Old 12-12-2005, 07:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle

Default Lazy-ish enquiry: distribution maps

Fed up with Googling, so perhaps somebody here knows the answer: I'd
be most grateful for any help.

I'm looking for online world plant distribution maps, in particular
at present for stinging nettle species. I've found plenty for
particular countries, but not one for the world.

My curiosity is because a R4 programme about British exports of
stinging-nettle tea to China (they're welcome to it) mentioned that
our nettle was unknown in that country. I assume they meant either or
both of _Urtica dioecia_ and _U. urens_. Either way, I was a bit
surprised -- I gather the things are found at least as far east as
India, and they are introductions in N. America and Australia.

I never cease to be surprised at how slow plants seem to be to spread
across land-masses, even allowing for deserts and mountain ranges.

--
Mike.

Old 12-12-2005, 09:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
michael adams

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
Fed up with Googling, so perhaps somebody here knows the answer: I'd
be most grateful for any help.

I'm looking for online world plant distribution maps, in particular
at present for stinging nettle species. I've found plenty for
particular countries, but not one for the world.

My curiosity is because a R4 programme about British exports of
stinging-nettle tea to China (they're welcome to it) mentioned that
our nettle was unknown in that country. I assume they meant either or
both of _Urtica dioecia_ and _U. urens_. Either way, I was a bit
surprised -- I gather the things are found at least as far east as
India, and they are introductions in N. America and Australia.

I never cease to be surprised at how slow plants seem to be to spread
across land-masses, even allowing for deserts and mountain ranges.

According to wikipaedia, China specifically is host to at least 2
nettle species, Urtica platyphylla and Urtica angustifolia and may
be host to others on the list. Quite how many competing species of
any one particular genus can establish themselves and surive alongside
already established species will presumably be a primary limiting
factor, regardless of the distribution vectors.

The full list is as follows -

Urtica angustifolia. China, Japan, Korea.
Urtica cannabina. Western Asia from Siberia to Iran.
Urtica dioica (Stinging nettle or Bull nettle). Europe, Asia,
North America.
Urtica dubia (Large-leaved nettle) Canada.
Urtica ferox (Ongaonga or tree nettle). New Zealand.
Urtica hyperborea. Himalaya from Pakistan to Bhutan, Mongolia and
Tibet, high altitudes.
Urtica incisa (Scrub nettle). Australia.
Urtica laetivirens. Japan, Manchuria.
Urtica parviflora. Himalaya (lower altitudes).
Urtica pilulifera (Roman nettle). Europe
Urtica platyphylla. China, Japan.
Urtica thunbergiana. Japan.
Urtica urens (Dwarf nettle or Annual nettle).
Europe, North America.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nettle

michael adams

Mike.

Old 12-12-2005, 09:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Mike Lyle wrote:

I never cease to be surprised at how slow plants seem to be to spread
across land-masses, even allowing for deserts and mountain ranges.

Well, yes and no. It depends critically on HOW they spread. Ones
carried by wide-ranging birds or high into the air by the wind have
been ubiquitous since time immemorial.

Nettles, oxlip etc. spread by seeds falling under gravity, and so
will move slowly. Only the occasional one will be carried further
by mammals or birds.

Black nightshade, on the other hand, is spread by many species of
birds and is ubiquitous.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 13-12-2005, 11:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle

Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
In message , Mike Lyle
writes
Fed up with Googling, so perhaps somebody here knows the answer:

I'd
be most grateful for any help.

I'm looking for online world plant distribution maps, in

particular
at present for stinging nettle species. I've found plenty for
particular countries, but not one for the world.

http://linnaeus.nrm.se/flora/di/urti...c/urtidio.html
http://linnaeus.nrm.se/flora/di/urti...c/urtiure.html

"Norra halvklotet" buttons take you to world distribution maps.

[...]

Many thanks, Michael, Nick, Stewart.

--
Mike.

quick pond enquiry re electrics Janet Tweedy United Kingdom 9 29-01-2007 08:01 AM
CGS/HPS Seed Distribution Trevor Appleton United Kingdom 3 18-01-2004 04:06 PM
Orchids Distribution Channel? dk Orchids 2 05-10-2003 11:32 PM
Plant enquiry Saffy United Kingdom 8 19-05-2003 05:56 PM
RHS seed distribution Janet Galpin and Oliver Patterson United Kingdom 3 10-03-2003 07:45 PM