Old 02-01-2006, 02:58 PM
Registered User

Exclamation Mahonia

Has anyone here,got advice on when to plant,a mahonia.
TIA
Grumpy!
Old 03-01-2006, 12:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert

Default Mahonia

"grumpy" wrote in message

Has anyone here,got advice on when to plant,a mahonia.
TIA
Grumpy!

Perhaps any advice I give about when something should be planted is
controversial I suggest you don't rely solely on my advice.
Now is fine as is any other time of the year.

Old 03-01-2006, 05:51 AM
Registered User

Thanks Rupert
Allthough your reason for doubting your own wisdom,evades me!
I like straight answers,from real people,makes a change from just being pointed to a www!
Old 03-01-2006, 08:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Charlie Pridham

"Rupert" wrote in message

"grumpy" wrote in message

Has anyone here,got advice on when to plant,a mahonia.
TIA
Grumpy!

Perhaps any advice I give about when something should be planted is
controversial I suggest you don't rely solely on my advice.
Now is fine as is any other time of the year.

Most container grown plants can be planted at any time, you have to watch
with evergreens however that they do not have very cold weather after
planting as they continue to lose moisture but can not replace it via their
roots quickly enough as the ground is frozen and can die of drought in the
middle of winter, so are sometimes recommended for spring planting, while
water hungrey plants were always planted in Autumn but all that has become
much more blurred and most people plant when it suits them these days!
It does no harm to know why the advice was given though.

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 03-01-2006, 06:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Rupert wrote:

Sorry I was not trying to be obscure.
I am an amateur gardener and I tend to deliberately plant the wrong plant in
the wrong place just to satisfy myself that the text books are not always
correct.

Why would you doubt something as obvious as this?! I understand that
one might learn by their mistake, that one might not be able to read,
that one might do an experiment, but this is just too err... weird!

I also tend to move plants and trees around when in full bloom which is not
the recommended procedure.
Advice from someone with such a Cavalier attitude could be dangerous.

I'm not sure why you would like to do this. Would a surgeon do an open
heart surgery whilst the patient is still awake? Dangerous is not even
the word. Nutta more like.

Oh I forgot the ;o)

Old 03-01-2006, 08:54 PM
Registered User

Smile

Thats cool with me Rupert,done some pretty wacky things myself ,along the way! plants can be so forgiving,you would almost believe they were alivehttp://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/images/icons/icon7.gif
Smile
Grampy
Old 03-01-2006, 09:00 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy
Thats cool with me Rupert,done some pretty wacky things myself ,along the way! plants can be so forgiving,you would almost believe they were alivehttp://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/images/icons/icon7.gif
Smile
Grampy
Looks like I havent mastered the smileys yet,thats what happens when you drag them
Grumpy (spelt my name right this time)
Old 05-01-2006, 01:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Rupert wrote:
I don't actually advocate moving trees when they are in full growth and
flowering but through sheer necessity it was move them or see them
bulldozed. Having performed that operation succesfully it gives me no great
difficulty in moving stuff as and when it suits me.
I think lapuce was fairly near the mark calling me a Nutta .Who in their
right senses would want to shift tonnage on that scale?

) Yere nutta.