Old 05-01-2006, 08:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert

Default Any ideas please

"stuart" wrote in message
We have a half acre bit of land (in Cornwall), and want to start growing
something for some extra income. We have a Poly tunnel and could get some
more if needed. Whatever crop we grew would get good attention and care,
so high maintenance crops would be no problem. Any ideas on what would be
a premium crop for such a small bit of land?
TIA
Stuart

Where in Cornwall ? Is this your garden or an allotment? What type of
soil?
A bit more info and I am certain you will get some good suggestions

Old 05-01-2006, 09:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sam

stuart wrote:
We have a half acre bit of land (in Cornwall), and want to start growing
something for some extra income. We have a Poly tunnel and could get some
more if needed. Whatever crop we grew would get good attention and care, so
high maintenance crops would be no problem. Any ideas on what would be a
premium crop for such a small bit of land?
TIA
Stuart

If the land qualifies for organic status go for it.It's the future.

Sam
Old 05-01-2006, 09:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Phil L

stuart wrote:
We have a half acre bit of land (in Cornwall), and want to start
growing something for some extra income. We have a Poly tunnel and
could get some more if needed. Whatever crop we grew would get good
attention and care, so high maintenance crops would be no problem. Any
ideas on what would be a premium crop for such a small bit of
land? TIA
Stuart

Please fix your computer time, you posted this today at 7PM but it landed
tomorrow morning at 10:06AM.

Old 05-01-2006, 09:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
PammyT

--
www.fenland-fowl.com
"stuart" wrote in message
We have a half acre bit of land (in Cornwall), and want to start growing
something for some extra income. We have a Poly tunnel and could get some
more if needed. Whatever crop we grew would get good attention and care,

so
high maintenance crops would be no problem. Any ideas on what would be a
premium crop for such a small bit of land?
TIA
Stuart

Perhaps early flowers. Or tomatoes but choose varieties which are expensive
in the supermarkets like plum ones, or courgettes, aubergines.

Old 05-01-2006, 10:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jeanne Stockdale

"stuart" wrote in message
We have a half acre bit of land (in Cornwall), and want to start growing
something for some extra income. We have a Poly tunnel and could get some
more if needed. Whatever crop we grew would get good attention and care,
so high maintenance crops would be no problem. Any ideas on what would be
a premium crop for such a small bit of land?
TIA
Stuart

We moved to our present location some 4 years ago and with the house came a
large glasshouse. We began growing strawberries in growbags.We set up a
series of benches to put the growbags on (rather than having them on the
ground). We started off with just a few plants given to us by friends and,
each year since then, we have cultivated more and more from the runners.
Being under cover, they fruit considerably earlier than those grown
outdoors. They are fairly easy to look after. We sell ours to the boaters
going by on the canal (which runs alongside our house) and also put a sign
out on the road when we have a surplus.

It is probably also worth considering such things as peppers, aubergines,
etc etc

Jeanne

Old 05-01-2006, 10:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
MrBlueSkye

"stuart" wrote in message
We have a half acre bit of land (in Cornwall), and want to start growing
something for some extra income. We have a Poly tunnel and could get some
more if needed. Whatever crop we grew would get good attention and care,
so high maintenance crops would be no problem. Any ideas on what would be
a premium crop for such a small bit of land?
TIA
Stuart

Ask the same question on uk.business.agriculture Stuart, it's wall to wall
farmers from across the UK and a mine of information.
MBS

Old 05-01-2006, 11:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

On 6/1/06 10:06, in article , "stuart"
wrote:

We have a half acre bit of land (in Cornwall), and want to start growing
something for some extra income. We have a Poly tunnel and could get some
more if needed. Whatever crop we grew would get good attention and care, so
high maintenance crops would be no problem. Any ideas on what would be a
premium crop for such a small bit of land?

Herbs to supply local shops and restaurants?

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 06-01-2006, 12:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
**bg**

"stuart" wrote in message
We have a half acre bit of land (in Cornwall), and want to start growing
something for some extra income. We have a Poly tunnel and could get some
more if needed. Whatever crop we grew would get good attention and care,
so high maintenance crops would be no problem. Any ideas on what would be
a premium crop for such a small bit of land?
TIA
Stuart

Hi Stuart,

Hey, try grapes, old crops make fine raisins, good organic crop to grow as
many commercial and wine grapes are sprayed with sulphites, yuk eh..

-RjC
www.lchb.ca

Old 06-01-2006, 09:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Charlie Pridham

"stuart" wrote in message
We have a half acre bit of land (in Cornwall), and want to start growing
something for some extra income. We have a Poly tunnel and could get some
more if needed. Whatever crop we grew would get good attention and care,

so
high maintenance crops would be no problem. Any ideas on what would be a
premium crop for such a small bit of land?
TIA
Stuart

Highest £ per acre seems to be Tea at the moment, I couldn't quite believe
how much Tregothnan get for it! but I would suggest you get the soil
properly analysed as you may find it difficult to grow anything in the open
ground if you are unlucky. Mining in parts of Cornwall have rendered the
soil toxic to a range of plant types, we for instance can not grow
Rhododendrons despite an acid soil, although we have noticed 20 years of
mulching and feeding has created a better surface layer and we can now grow
most shallow rooted plants.
--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 07-01-2006, 01:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge 2

The message
from "Charlie Pridham" contains these words:

Highest £ per acre seems to be Tea at the moment, I couldn't quite believe
how much Tregothnan get for it! but I would suggest you get the soil
properly analysed as you may find it difficult to grow anything in the open
ground if you are unlucky. Mining in parts of Cornwall have rendered the
soil toxic to a range of plant types, we for instance can not grow
Rhododendrons despite an acid soil, although we have noticed 20 years of
mulching and feeding has created a better surface layer and we can now grow
most shallow rooted plants.

I knew there was something nagging away at the back of my mind - tea! I
had intended trying the Tregothnan offering until I saw the price.

OK, I sometimes pay that and more for a good Darjeeling, but I'd
certainly want to try a cup of the stuff before parting with loot on
such a scale.

The main drawback with tea is of course that the bushes take a few years
of growing before they can be plucked. That, and if you're growing from
the nuts, they don't remain viable for long, and often don't germinate
at all. (I've never managed to get one to shoot, even.)

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 07-01-2006, 05:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Charlie Pridham

"Rusty Hinge 2" wrote in message
k...
[...]

They grow all their new bushes from cuttings and are cropping usually within
3 years, but you are right its not instant returns, similar with Christmas
trees (plus security may be a problem these days ) and it would of course
depend on the wind shelter and altitude of the site.
But as I earn my living off a space a lot smaller than half an acre its not
as daft as it sounds :~)
--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Any ideas on quality etc etc of fruit trees from Deacon's, any experiences plz spender United Kingdom 2 18-02-2011 10:52 PM
Any ideas please Stuart United Kingdom 0 06-01-2006 10:21 AM
Cats any ideas update auntie_biotic United Kingdom 3 25-04-2003 12:08 AM
Mahonia disease - any ideas? Andrew Thomson United Kingdom 6 31-03-2003 02:32 AM
Fish Disappearing...any ideas?? FIRE224U Ponds 5 29-01-2003 04:47 PM