Old 28-12-2005, 05:14 PM
Registered User

Location: Sunbury
Smile Hello, im new

Hi all, just thought id introduce myself,
I lived in a flat for 10 years and now i have a lovely house and garden which we've had for about a year, I just love working in my garden, but i have so much too learn...........
If i ask really stupid obvious questions I hope you'll bear with me
Kathryn
Old 28-12-2005, 09:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert

Default Hello, im new

--
kathryn

Happy welcome. No such thing as stupid questions-just stupid answers

Old 28-12-2005, 09:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Rupert wrote:

Happy welcome. No such thing as stupid questions-just stupid answers

That's a matter of opinion )

Hullo Kathryn!

Old 29-12-2005, 06:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JennyC

"kathryn" wrote in message

Hi all, just thought id introduce myself,
I lived in a flat for 10 years and now i have a lovely house and garden
which we've had for about a year, I just love working in my garden, but
i have so much too learn...........
If i ask really stupid obvious questions I hope you'll bear with me
Kathryn

Welcome to URG Kathryn
No question is stupid.........ask away :~))
Jenny

Old 29-12-2005, 11:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
80/20

"Rupert" wrote in message

"kathryn" wrote in message

Hi all, just thought id introduce myself,
I lived in a flat for 10 years and now i have a lovely house and garden
which we've had for about a year, I just love working in my garden, but
i have so much too learn...........
If i ask really stupid obvious questions I hope you'll bear with me
Kathryn

--
kathryn

Happy welcome. No such thing as stupid questions-just stupid answers

Kathryn,
Welcome - I've asked some "stupid" questions in the past and lived to tell
the tale.
Just make your question as accurate as you can and you will find that
someone will be able to help.

Enjoy your new house and garden and spare some time to natter to others as
they go by, I have one on the few front gardens in my road that isn't just
lawn and the amount of previously unknown people who stop to chat is
amazing.

Good luck
Steve

Old 29-12-2005, 02:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
June Hughes

In message , kathryn
writes

Hi all, just thought id introduce myself,
I lived in a flat for 10 years and now i have a lovely house and garden
which we've had for about a year, I just love working in my garden, but
i have so much too learn...........
If i ask really stupid obvious questions I hope you'll bear with me
Kathryn

Hello Kathryn

Most people here are friendly and I am sure you will like the group.
Things are a bit quiet on the practical front at the moment but it will
soon be a very busy time for gardeners. Enjoy!

--
June Hughes
Old 29-12-2005, 02:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Kate Morgan

Hi all, just thought id introduce myself,
I lived in a flat for 10 years and now i have a lovely house and garden
which we've had for about a year, I just love working in my garden, but
i have so much too learn...........
If i ask really stupid obvious questions I hope you'll bear with me
Kathryn

Hello Kathryn

Most people here are friendly and I am sure you will like the group.
Things are a bit quiet on the practical front at the moment but it will
soon be a very busy time for gardeners. Enjoy!

hear hear, welcome :-)))
Old 29-12-2005, 06:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Padger

Hello Kathryn

Most people here are friendly and I am sure you will like the group.
Things are a bit quiet on the practical front at the moment but it will
soon be a very busy time for gardeners. Enjoy!

--
June Hughes

When is it NOT a busy time for gardeners?
(my stupid question for the week) Jim
Actually Kathryn this is a useful place for garden info....both to give and
receive.
I do it for a living as well as a hobby and I'm still learning.

Old 29-12-2005, 06:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
June Hughes

In message , Padger
writes

Hello Kathryn

Most people here are friendly and I am sure you will like the group.
Things are a bit quiet on the practical front at the moment but it will
soon be a very busy time for gardeners. Enjoy!

--
June Hughes

When is it NOT a busy time for gardeners?
(my stupid question for the week) Jim
Actually Kathryn this is a useful place for garden info....both to give and
receive.
I do it for a living as well as a hobby and I'm still learning.

I'm just an amateur and as this is my busy time at work, I don't do much
gardening except for what is absolutely necessary. Wrong or not, that
is the way it is. I wouldn't like to do it for a living.
--
June Hughes
Old 29-12-2005, 07:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge 2

The message
from "Padger" contains these words:

When is it NOT a busy time for gardeners?

Now?

It's cold and dark outside, and the garden is covered with a couple of
inches or more of snow, and I'm contempalting the allure of Laphroaig
Quarter Cask against that of a 12 year old Bowmore.

OTOH, there's always the Punt e Mes with a dash of gin and a slice of orange.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

Old 30-12-2005, 11:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge 2

The message
from Janet Baraclough contains these words:
The message
from Rusty Hinge 2 contains these words:

The message
from "Padger" contains these words:

When is it NOT a busy time for gardeners?

