Old 19-03-2003, 10:20 AM
Amber

Default when is it spring (pruning)

ahh sorry to ask a dumb question but my books are in storage ready for our
move and I just looked out on the sad garden and thought I should do some
spring tasks so it looks as best as it can when we try and sell, well less
messey anyhow.

When is it counted as spring so I can prune back things that take a spring
pruning? I am presuming if I do it too early a last min frost could kill the
buds/plant. It seemed cold this morning (SE London) so I did part of the
budleia so it felt like I had done something but was that wrong?

Thanks
amber

Old 19-03-2003, 01:56 PM
Dwayne

Fruit trees and roses must be dormant when you prune them. Some flowers
need to be pruned when they finish blooming in the late summer or early
fall. Not knowing what plants you are talking about makes it a little hard
to give you a good answer.

I would imagine that a prospective buyer would overlook plants that need
pruning, more so than they would plants that had been damaged by frost.

Dwayne

Old 19-03-2003, 06:44 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article , Dwayne wrote:
Fruit trees and roses must be dormant when you prune them. Some flowers
need to be pruned when they finish blooming in the late summer or early
fall. Not knowing what plants you are talking about makes it a little hard
to give you a good answer.

That's true, but I must dissent that fruit trees and roses must be
dormant. They SHOULD be, but most of them are pretty forgiving,
and you can certainly prune most roses after growth has started
and even fruit trees in summer, if you have to.

As far as buddleia is concerned, if it is davidii (the common one),
the worst that will happen is that its shoots will get frosted, it
will sulk for a week or so, and then put out new ones. You can harm
them by incorrect pruning, but you REALLY have to work at it!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren,
Email:
Tel.: +44 1223 334761 Fax: +44 1223 334679
Old 20-03-2003, 07:32 AM
Pete The Gardener

On Wed, 19 Mar 2003 10:15:08 +0000 (UTC), "Amber"
wrote:

ahh sorry to ask a dumb question but my books are in storage ready for our
move and I just looked out on the sad garden and thought I should do some
spring tasks so it looks as best as it can when we try and sell, well less
messey anyhow.

When is it counted as spring so I can prune back things that take a spring
pruning? I am presuming if I do it too early a last min frost could kill the
buds/plant. It seemed cold this morning (SE London) so I did part of the
budleia so it felt like I had done something but was that wrong?

I've done a lot of mine over the last week or two, but we're a bit
warmer than you. At a guess you're getting light frosts at night ATM
so it might be worth leaving for a few days, though little harm would
be done for most of the hardier plants if you went ahead now.
--
Pete The Gardener
A room without books is like a body without a soul.

Old 21-03-2003, 01:56 AM
Hussein M.

On Thu, 20 Mar 2003 09:05:47 +0000 (UTC), "Amber"
wrotc:

Last year I pruned the Buddliea right
late into the season and it still did well. Its giant now. Best find a house
fast then I don't have to worry about it!

First time I have heard of anyone camped out under a Buddleia!

Hussein
Grow a little garden

Old 22-03-2003, 11:28 AM
Amber

wrote:

[...]

I haven't done some of my roses from the winter yet cos they seemed to grow
all the way through, I think there was no time there wasn't flowers coming
out. Of course now they are budding. Last year I pruned the Buddliea right
late into the season and it still did well. Its giant now. Best find a house
fast then I don't have to worry about it!

Thanks for the tips
hugs
amber

Old 22-03-2003, 11:30 AM
Pete The Gardener

wrote:

I haven't done some of my roses from the winter yet cos they seemed to grow
all the way through, I think there was no time there wasn't flowers coming
out. Of course now they are budding. Last year I pruned the Buddliea right
late into the season and it still did well. Its giant now. Best find a house
fast then I don't have to worry about it!

I finished my roses yesterday, the buddlejas were mostly done a couple
of weeks ago (they're quite tough and very hard to kill:-)). The
hydrangeas were done last week, I had a moment or two of worry when I
heard the forecasts for cold nights but they haven't been cold enough
to de any harm.
Good luck with finding a new house BTW.