Old 23-01-2006, 08:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Marion

Default rhododendron question -link to pics

Hello,
Been meaning to write regarding a couple of my rhododendrons. These plants
are near each other and I've had them in the same space in garden for about
5 years.

I noticed that after the snow of a fortnight ago that one of the plants has
leaves that are drooping downwards (a1 & a2) in pics whereas the other plant
is still perky (b1 and b2).

The plants are not covered and I am wondering if the snow which laid on the
leaves has affected the plant and whether it will recover.

Can I have your advice please ?

The photos are at http://tinyurl.com/cp6ze
Thanks.

M.

Old 23-01-2006, 09:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Baraclough

The message
from "Marion" [email protected] contains these words:

Hello,
Been meaning to write regarding a couple of my rhododendrons. These plants
are near each other and I've had them in the same space in garden for about
5 years.

I noticed that after the snow of a fortnight ago that one of the plants has
leaves that are drooping downwards (a1 & a2) in pics whereas the other plant
is still perky (b1 and b2).

The plants are not covered and I am wondering if the snow which laid on the
leaves has affected the plant and whether it will recover.

That's a normal protective reaction of rhododendrons to cold weather.
How cold it needs to be, before they lower (and sometimes fold or roll)
the leaves, varies considerably between different species. When the
weather warms up and the plant sucks up enough water to rehydrate the
leaves, they will return to normal position none the worse for wear.

Janet

Janet
Old 24-01-2006, 06:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rod Craddock

"Marion" [email protected] wrote in message
Hello,
Been meaning to write regarding a couple of my rhododendrons. These
plants
are near each other and I've had them in the same space in garden
for about
5 years.

I noticed that after the snow of a fortnight ago that one of the
plants has
leaves that are drooping downwards

Like Janet said, that's a typical response to cold - some do it more
than others. You've had them for about 5yrs so this is probably the
first time it's been cold enough to provoke this response. Yes, it is
worrying the first time you see it.

--
Rod

My real address is rodtheweedygardeneratmyweedyisp
Just remove the weedy bits
and transplant the appropriate symbol at.