Now?

Really? Yesterday I planted a new hedge, forked over part of the veg
garden and cut the back lawn edges. Today I finished clearing garden
rubbish and prunings and had a bonfire. John spent both days building a
drystone wall.

Ah, but you are in the Balmy North West. Here in the Shivering South
East, snowflakes as big as rags are driving and dancing on the wind,
swirling and whirling like ghostly Dervishes in frenzied flurries
outside my windows before finding some spot of stillness and tranquility
and subsiding there to cocoon the winter landscape in a duvet of
Christmas-come-lately.

When, *WHEN* the weather improves a bit, I have some tortuous willow
cuttings to plant, and I'm on the scrounge for apple and other fruit
wood cuttings to begin a rather overcrowded sort-of cross between a laid
and espaliered hedge.

And, rock for dry stane walls is in short supply in East Angular -
though I have built a fair length of new wall and repaired old ones on
the Isle of Lewis where the material is somewhat more plentiful...

Anyone with a Charles Ross? Blenheim? Any of the Codlings?

Pretty please?

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 30-12-2005, 02:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge 2

The message
from Janet Baraclough contains these words:
The message
from Rusty Hinge 2 contains these words:

Here in the Shivering South
East, snowflakes as big as rags are driving and dancing on the wind,
swirling and whirling like ghostly Dervishes in frenzied flurries
outside my windows before finding some spot of stillness and tranquility
and subsiding there to cocoon the winter landscape in a duvet of
Christmas-come-lately.

Ah yes; we have watched in horror as Shivering Southern weather
presenters gasp about "Heavy snowfalls several centimetres deep", and
"Siberian temperatures of -6C ". I particularly enjoyed the
demonstration of "what to carry in the car in case of severe weather
conditions", which included a miniature plastic spade sold here for
childrens' beach play.

Indeed - my bro' and I had a giggle at the snowploughs scraping
imaginary snow off almost clear roads (presumably) for the benefit of
the Idiots' Lantern cameras, and pictures of snow lying at least two
snowflakes deep...

Actually, here in Naaaarfk, the snow was quite respectable, but what's
precipitating has turned to rain now, and the crust that was lying in
sparkling splendour is now looking rather forlorn and slushy.

And, rock for dry stane walls is in short supply in East Angular -

Never mind. If you get one of those plastic Siberia-spades, you can
build an ice wall, like in igloos.

Too late. In the winter of 1947/8 my ole man and I rolled-up big
snowballs and built an igloo (for me) with them. It lasted from February
until the beginning of April, and at the end of April the outline of its
foundations still whitened the back lawn.

That was the winter the fox got my ducks, Ploof and Gabble. (
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/dux.jpg - pic taken in 1946)

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 30-12-2005, 02:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

On 30/12/05 2:06 pm, in article
, "Rusty Hinge 2"
wrote:
snip

That was the winter the fox got my ducks, Ploof and Gabble. (
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/dux.jpg - pic taken in 1946)

The year I was born! What a very "aaaaah" pic - absolutely charming and a
bit Christopher Robin in the nicest sort of way!

--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 30-12-2005, 02:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Rusty Hinge 2 wrote:
(snipette)

Too late. In the winter of 1947/8 my ole man and I rolled-up big
snowballs and built an igloo (for me) with them. It lasted from February
until the beginning of April, and at the end of April the outline of its
foundations still whitened the back lawn.

You can get locked up now for throwing snow balls apparently. My eldest
heard this on the radio yesterday. A gendarme was saying that if
thrown, the snowball was considered as an assault ... What's going on?!
I can't even do my annual conquer fight workshop either (

Old 30-12-2005, 04:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JennyC

"Janet Baraclough" wrote
[...]

Janet

Going totally OT : http://www.icehotel.com/english/index2.htm

There was a program about the hotel on TV last night (Belgium I think...)

It even has a marriage chapel. O ne couple getting married had thermal
underwear, and track suits on .......in bed!

It's made from blocks of ice taken from a local river each winter, they are
stored until it's time to build the hotel afresh each year. The chap who builds
it stood and watched as it slowly melted back into the river in spring.
Jenny

Hello, new here and question about Tulips mtostenrude Gardening 0 23-02-2004 02:35 AM
Hello, new here and question about Tulips WiGard Gardening 7 21-02-2004 07:32 PM
Hello - New Name Old Clunker Ponds 2 11-11-2003 06:42 PM
New here - hello Everyone Hazell B United Kingdom 0 06-11-2003 07:47 PM
New Member Saying Hello Gill Osborne United Kingdom 6 17-10-2003 10:22 AM