Old 06-01-2006, 09:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Cheryl

Default Orchid houseplant

Hi,

I was bought a lovely orchid for my birthday in july which stayed in
beautiful bloom for months. Unfortunately all the flowers dropped off and
now the stem they were on have dried up and gone all shriveled up like
little twigs. The leaves at the bottom are still bright green, long and look
quite healthy.
Does this mean that my plant is still alive or has it gone to plant heaven?
I have had no previous experience with Orchids so was hoping someone here
could help. If its still alive and will reflower do I have to cut the stems
down to the base so they grow again?
Thanks in advance for any possible help

Cheryl

Old 06-01-2006, 10:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden

"Cheryl" wrote
I was bought a lovely orchid for my birthday in july which stayed in
beautiful bloom for months. Unfortunately all the flowers dropped off and
now the stem they were on have dried up and gone all shriveled up like
little twigs. The leaves at the bottom are still bright green, long and
look quite healthy.
Does this mean that my plant is still alive or has it gone to plant
heaven? I have had no previous experience with Orchids so was hoping
someone here could help. If its still alive and will reflower do I have to
cut the stems down to the base so they grow again?
Thanks in advance for any possible help

Your first task is to ID the plant as there are so many orchids with so
many different needs it would be impossible to give advice on culture
without an ID.

However, from your description I am guessing it is a Phaelonopsis hybrid
often called a Moth orchid (the Butterfly Orchid is something else) but I
might be wrong.
Large leathery strap shaped leaves grow flat just above the growing medium
and throw up flowering stalks from the short stem on which appear numerous
long lived flowers. Roots are thick and grey with a green tip (if growing
well) and tend to grow outside the pot and cling on permanently to anything
they touch.
If the flowering stalks have died it's a shame as they often reflower, but
it's not the end of the plant, with the correct care it will throw up more
spikes with more flowers in a few months.
Cut the brown dead stems off as near the base as possible, and learn the
plants requirements.

--
Regards
Bob

Old 06-01-2006, 10:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

On 6/1/06 21:32, in article ,
"Cheryl" wrote:

Hi,

I was bought a lovely orchid for my birthday in july which stayed in
beautiful bloom for months. Unfortunately all the flowers dropped off and
now the stem they were on have dried up and gone all shriveled up like
little twigs. The leaves at the bottom are still bright green, long and look
quite healthy.
Does this mean that my plant is still alive or has it gone to plant heaven?
I have had no previous experience with Orchids so was hoping someone here
could help. If its still alive and will reflower do I have to cut the stems
down to the base so they grow again?
Thanks in advance for any possible help

It's still alive and will send up new stems and flowers if you keep it cool
and pretty dry. They thrive on neglect.

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 08-01-2006, 01:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
kenty;\)

"Sacha" wrote in message
.uk...
On 6/1/06 21:32, in article
,
"Cheryl" wrote:

[...]

I dont know about cool, if it is phalaenopsis they like around 55/60f
min.Overwatering these is the biggest killer,water once every week or two in
winter and probably more in summer.Allow the water to drain from the pot
otherwise you will rot the roots then kill the plant.This is very important
if it is also kept inside a decorative pot!
Give it bright light,not direct sun.And try not to pamper it too much just
because it is a orchid.
Thanks Keith

Old 08-01-2006, 04:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

On 8/1/06 13:58, in article ,
"kenty" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
.uk...
On 6/1/06 21:32, in article
,
"Cheryl" wrote:

[...]

Ahem. I'd call 55 to 60F 'cool' as in not 70F which is about where I prefer
house temps to be! Absolutely agree with you on the watering and not
pampering because it's an orchid - guaranteed killers for all too many
plants.

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 08-01-2006, 10:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
kenty;\)

"Sacha" wrote in message
.uk...
On 8/1/06 13:58, in article ,
"kenty" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
.uk...
On 6/1/06 21:32, in article
,
"Cheryl" wrote:

[...]

Yeh, but we are talking about a orchid?Not a human being.
Cheers Keith

Old 08-01-2006, 11:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden

"Bob Hobden" wrote

"Cheryl" wrote
[...]

Some links you may find interesting...