Old 16-01-2006, 12:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Aled Evans

Default Effects of magnetic water on plants?

As a supplier of magnetic products ,I have heard from many customers about
the benefits of giving water which has been left in a container on a
magnetic coaster to various plants.

The more normal use is for consumption by humans which brings various health
benefits.

What I would like to know is whether anyone knows of any trials or tests
that have been carried out on this subject?

Thank you,

Aled Evans
www.healthmagnet.ik.com
www.letsescape.co.uk

Old 16-01-2006, 02:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Martin Brown

Aled Evans wrote:

As a supplier of magnetic products ,I have heard from many customers about
the benefits of giving water which has been left in a container on a
magnetic coaster to various plants.

The more normal use is for consumption by humans which brings various health
benefits.

Most notably due to a lightening of the wallet.
Take your snake oil spam elsewhere.

Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 16-01-2006, 02:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden

"Martin Brown" wrote after Aled Evans wrote:

As a supplier of magnetic products ,I have heard from many customers
about the benefits of giving water which has been left in a container on
a magnetic coaster to various plants.

The more normal use is for consumption by humans which brings various
health benefits.

Most notably due to a lightening of the wallet.
Take your snake oil spam elsewhere.

Hold on a moment Martin, I have been wondering for a while if this proven
item...
http://www.waterimp.co.uk/ and similar
would have any effect, good or bad, on plants.

Probably not as it's approved for use in the UK on drinking water.

But how about using the water on acid loving plants? Would it provide more
suitable water for those plants than straight hard tap water?
Anyone use one?
--
Regards
Bob

Old 16-01-2006, 02:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
John McMillan

In article , "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

"Martin Brown" wrote after Aled Evans wrote:

Take your snake oil spam elsewhere.

Please do.

Hold on a moment Martin, I have been wondering for a while if this proven
item...
http://www.waterimp.co.uk/ and similar
would have any effect, good or bad, on plants.

Well, it might be a "proven item", but I'm extremely sceptical
as to whether the "waterimp" or any other magnetic device can have the
slightest effect on water hardness or calcium carbonate deposition rate.
Please show me some unequivocal evidence, optionally followed up
with a tenable theory to explain why it does.

Probably not as it's approved for use in the UK on drinking water.

eh?

But how about using the water on acid loving plants? Would it provide more
suitable water for those plants than straight hard tap water?

Well artificially softened water would probably be better for such plants
than straight hard tap water. Assuming, that is, that you're actually
in a hard water area. Messing about with magnets is unlikely to be
a very rewarding experience.

Anyone use one?

I bet they do, too...
Old 17-01-2006, 09:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Larry Stoter

John McMillan wrote:

snip ....
Well, it might be a "proven item", but I'm extremely sceptical
as to whether the "waterimp" or any other magnetic device can have the
slightest effect on water hardness or calcium carbonate deposition rate.
Please show me some unequivocal evidence, optionally followed up
with a tenable theory to explain why it does.

snip ...

I am highly sceptical of all such gadgets, along with 'the power of
crystals', copper bracelets and similar, not to mention christianity,
crop circles, pyramids and all the rest.

However, a few years ago we moved to an area with very hard water. I saw
an ad for a device to fit to the mains inlet to reduce hadness - as it
cost something like £12, I thought I'd give it a go. Much to my
surprise, it does work. Not 100% or even 90% but scale deposits are
significantly reduced - instead of having to clean the glass shower
screen after every shower, it now needs doing only every couple of
weeks. Interestingly, the heavy scale deposits in the electric kettle
started to dissolve. Again, they didn't disappear but were significantly
reduced.

The device consist of a box which clips onto the water mains inlet. It
has two wires coming out of it which are coiled tightly around the water
pipe. The box plugs into the mains. Two points to note on the
'instructions' were that it supposedly works more effectively with metal
water pipes and the wires should be coiled in opposition, i.e. one coil
clockwise, the other anticlockwise. The explanation as to how it worked
was mumbo jumbo but indicted that it was generating AC over a range of
frequencies.

