Old 19-01-2006, 02:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
les

Default Hellebores

There was recently a discussion on this newsgroup which suggested that in
order to see the flowers to their best effect you should remove all of the
old leaves. I have a Hellebores Niger which has lots of good, strong, heathy
growth which completely hides several flower buds underneath. As this is the
first time I have planted Hellebores I am unsure what to do. Should I remove
this healthy growth or should I just leave it and the flower stems will grow
above it?

Les

Old 19-01-2006, 04:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Tweedy

In article , les
writes
There was recently a discussion on this newsgroup which suggested that in
order to see the flowers to their best effect you should remove all of the
old leaves. I have a Hellebores Niger which has lots of good, strong, heathy
growth which completely hides several flower buds underneath. As this is the
first time I have planted Hellebores I am unsure what to do. Should I remove
this healthy growth or should I just leave it and the flower stems will grow
above it?

Les

The discussion was that you cut the OLD leaves from last year. Leave
this years leaves and the young ones on! It wasn't to display the
flowers, not sure why you thought that.
It is to clean up the plant and to stop diseases being carried over from
one year to next.
The plant needs its new leaves.
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 19-01-2006, 04:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Janet Tweedy wrote:
The discussion was that you cut the OLD leaves from last year. Leave
this years leaves and the young ones on! It wasn't to display the
flowers, not sure why you thought that.
It is to clean up the plant and to stop diseases being carried over from
one year to next.
The plant needs its new leaves.

Yes - JennyC advised to remove the old leaves which looked ... well
old, but nothing more to this. Certainly do not remove young shoots nor
leaves )

Old 20-01-2006, 04:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Roscoe

As the flowers of H. niger in particular, need some form of
protection at this time of the year, I would not remove any
healthy leaves as they are providing the flowers with cover.
As they mature, the flowers will grow through the leaves,
at least mine always do.
I wait until at least May or June before removing
any dead hellebore leaves, and then only when they have
turned brown and brittle.

M.R.

"les" asked in a message:
snip