Old 13-01-2006, 12:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Alan Holmes

Default Damned potatoes!

The potatoes I have in store are all beging to sprout, is there any way of
stopping this happening?

I'm still eating the first earlies, and I have no idea what the others are
doing.

They are stored in a shed covered to exclude the light, but as the shed is
partly hidden under a large privet there is very little light anyway.

Alan

Old 13-01-2006, 01:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Emrys Davies

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

The potatoes I have in store are all beging to sprout, is there any

way of
stopping this happening?

I'm still eating the first earlies, and I have no idea what the others

are
doing.

They are stored in a shed covered to exclude the light, but as the

shed is
partly hidden under a large privet there is very little light anyway.

Alan

Potatoes sprout as a result of exposure to light or a warm temperature.
45F-50F is ideal. Also, there needs to be good ventilation. Are they
stored near to apples as the latter gives off ethylene gas which causes
sprouting.

What you need is that deep, dark, cold cellar which we had on the farm.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.