Old 30-12-2005, 07:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge 2

Default Hello, im new

The message k
from Sacha contains these words:
On 30/12/05 2:06 pm, in article
, "Rusty Hinge 2"
wrote:
snip

That was the winter the fox got my ducks, Ploof and Gabble. (
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/dux.jpg - pic taken in 1946)

The year I was born! What a very "aaaaah" pic - absolutely charming and a
bit Christopher Robin in the nicest sort of way!

Hmmmm.

OK, that's one literary allusion - now - why Ploof and Gabble?

clue

You in the group, if anyone, ought to know!

/clue

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 30-12-2005, 07:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge 2

The message .com
from "La Puce" contains these words:

Rusty Hinge 2 wrote:
(snipette)

Too late. In the winter of 1947/8 my ole man and I rolled-up big
snowballs and built an igloo (for me) with them. It lasted from February
until the beginning of April, and at the end of April the outline of its
foundations still whitened the back lawn.

You can get locked up now for throwing snow balls apparently. My eldest
heard this on the radio yesterday. A gendarme was saying that if
thrown, the snowball was considered as an assault ... What's going on?!
I can't even do my annual conquer fight workshop either (

PC gone mad.

Snowball les Flics, say I.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 01-01-2006, 05:59 PM
Registered User

Location: Herts, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Hinge 2
Really? Yesterday I planted a new hedge, forked over part of the veg
garden and cut the back lawn edges. Today I finished clearing garden
rubbish and prunings and had a bonfire. John spent both days building a
drystone wall.[/color]

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

Any advice would be gratefully received and possibly stop me burning my neighbours house down! lol.
__________________
My newly acquired garden is a work in progress... probably forever!

Hugs, Jane
Old 02-01-2006, 10:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge 2

The message
from Purple Hugs contains these words:
Rusty Hinge 2 Wrote:

Really? Yesterday I planted a new hedge, forked over part of the
veg
garden and cut the back lawn edges. Today I finished clearing garden
rubbish and prunings and had a bonfire. John spent both days building
drystone wall.

--
Rusty
Direct reply to: horrid dot squeak snailything zetnet point co period

Rusty, can I ask the safest way to build a bonfire... I know it sounds
silly, but i've never done it and have moved into a house with it's own
supply of dead brambles. Also, I have added prunings from multiple
roses, more bramles, leaves and now hedge cuttings - as cutting some
back to make space for wheelie bins (to get them out of my front
garden).

I didn't write that, Janet did.

Any advice would be gratefully received and possibly stop me burning my
neighbours house down! lol.

I have a similar problem (Janet doesn't - she lives on an island, so any
damage is limited to the razing of Arran) and I have a 40 gallon steel
drum on three breeze-blocks in which to have my conflagrations.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 02-01-2006, 02:24 PM
Registered User

Location: Herts, UK

Ohhh sorry!
I'm still getting the hang of the quotation thing.

I've an old galvanised dustbin lurking in the garden, perhaps I could use this, will look for something to raise it on though. Good tip, thanks!

__________________

Old 02-01-2006, 04:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Purple Hugs wrote:

Any advice would be gratefully received and possibly stop me burning my
neighbours house down! lol.

You can make a bonfire outta bricks in a circle and keep your burning
at the centre as much as possible. On paving slabs is ok but you'll
damage them and stain them. You can do it directly on the grass - again
it will damage it. So you can for 12 quids get yourself an incinarator
bin from any garden centre. It comes with a lid and a funnel. If you
don't cover it when not in use or put it away, the bottom will
eventually rust and cracks. I'm using one just like that, it simply has
no bottom but I've put bricks around it and the fire is still enclosed
within the bin and I put the top on to slowly burn stuff. NEVER add any
fuel to it EVER. I've bought a new one a few month ago for the back of
my house. Saves me walking about with the bin from one garden to the
other. In my lotty, I have a circle of stones on a patch of grass. I
use this throughout the year and if someone complains, I get a glass of
wine out and everybody's happy )

Old 03-01-2006, 11:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Anthony Anson

The message
from Purple Hugs contains these words:

Ohhh sorry!
I'm still getting the hang of the quotation thing.

I've an old galvanised dustbin lurking in the garden, perhaps I could
use this, will look for something to raise it on though. Good tip,
thanks!

Rusty Hinge 2 Wrote:
The message
from Purple Hugs
contains these
words:
Rusty Hinge 2 Wrote:

Really? Yesterday I planted a new hedge, forked over part of the
veg
garden and cut the back lawn edges. Today I finished clearing
garden
rubbish and prunings and had a bonfire. John spent both days
building
drystone wall.

--
Rusty
Direct reply to: horrid dot squeak snailything zetnet point co
period
uk
Separator in search of a sig

Rusty, can I ask the safest way to build a bonfire... I know it
sounds
silly, but i've never done it and have moved into a house with it's
own
[/color]

Hint No. 1

In this group it's usual to post answers below quoted text, otherwise
things get a bit muddled - IYSWIM.

Hint No. 2

The best thing to do is to get some real newsreading software and access
news through Usenet. This may seem a bit complicated at first, but when
you have it sussed, you have thousands upon thousands of newsgroups to
choose from, and you never know, you might find one/some to mesh with
other absorbing interests. (Mine, for instance, being mycology, hi-fi
and old guns. yours might be alt.support.foster-parents, for example.)

Hint no. 3

Compost as much as you can - saves a lot of smutty washing downwind.
There's not a lot that burns which you can't compost, and unlike ash,
compost improves the soil structure.

Hello, new here and question about Tulips mtostenrude Gardening 0 23-02-2004 02:35 AM
Hello, new here and question about Tulips WiGard Gardening 7 21-02-2004 07:32 PM
Hello - New Name Old Clunker Ponds 2 11-11-2003 06:42 PM
New here - hello Everyone Hazell B United Kingdom 0 06-11-2003 07:47 PM
New Member Saying Hello Gill Osborne United Kingdom 6 17-10-2003 10:22 AM