Old 23-12-2005, 01:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
PammyT

Default OT where can I get one of those intercoms for the front door?

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

I think we should be able to ask who is at the door before opening it, I
remember, and that could be a first for me, remembering that is, there

used
to be gadgets you put outside with a speaker and a microphone in, so if
someone rang the bell you could ask who it was before opening the door,

but
I have no idea where one would go for such a gadget.

So, which store do I ask at first?

Alan

Why cannot you simply yell "'oo issit?" through the door, over the sound of
several big dogs barking. Then say "what? I can't hear you" a couple of
times or "hang on, stand very still and I'll open the door, don't move a
muscle cos I can't 'old 'im". You'll find canvassers, salespeople, jehovas
witnesses and the like will have disappeared when you open the door, leaving
only legitimate callers.
Works every time for me :-))

Old 23-12-2005, 03:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

PammyT wrote:

Why cannot you simply yell "'oo issit?" through the door, over the sound of
several big dogs barking. Then say "what? I can't hear you" a couple of
times or "hang on, stand very still and I'll open the door, don't move a
muscle cos I can't 'old 'im". You'll find canvassers, salespeople, jehovas
witnesses and the like will have disappeared when you open the door, leaving
only legitimate callers.
Works every time for me :-))

Me too )

My dogs make a different barking noise if it's friends, postman,
milkman and salespeople. They really like the krishna guy with the
encence sticks - I suppose they smell him miles away. They detest the
postman and whines almost howling for the bin men. I think it's the
truck that bother them. I can also see through the yellow of the
stainglass tulips on the door so if it's a parcel, I tell the chap to
hang on and lock my dogs in their cages. I never needed a door bell.
Summer is a problem as my dogs are outside in the front garden lounging
around and the young one is a bit of a woolf type and she creeps up on
people growling. She's a darling really, but don't tell anyone ;o)

Old 23-12-2005, 03:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden

"Alan Holmes" wrote

I think we should be able to ask who is at the door before opening it, I
remember, and that could be a first for me, remembering that is, there
used to be gadgets you put outside with a speaker and a microphone in, so
if someone rang the bell you could ask who it was before opening the door,
but I have no idea where one would go for such a gadget.

So, which store do I ask at first?

Something like these perhaps, some have camera and TV as well.

Regards
Bob
In Runnymede, 17 miles West of London

Old 24-12-2005, 01:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Alan Gabriel

"Sacha" wrote in message
.uk...
On 22/12/05 14:00, in article ,
"Alan Holmes" wrote:

I think we should be able to ask who is at the door before opening it, I
remember, and that could be a first for me, remembering that is, there
used
to be gadgets you put outside with a speaker and a microphone in, so if
someone rang the bell you could ask who it was before opening the door,
but
I have no idea where one would go for such a gadget.

So, which store do I ask at first?

Try looking at this, Alan:
http://www.grandoffers.co.uk/Default...okiecheck=yes&

Sorry for reply to Sacha post but Alan's is off my server. Don't know how
far he wants to take security but my neighbour and I have been getting all
our security cameras and recorders to cover our houses from here. Might be
overkill for whan he wants.

http://www.y3kvision.com/acatalog/index.html

--
Regards,
Alan.

Old 24-12-2005, 09:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
VX

On Sat, 24 Dec 2005 1:54:22 +0000, Alan Gabriel wrote
(in message ):

Sorry for reply to Sacha post but Alan's is off my server. Don't know how
far he wants to take security but my neighbour and I have been getting all
our security cameras and recorders to cover our houses from here. Might be
overkill for whan he wants.

http://www.y3kvision.com/acatalog/index.html

Is that a particularly good company for this sort of thing? Would you
recommend them? (I believe a recommendation is worth a lot more than a
good-looking web site!) (Not that it isn't a good-looking web site anyway, oh
you know what I mean....)

--
VX (remove alcohol for email)

Old 24-12-2005, 09:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
VX

On Thu, 22 Dec 2005 16:02:35 +0000, Mike Roscoe wrote
(in message ):

"Mike" wrote:
Get yourself a peep hole in the door.
---

OK! So what happens when you look through the
peep hole, see a postman, open the door only to find he isn't ?
It's been done before and with disastrous results.

M.R.

An intercom is useful but it isn't something that suddenly makes you safe.
For example if you answer the intercom and a voice says "Delivery" or "I got
a delivery for you mate", if it has to be signed for as many do, you do
actually need to let them into the building or you won't get your delivery.
As was seen on the UK news recently where a man was murdered in the hallway
of his Chelsea home seconds after admitting a "Postman" who wasn't one,
letting someone into the buidling, if you have no additional security, can be
a bit risky.

I think the answer is to have a metal barred gate over your own (internal or
external) front door and to do business, ie accept and sign for deliveries,
through the bars! They can shoot you through the bars buit they can't get
inside your home. Another variation is to have a front door that has a hatch
or smaller door that opens up within the main door sufficient to sign for
things and allow medium sized parcels to be pased through. Just because you
(probably) can't buy this sort of thing at B & Q doesn't mean it isn't a good
idea.

It sounds alarmist but in some areas these sort of things are necessary. I
visited a health centre in south London a few years ago where there were
posters all over the place in the waiting room saying not to go to the post
office alone but always in groups, and a nearby corner shop had taped-up
smashed plate glass in the window and instead of being able to enter the shop
and wander around, entering through the door brought customers into a metal
cage from which they could access only a short bit of counter. A man,
frightened-looking, would approach and ask what you wanted, and then go
walking among the shelves, find it and bring it to the counter where you paid
for it from the cage and then left the cage/shop via the door, having entered
no more than about a metre into the shop overall. What bothers me is- whover
that man was wanting to keep out- I want to keep them out too! My doctor was
attacked outside his surgery a couple of years ago- someone was waiting to
take his case off him by force, which he duly did. My doc had a few bruises
but nothing too bad. Not long after that the chemists shop two doors away
suddently adopted the policy of keeping the door locked and making customers
ring the doorbell to gain admittance, thus presumably stopping the wrong
people from getting in (again?). The hand-written signs explaining this
precaution did have a certain er, rawness about them. Most of this violence
is in the cities, but not all.

--
VX (remove alcohol for email)

Old 25-12-2005, 12:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Alan Gabriel

"VX" wrote in message
s.com...
On Sat, 24 Dec 2005 1:54:22 +0000, Alan Gabriel wrote
(in message ):

Sorry for reply to Sacha post but Alan's is off my server. Don't know how
far he wants to take security but my neighbour and I have been getting
all
our security cameras and recorders to cover our houses from here. Might
be
overkill for whan he wants.

http://www.y3kvision.com/acatalog/index.html

Is that a particularly good company for this sort of thing? Would you
recommend them? (I believe a recommendation is worth a lot more than a
good-looking web site!) (Not that it isn't a good-looking web site anyway,
oh
you know what I mean....)

We've never had any problems with them. The focus on one camera was faulty
and they replaced it straight away.

We find the b/w cameras better for night vision. We use both colour and b/w
to cover the gardens and car park and find they do a good job. A neighbours
van was broken in to and everything was captured on the HDD. It was a simple
matter of transferring it to video for the Police.

--
Regards,
Alan.

Old 16-01-2006, 02:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Or try http://www.flyonthewall.uk.com/