I haven't any idea as to what it is doing but it is certainly working to
a limited extent. With some research, it could probably be made much
more efficient.

As to the waterimp, I can't see that a static magnetic field is going to
has the slightest effect on water chemistry. But, it doesn't seem
impossible for changing electromagnetic fields to change the chemistry
of the ions in the water.

Anyone understand the physics/chemistry of what it is doing?

--
Larry Stoter

Old 18-01-2006, 09:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Larry Stoter wrote:
John McMillan wrote:

snip ....
[...]

Did you compare your results with another identical (or at least similar)
house without the magnetic conditioner? How do you know that the water
didn't simply get a little less hard?

Magnetic conditioners do have a small, measureable effect I believe
but I thought it was too small to be significant or noticeable in
domestic usage.

--
Chris Green

Old 18-01-2006, 11:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Alan Holmes

"Larry Stoter" wrote in message
. co.uk...
John McMillan wrote:

snip ....
[...]

Where on earth did you find one at £12, the only ones I've seen are very
much dearer than that.

Alan

Old 16-01-2006, 02:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle

Bob Hobden wrote:
[...]

Sounds a bit snake-oily to me, but they do quote (though without
reference to the full report) a report from somebody at the U of
Bath. In their quotation from that report the tester said "The Super
Imp device has been shown not to effect the pH of water passing
through piping where it has been installed", so it doesn't actually
soften the water.

--
Mike.

Old 16-01-2006, 03:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Des Higgins

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
Bob Hobden wrote:
[...]

And they should know about plumbing in Bath.

Des

--
Mike.

Old 16-01-2006, 04:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle

Des Higgins wrote:
"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
Bob Hobden wrote:
[...]

Nicely observed! I hadn't spotted that. I don't suppose they've got a
University of Looe yet, but it's only a matter of time.

--
Mike.

Old 16-01-2006, 03:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Mike Lyle wrote:
Bob Hobden wrote:
"Martin Brown" wrote after Aled Evans wrote:

Hold on a moment Martin, I have been wondering for a while if this
proven item...
http://www.waterimp.co.uk/ and similar
would have any effect, good or bad, on plants.

Probably not as it's approved for use in the UK on drinking water.

But how about using the water on acid loving plants? Would it

provide
more suitable water for those plants than straight hard tap water?
Anyone use one?

Sounds a bit snake-oily to me, but they do quote (though without
reference to the full report) a report from somebody at the U of
Bath. In their quotation from that report the tester said "The Super
Imp device has been shown not to effect the pH of water passing
through piping where it has been installed", so it doesn't actually
soften the water.

Huh? What has pH got to do with hardness?

As far as I can remember from endless discussions of these devices on
uk.d-i-y they *may* have some effect on the amount of deposition of
limescale on pipes etc. However (if I remember correctly) this effect
is only useful/measureable in recirculating systems. Their effect on
domestic water systems is not worth bothering about and, as I
understand it, they'll have no effect at all on the plants the water
is used on.

--
Chris Green

Old 16-01-2006, 11:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Alan Holmes

"Aled Evans" wrote in message
As a supplier of magnetic products ,I have heard from many customers about
the benefits of giving water which has been left in a container on a
magnetic coaster to various plants.

The more normal use is for consumption by humans which brings various
health benefits.

What I would like to know is whether anyone knows of any trials or tests
that have been carried out on this subject?

I didn't know you could magnetise water!

You learn something new every day!

But it just a load of rubbish, and if anyone is stupid enugh to actually buy
these things you are even more of an idiot that you think!

Even the crap about health benifits to humans!

Alan

Thank you,

Aled Evans
www.healthmagnet.ik.com
www.letsescape.co.uk

Old 17-01-2006, 09:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Alan Holmes wrote:

I didn't know you could magnetise water!

You can magnetise pretty well anything at 10 tesla.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.