Old 04-01-2006, 09:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Gardening_Convert

Default Growing Vegetables in Pots

I'm a little stapped for room in my Garden , especially as only part of
it gets plenty of sun.

However I want to grow some vege's this year .

I was thinking of growing some in pots , what grows well in pots , how
big do the pots need to be ?

I will be interplanting some vege's in the borders and have already got
some Garlic and Onions that are overwintering .

Cheers

Colin

Old 04-01-2006, 10:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Joan Riley

On 4 Jan 2006 01:30:19 -0800, "Gardening_Convert"
wrote:

I'm a little stapped for room in my Garden , especially as only part of
it gets plenty of sun.

However I want to grow some vege's this year .

I was thinking of growing some in pots , what grows well in pots , how
big do the pots need to be ?

I will be interplanting some vege's in the borders and have already got
some Garlic and Onions that are overwintering .

Cheers

Colin

When I worked on site in Stone in Staffordshire in a portacabin I
planted 3 pots (8 inch) with runner beans just outside the door (one
to a pot if I remember rightly) with a cane in each pot. They did
well and many a night we picked a couple of handfuls of runnerbeans
for our tea on our way home.

Potatoes also do well, but make sure they are well in the open - I
grew some in half barrels in the shelter of a hedge and they all died
from mildew and blight and not a potato underneath.

Joan in Ayrshire
remove 'spam' from email to reply
Old 04-01-2006, 03:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Gardening_Convert wrote:

However I want to grow some vege's this year .
I was thinking of growing some in pots , what grows well in pots , how
big do the pots need to be ?

I am going to be lazy and I'll refer you to one of the best website I
know about the subject.
http://www.mikesgarden.co.uk/containergardening.htm

I have grown any kind of veg in any kind of containers for years. I've
had successes and I've had horrors. I got the bug when I lived on the
12th floor and only had a balcony. The strangest the container, the
happier it makes me feel. Last year I tried cucumbers in a rubber vase.
It was perfect because they needed a lot of water and the container was
just perfect for it. It is the easiest way of growing I think, since
you can move them about, some are very decorative, and pest is less
likely to get at them too. I use copper sticking tape for some of my
containers for the slugs. You need lots of air around them too. Think
about how much water the veg you want to grow need, mulch well on top
to keep moisture in and start all your pots with the best drainage you
can do. A good start gives you the best veg. Don't over crowd your
plants or sow too many seeds. Do as much thining has you can when it
gets too crowded. Successional sowing of peas in your pots is better
than sowing too many the first time around. So leave some space (10 to
15cm apart). You can grow anything you want, but think of the depth of
your pots. Finally your compost. I make mixes most of the time because
I've got stuff left at the bottom of bags, home compost ... but I use
lots of manure. So try to imagine your pots as little plots of land and
use plenty of comfrey juice to feed the hungry ones )

Old 06-01-2006, 05:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Elizabeth

wrote:

I'm a little stapped for room in my Garden , especially as only part of
it gets plenty of sun.

However I want to grow some vege's this year .

I was thinking of growing some in pots , what grows well in pots , how
big do the pots need to be ?

I will be interplanting some vege's in the borders and have already got
some Garlic and Onions that are overwintering .

Cheers

Colin

I grew carrots very sucessfully in a deep pot last season.
Elizabeth in Renfrewshire, Scotland.
Removex to reply
Old 07-01-2006, 08:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JennyC

"Gardening_Convert" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm a little stapped for room in my Garden , especially as only part of
it gets plenty of sun.

However I want to grow some vege's this year .

I was thinking of growing some in pots , what grows well in pots , how
big do the pots need to be ?

I will be interplanting some vege's in the borders and have already got
some Garlic and Onions that are overwintering .
Cheers Colin

Runner beans do really will in LARGE pots. They need regular watering, but I've
had good results.

Tomatoes of course, and all kinds of herbs.

Cut and come again salad.

Jenny

Old 07-01-2006, 09:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
June Hughes

In message .com,
Gardening_Convert writes
I'm a little stapped for room in my Garden , especially as only part of
it gets plenty of sun.

However I want to grow some vege's this year .

I was thinking of growing some in pots , what grows well in pots , how
big do the pots need to be ?

I will be interplanting some vege's in the borders and have already got
some Garlic and Onions that are overwintering .

'Which' Gardening did an experiment a few years ago and I grew carrots
in pots. They turned out to be rather small and needed much watering.
--
June Hughes
Old 07-01-2006, 03:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Neil Cairns

wrote:

I'm a little stapped for room in my Garden , especially as only part of
it gets plenty of sun.

However I want to grow some vege's this year .

I was thinking of growing some in pots , what grows well in pots , how
big do the pots need to be ?

I will be interplanting some vege's in the borders and have already got
some Garlic and Onions that are overwintering .

Cheers

Colin

Most veg can be grown in pots or troughs and you
can also grow potatoes in old compost bags roll the bag down put
a deep lair of compost with three chitted potatoes spread on top cover
with more compost, when you have growth cover with more compost
just leaving the top leafs showing, as you get more growth keep
topping up.
Water and feed on a regular basis.
If you know someone with an allotment ask if you can have some Salad
seed potatoes as a bag will be too many for just one compost bag.
Neil