hang above or below a bird feeder. Not
sure it works with tulips ....

Definitely, even adult tulips cannot climb past the smooth
polycarbonate.

Tulips wouldn't want to climb onto a bird feeder, they don't eat birds.

Neither do squirrels but they climb onto bird feeders

Not to sure about that, they certainly destroy the nests.

Alan

Old 26-11-2005, 03:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Alan Holmes

" Jeanne Stockdale" wrote in message

"La puce" wrote in message
oups.com...
To you who is bothered about squirrels, I've found a squirrel deterrent
called the 'squirrel baffle'. It's a super smooth, slippery,
polycarbonate dome which you hang above or below a bird feeder. Not
sure it works with tulips ....

www.queenswood.co.uk

Many years ago, my father-in-law nailed aluminium sheeting round the edges
of his bird table (to a depth of about 1 foot). This certainly stopped the
squirrels getting to the bird feed

How can I prevent the damned pigeons and parakeets getting at the bird feed?

Alan

Jeanne

Old 26-11-2005, 03:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike

Many years ago, my father-in-law nailed aluminium sheeting round the

edges
of his bird table (to a depth of about 1 foot). This certainly stopped

the
squirrels getting to the bird feed

How can I prevent the damned pigeons and parakeets getting at the bird

feed?

Alan

Hi Alan

I had this problem with pigeons and collard doves. I have a bird seed feeder
fixed to a fence post. The birds, mainly House and Hedge Sparrows would get
on the perch and scatter the seed everywhere, that on the ground, wasted. So
I fixed a tray of about 12" square underneath it about 8" down to catch the
seed. Fine, birds went on there to scrabble about in it. BUT, the Pigeons
and Collard Doves discovered that by standing on the tray, they were at the
right height to pick straight out of the tray :-(( I wrapped 2" mesh fencing
round the tray to stop said large birds landing. Worked a treat until they
discovered they could get over the top. Another piece laid over the top
solved that :-)) The Sparrows, Gold Finches, Blue Tits, Robins, Green
Finches, Dunnocks, Coal Tits and Chaffinches can all go through the netting
with no problem at all, whilst the Collard Doves have tried a few times,
they sit on top wondering how the hell they can get in, but have almost
given up.

We are not troubled with Grey Squirrels as we have none on the Island here,
we only have Reds and the nearest I have seen one to home was about 2 miles
away :-))

If someone can point me to a web site where I can post a picture of the set
up I would be delighted to do so.

Mike
Who doesn't knowingly tell lies despite postings on this newsgroup.

Old 26-11-2005, 04:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
michael adams

"Mike" wrote in message

I had this problem with pigeons and collard doves. I have a bird
feeder fixed to a fence post. The birds, mainly House and Hedge
Sparrows would get on the perch and scatter the seed everywhere,
that on the ground, wasted.

With many bird feeders birds hang around underneath to pick up
the stray stuff that gets scattered. Anyway...

[...]

Go to tinypic.com

http://tinypic.com/

click on [Browse] until you locate the
picture on your computer

then click on [Host Picture]

and it will eventually show the URL for the picture at the bottom,
in various forms which you can then post

Old 26-11-2005, 04:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike

--
..
"michael adams" wrote in message

"Mike" wrote in message

I had this problem with pigeons and collard doves. I have a bird
feeder fixed to a fence post. The birds, mainly House and Hedge
Sparrows would get on the perch and scatter the seed everywhere,
that on the ground, wasted.

With many bird feeders birds hang around underneath to pick up
the stray stuff that gets scattered. Anyway...

They do indeed, the 'ground feeders' like the Blackbirds, not listed in the
following list, scrabble and scratch about at ground level and that is why I
put my Apple cores on the path for them to feed from. I also have a bowl on
the path for them to drink from.

[...]

Michael very many thanks for that. The sun has gone in now, but I will do
that tomorrow. (Subject to the sun coming out and there being sufficient
light)

Mike
Who doesn't knowingly tell lies despite postings on this newsgroup.

as above

BIG Squirrel problems [email protected] Gardening 4 14-06-2005 12:20 AM
BIG Squirrel problems Daniel Gardening 3 10-06-2005 06:53 PM
Can somebody help me Michael Shaffer Ponds 6 25-06-2003 12:08 AM
brick (is taken by somebody else) Jane Peppler North Carolina 1 10-05-2003 09:56 PM
IS THERE SOMEBODY IN THIS NEWSGROUP IN ASUTRALIA?? A. N. Orchids 1 24-04-2003 01:20 AM